“Take your own picnic!!”

Brockholes Nature Reserve
Ranked #5 of 64 things to do in Preston
More attraction details
Owner description: Brockholes is a new kind of nature reserve, an unreserved reserve. Everyone is welcome at Brockholes, whether you're a naturalist or a beginner, we have something for you to enjoy and lots of chances for you to get close to nature! On the site of an old quarry, the Lancashire Wildlife Trust have used their expertise to create habitats for lots of different wildlife. You can take a stroll by the River Ribble, explore our woods or enjoy the lakes on site, which have all been specially designed to attract all kinds of wildlife for you to see! Our spectacular floating Visitor Village means that you are as close to nature as possible providing stunning views across the lake. You can also discover our interactive Welcome Centre and learn all about the wildlife that you could see on-site, discover the exciting play area and explore our network of walks and trails (including shorter ones for little legs). After exploring the reserve you can sit back and relax in our restaurant where you can enjoy the beautiful lake view with a coffee and a tasty treat or a long leisurely meal. The Nest, our Brockholes gift shop is brimming with an inspiring collection of gifts, jewellery, books, toys, arts & crafts and other exciting treasures to remind you of your day and are sure to put a smile on the faces of people young and old. A fantastic new addition to the Visitor Village is The Gallery at Brockholes. The Gallery will showcase a range of art and craft by guild members which includes fine art, photography, textiles, ceramics, glass, jewellery, wood and furniture. The Gallery at Brockholes is run by the Art & Craft Guild of Lancashire, made up of a wide range of the finest local artists, designers and makers.
Bury, United Kingdom
“Take your own picnic!!”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We visited Brockholes at the end of April 2014 and loved the river and birdlife; the first sunny/warm day of the year

I visited the restaurant with my 3 nieces (6, 8 and 11 years old). It was very busy and the restaurant was ill-equipped to deal with the surge of custom.

Cake was on display without covers and small flies were buzzing around.

There were so many people in such a small space, it was difficult to access the food.

The tables and floor were dirty and the tables had not been cleared or cleaned.

The items for the "children's boxes" were in a fridge with other items and so the items that the children had chosen were not part of the "children's box" deal. The rules for the deal were displayed but there were so many people gathered in the area that one could not see the rules to abide by them.

When I got to the checkout, the food totalled £31.00 which shocked me. In my mind, I had 3 children's boxes, a pot of tea and a piece of cake; however, the shop assistant explained to me that some of the items that the children had chosen were not part of the box deal.

I asked for a feedback card - the card was too small to write down all of the issues. There is no address or contact number on the card to post it later. I believe that the restaurant is a private business which is not connected to Brockholes, but I cannot remember it's name.

My advice? TAKE A PICNIC!!!

Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Floating day out”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My Family visited Brockholes last Bank Holiday Monday for some fresh air, we have been numerous times before so we knew what to expect, we even took a Picnic as it was such a pleasant day.
The buildings are floating on a pontoon structure which rises with the rainfall, the building of the reserve is described in one of the information buildings, we had an amble around the 2 gift/craft shops and had a drink in the cafe which is very well laid out and quite reasonable.
All the proceeds from the cafe, shops and parking (£2.70 for 3hrs. I think it was) go back to the reserve and it shows, they have expanded the play area with a new jungle Gym area which supplement the already well equipped play facilities, including the death slide which is my personal favourite.
The reserve is quite large and you can walk all around the area, there are volunteers on hand to help you if you get lost or need some help with your bird spotting.
The website is very informative and I have joined the facebook page which tells me in advance what activities they are holding.
Overall Brockholes is a great place to visit for the day, even in the wet.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Richard H
NW Lancashire
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 228 helpful votes
“Good outdoor experience”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Visited with Grandson aged 8, plenty of children's activities to keep him amused in a safe environment. Could work out expensive if there for a long period - Check the parking fee's.

8 Thank Aquamar
Rossendale, Lancashire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Visited here on Sunday afternoon with my son, not been for nearly 2 years and was amazed at how much the place has come on, fantastic park which my son loved as well as exploring the woodland dens, gorgeous walk through the bluebell scattered woods, followed by a delicious ice cream overlooking the lake. Lovely, friendly and helpful staff. Didn't mind paying £4.10 for car parking for 3 hours as we'd had so much fun. My only whinge would have to be the loos...they looked like they needed a good scrub!. Will definitely be returning soon.

3 Thank Victoria1982
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“nature watch”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic day out, with my partner and his 11 year old son, the adventure play area proved to be great for running off some steam !! Ate at one of the many picnic tables and had a walk down by the river, we had booked a place for one of the walks looking at nesting sand martins - absolutely marvellous, educational games, and a guided walk to the river bank to see the sand martins we will definitely go again

4 Thank angej_den