“Birthday”

Ribble Pilot
Ranked #348 of 535 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having booked a table we were seated in a lovely airy part of the pub. The polite waitress took our drinks order and they were quickly delivered, service with a smile at all times. We were given time to browse the menu and our food orders were taken. The food started to arrive and 6 of the 7 meals had to be returned as they were lukewarm, the 7th meal was a salad. Immediately we were offered profuse apologies, free drinks and a % discount off the final bill. The new meals arrived and these were piping hot. The staff made several visits to ensure that everything was alright

• Visited August 2014

Preston, England, United Kingdom
“fantastic meal in a lovely atmosphere.”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Went for a meal with friends asked if they could accommodate us there were 15 of us including children nothing was to much trouble tables were put together instantly. The meals were good and no one had any complaints.

1 Thank Ellen A
Preston, United Kingdom
“So disappointing”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Myself and a few friends wanted to go out for dinner and as the two for one menu appealed to us, we chose to eat here. First of all we walked in without being greeted by anybody, then myself and a friend went to the toilets and they absolutely stank, there was urine and tissue paper everywhere as well as stains on the walls, toilet and doors. When we arrived back at the table the waitress had already been so we waited for her to come again, it took 15 minutes for someone to notice we were waitress-less, the grumpy sod took our food and drinks orders, which consisted of 2 tap waters and a fresh orange, we also asked for a couple menu changes. The food arrived particularly quick considering however the drinks came after we had started eating and my drink was warm and watered down as the ice had melted. Curry was greasy, vegetables where overcooked and the poppadoms where soggy. After finishing our meals we waited for about 30 minutes for someone to come so we could get the bill, no one came so we walked up to the bar only to find three of the staff sat down eating a dessert! As well as two other customers stood there waiting for their bill, I do give credit to the young man behind the counter who said sorry for the wait as he couldn't see to us as he was inundated with drinks orders, I have been before now and the service was so much better it's unreal, need to train your staff adequately and teach them how to cater for their customers appropriately - waste of time and waste of money

1 Thank SarahxRebecca
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

After having been to the Ribble Pilot before and being impressed by the food this time wasn't the same!
We arrived at the pub at half 7 where one of the rude waitresses took our drink and food order. The starters arrived and were ok. We then sat waiting for over an hour for our main courses to arrive, none of the waitresses came over to apologise or to let us know we would of been waiting or offer us another drink while waiting. My friend had to then go and ask what was going out with the food, to be told it would be another 5-10 minutes (in other words they forgot). The table next to us had arrived later than us and had already eaten. When the food finally arrived one of them was sent back due to missing items. Still no apology for the wait.
My friend then ordered a pudding (big mistake), to which it came out burnt and rock hard on the bottom.
Won't be revisiting.

1 Thank Chels4
Guy B, General Manager at Ribble Pilot, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hi, Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your recent visit not being up to standard. Can you please send me an email with your contact details to... ribblepilot.preston@marstons.co.uk as I would like to contact you to discuss the matter personally. Apologies again. Thanks Guy.
Preston, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having visited this restaurant several times in the past, we were looking forward to spending an evening there again. Unfortunately on this occasion we encountered many problems and poor excuses. My husband ordered the gammon and my son the steak and gammon off the specials board. My husband's gammon was a very strange grey colour and had lots of black bits on it. The pineapple rings also were a strange colour and from the smell they had obviously been cooked on a griddle with many other items and stale fat. My son's gammon had the same problem and the steak that had been ordered as medium rare was very overdone and limp!!! It also had the strange stale fat smell. The waitress, who was very helpful, offered to have the meals re cooked, which we agreed to. The manageress came over and asked what the problem was. Her reply to the stale fat was that "the griddle is deep cleaned three times a day"!!!! She also gave several other excuses which were as limp as my son's steak!!.The meals that were returned were totally different to the originals , in that, they looked and tasted fresh and clean. Why could this of not been done in the first place?
We ordered ice creams for dessert which were served in dishes that had come straight out of the dishwasher and were hot so the ice creams were puddles!! It appears that they cannot even get ice cream right.
The whole evening was a disaster and as it was a birthday treat it will certainly be a birthday I will not forget.
When paying the bill the manageress was very insistent that this was not the norm, but I find this hard to believe.

Guy B, General Manager at Ribble Pilot, responded to this review, 15 July 2014