“Afternoon tea letdown”

Dining options: Reservations
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea letdown”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My daughter booked afternoon tea at this hotel for a treat for her, me and her grandmother. It turned out to be a very disappointing experience.

Approaching the hotel and through the reception area we were very impressed, it was lovely,decorated really nice for christmas and immaculately clean however we were then directed through to a bar area where a table had been reserved. This was in a corner in what felt like an annexed area of the bar,with children running up and down a walkway next to us. This did not provide a good relaxing ambience conducive to an afternoon tea experience.

The sandwiches and cakes were very mediocre and scones cold all obviously made much earlier and refrigerated.the cake stand was broken with no lovely china cups and saucers to be seen.

The service was terrible. We had to go over to the bar to ask for our teas to be refreshed.

We left feeling very letdown with my daughter feeling embarrassed as she purchased this for a gift to us.

Don't bother going to this hotel a big waste of time.

• Visited December 2013

Scotland
“Sad decline of standards”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have eaten here several times over recent years as I enjoy staying at the hotel, but the most recent experience was very poor. We were on a d ,b & b rate. The set dinner was awful, the pate was greasy and tasteless and my chicken was overcooked and tough. My wife's salmon was also overcooked and dry. The vegetables were tired and guess what..they were overcooked too. Service was willing but not well trained and we waited a long time for bad food. We declined the desserts. This was one of the worst meals I've had in a while and not patch on what I have come to expect here. Perhaps they were over-stretched by a wedding party, if so they should have been better prepared as they knew how many they would be catering for. All in all, a real disappointment
Please take a lesson from the Marriott Hollins Hall Hotel in Shipley where they now have partnership with River Cottage and the food and service have been transformed.

• Visited November 2013
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Chalk and cheese”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights...on the first night(Friday) I ate at the restaurant by myself (wife was at a party) the food and service was superb, so decided to book for Saturday night and take my wife....Big mistake, the food (I had the exact same meal as Friday) and the service was terrible ...it took 1h 30m to get our starter and when it arrived it was cold and raw....sent it back and caused a fuss and to be honest the waiter dealt with my compliant...when I said I wasn't paying for the starters or the bottle of wine because everything was so poor.....how two nights could be so inconsistent
should be a worry to the hotel...but I doubt it!!......don't eat here on a Saturday!

Visited November 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Ok as a bed for the night.”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We were eating at a local restaurant with friends and decided to stay at the Marriott rather than drive home. The hotel has a newer annex to the rear which we had stated in before, however this time we were allocated a room in the older part, we were expecting a little more 'oldie, quaint' room but the room just seemed the same as on the previous visit. We were meeting up in the hotel bar, which had very limited seating and when we did find a seat was bluntly told by a member of staff that we had to move 'as these seats are reserved'. On returning to the hotel later in the evening the car park was full with guests driving round and round hoping to get that elusive parking space, but best of all when we returned to the bar the area we had previously been moved from was still unoccupied and looked as though it had been all night. Didn't stay for breakfast in the morning, it seamed pricey and talking about price if you want to use the hotel Wifi, use the bar area as it is free for all, whilst if you wish to use the guest Wifi in your room you have to pay.

Visited August 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

3 course set menu had great choices and everything was delicious. We also had a cake to present to our best friend which the staff made sure they turned the lights down and come out singing to her which we really appreciated. Would certainly go back again.

Visited September 2013