“Could be very good - not bad for right price”

Holiday Inn Preston
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Isle of Man
“Could be very good - not bad for right price”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Bit of a mixed bag of a hotel - I have stayed here in a number of guises, from Crest Hotel in 80s to the holiday inn it is now.

Now it's furnished well, rooms are not huge but fairly well designed, and comfortable, air con now installed (albeit with a odd habit of turning itself off during stay), great housekeeping - v clean, and delivered extra towels, iron etc in minutes.

Check in took a while, queue, but receptionist apologised, but mix up with booking - had booked double for 2 with breakfast, hotel insisted this was double for 1 without breakfast, they tried to increase cost to £75 to meet what we had booked - fortunately I had the printed confirmation from their website so they honoured. There are good deals here - through their site £44 b&b. Pricing seems an issue here - I overheard a couple being charged £25 for breakfast for 2 - they were muttering later when they saw advert in lift for breakfast for £10 per room - they were well fleeced....

Breakfast I experienced was initially poor but improved after a while - a room full of bus trip guests had cleared the room out - no bread, butter, very limited hot food - but within 30 mins restocked and fine. The Philippino (?) lady at breakfast worked like a Trojan, serving, stocking and being spot on with customers, the other 3 staff did less between them than her alone - hence service hit and miss.

In summary - hotel is dated from outside, rooms fine though and for the right price a decent option for preston. I have been staying so the premier inn for the last year - the £25/£29 deals too good to miss, but for £15 more worth staying in the Holiday Inn.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Preston, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am pleased that you continue to think of us when you visit Preston and I agree that there have been lots of changes since the Crest days

I was pleased to hear that the rooms where very clean and the housekeeping team provided a good service. I will pass this onto Marie and her team.

I am unsure what happened with your booking on check in but can confirm that the best rates are guaranteed through our own site and you can choose from bed and breakfast or room only. We do have an offer for upgrading to the breakfast package on arrival as advertised in the lifts, this is to encourage guests to book and add it to their package the night before rather than coming down in the morning hence the confusion on pricing. I have taken on board the feedback though and maybe this should be clearer so all guests can take advantage of this fantastic offer.

I know we do struggle sometimes when we have large groups in but we are working to rectify staffing levels and training to ensure all the team pull together at peak times

I hope the concerns you raised will not stop you staying with us in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and myself stayed here on Friday night the 25th July 2014 as part of a Shearings Coach Holiday on our return from Scotland, and found it to be a very nice good quality Hotel. Our room was comfortable and clean, and we had a meal in the Restaurant in the evening and also breakfast which was a Buffet style meal. The food was good and found it to be very tasty and nutritious.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was our first stop on the holiday at the Holiday Inn Preston, it was nice inside and the staff were friendly, The a la carte menu did look very nice and the rooms were very nice too. The hotel was nice inside and the rooms were clean and well presented. The bar and restaurant seemed to be classy and updated.

Room Tip: A nice hotel, quite classy inside.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Preston, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Joanne094,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and appreciate your compliments regarding our friendly staff, nice and clean rooms. and our bar and restaurant classy. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Colne
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here before always find staff very friendly,rooms very clean. It as been quiet both time we have stayed.Never tried bar or restaurant have walked in to Preston town centre only a short walk away with plenty of pubs and eating places.

Room Tip: I ask for a high floor we have been on front of hotel but you can hear police/ambulance sirens with...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We hadn't stayed here before and on checking in I found the staff to be rude and dismissive. The room wasn't ready and therefore we went to the bar to eat and found one member of staff to be helpful and friendly - the other rude almost to the point of being aggressive. The food we order - garlic bread took over 30 mins to arrive and we were the only ones in the bar when we ordered!

We eventually checked in and I advised I wanted to complain but I hadn't time to do it there and then, as I had to go out. The staff member arranged for me to see the manager on my return.

When I returned the very small car park was full and parking was available off site but that was too far for my husband walk, as he is disabled. Eventually I saw the manager and he organised a parking space for us, he was very helpful. I made my complaints and he sorted them out to my satisfaction.

Despite my problems the stay was OK in the end, we ordered food from room service, which arrived within about 20 mins and was delivered by a friendly staff member. The food was delicious. The best two staff members were on duty at breakfast also and they were excellent with their customer service skills Amy and Tess.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Easy to find hotel on preston ring road, got a deal with their 4 nights for price of 3 summer offer.

Well equipped rooms, comfy bed and good shower.
Staff were always willing to help and pleasant.

I was there for a 4 day course also held at the hotel and the facilities were also great. Lunch in the restaurant with Leanne was an easy and comfortable affair, and every day she looked after us well and with a smile.

Gym on 7th floor is small but in good condition.

Loses a star due to small car park (35 odd spaces), shockingly slow free wifi (you can pay to speed it up) and expensive bar prices- £4.60 for a pint of San Miguel (town is near for a cheaper drink)

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Staff are extremely friendly in this hotel. The rooms are comfortable although could be improved by having an easy chair. Bathroom is of decent proportions. Breakfast was self serve after being seated and is more English breakfast orientated. Other reviewers have stated that the car park is small but the hotel can sell 24 hour multistorey car park tickets for £4.

Wifi is available for free but is not suitable for streaming but for low bandwidth like email is fine. Room had aircon which is always a plus.

Room Tip: away from the ringway.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business