“Afternoon without the tea”

Barton Grange Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We like the occasional afternoon tea and booked the Walled Garden on a Travelzoo offer which at £20 for two was a great deal. As JoolieBoo says it is a lovely restaurant, and even in late February, the view of the walled garden is very relaxing. The champagne came along first and was crisp and dry with not too much fizz. Delicious. The plate of sandwiches and cakes followed, beautifully presented. Delicate bite size pieces and light fluffy cakes, but where was the tea? We had almost finished eating the small feast when it finally arrived, after a polite reminder to the young waitress. Sorry ladies, but the quality of service on this occasion could have been better. You were not exactly overrun with customers. We have been to Barton Grange many times previously and will no doubt go again, but they need to be a little more attentive next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Eloic-Montagnier, General Manager at Barton Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Ian4,
thank you for taking the time to review your experience in the Walled Garden for our very popular afternoon tea, please accept my apologies if on this occasion our standards of service fell short. I have personally discussed this issues with my senior team to ensure that it does not happen again. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Regards

Reviewed 9 February 2014

we booked an Executive Room but also requested a quiet room. After booking we were immediately called and as the Executive Rooms are above the function room it was suggested that we stay in a Superior Room instead. The room had been recently upgraded and it was in good order, except for the bed which was rickety and squeaky, moreover, the supposed double bed was in fact 2 singles pushed together.

The restaurant was fantastic

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are quieter than the Executive rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Andy C,
thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry to read that you felt our beds are "terrible" I was very surprised to read your comments and as you can see from previous reviews it is not something we have had an issue with in the past. please feel free to contact me directly when planning a return visit and I will personally ensure that your stay is a great one. Best wishes

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Booked an overnight stay for my parents as part of their Christmas present and have to say that they had a great time. Many thanks to all the staff for looking after them so wonderfully well and making sure they had a really good time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your fantastic review, I am pleased to read that your parents have had a great time. Best wishes

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Had a lovely Champagne afternoon tea last week at the Walled Garden restaurant at Barton Grange Hotel Preston.

The restaurant is lovely and as its title suggests it overlooks the walled garden at the hotel. The food, champagne and tea and coffee were all lovely and the staff were polite and helpful.

Will definitely be visiting again.

Room Tip: Look on Travelzoo for afternoon tea offers at the Barton Grange
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Walled Garden Restaurant, I was glad to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst visiting several different places on business in the area. It was recommended to me and I was not disappointed. Stayed in one of the lodge rooms - which I believe are slightly cheaper, but are nice and comfortable. The pool was lovely and I was the only person in it 3 mornings running. Food good and everyone very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at the barton grange hotel on Saturday night. We booked the winter warmer deal for £150, for this we got afternoon tea with champagne, a beautiful bedroom, £18.50pp towards a meal in the walled garden bistro, use of the pool and sauna and a delicious all you can eat breakfast. For what we got and the quality of the room and food this was a complete bargain. Firstly we went for afternoon tea which was delicious, beautiful homemade sandwiches and cakes with a glass of champagne and a pot of tea each, it was a lovely way to start our stay. We then went up to our room which was a very pleasant surprise, we thought that because we had booked a package deal we may have got one of the less nice rooms but this wasn't at all the case, our room was incredibly comfy, spacious, modern and very clean. We had a complimentary bottle of rose chilling in our fridge and much to my husbands delight a nespresso machine. When we went down for dinner that evening the staff were all very pleasant and helpful and we were given a lovely table by the window, it felt very private and intimate. The best part of our stay was the food, it was just out of this world. My husband has soup to start which he said was beautiful, for mains we both had steak, my husband had veal steak and I had rump steak. Now I have never had a steak cooked as well as that in my life and my husband said the same, it was just incredible. We also heard many other people asking the waitresses to compliment the chef. For dessert my husband had the ice cream creation and I had panna cotta, both which were homemade and very yummy! We were pleasantly surprised that with our £18.50pp allowance we only had to pay just over £30 towards it and that included drinks! Granted drinks aren't the cheapest but that's to be expected at hotels these days! We had an extremely comfortable nights sleep and breakfast the next morning was delicious!! Also if you stay here we recommend a visit to the barton grange garden centre just down the road, it's a lovely place to visit for an hour or so! Thank you for a lovely stay Barton Grange, it's just what we needed and we will definitely be back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna W
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Great night sleep, and breakfast in bed was exceptional. Would definitely advise any gentleman to take his girlfriend here, run her a nice bubble bath stick sone candles on and you're in for a great night.
The rooms were very clean, and the beds were huge. There's not a lot to do in the area but the walled garden was pretty and had a relaxed atmosphere.

Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Preston Marriott Hotel
Lancaster House
Lancaster House
#1 of 6 in Lancaster
Best Western Garstang Country Hotel And Golf Centre

Been to Barton Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!