“Love this place”

Hand & Dagger
Ranked #6 of 545 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Hand & Dagger is a traditional country pub, dog friendly, with an open fire and Beer Garden, enjoying a pretty rural location by the Lancaster Canal at Treales, nr. Kirkham. Serves a range of excellent home-made dishes mixing traditional pub fayre with modern dishes and the best Sunday Lunch in the area. Also bar nibbles and daily specials and all dishes are available in half portions for children. Food allergies catered for on request. Table reservations recommended. Outside catering service offered and available for private functions. Campsite open Friday to Sunday, 5 Pitches available at £5 per night, subject to availability. All pitches must be booked in advance.
“Love this place”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Have been countless times and always the same high quality.Martin and all the staff are very welcoming, nothing is too much trouble. Can't speak highly enough of this pub and I am a fussy bugger.

1 Thank Shirleygreen

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Good food rude landlord”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

After visting the pub last week for a drink after a long walk down the canal I decided to suggest to my family we go for the long walk there and spend a few hours at the hand and dagger. Quite frankly the pubs landlord ruined our family day out, he was extremly rude to my mother and he shouted at her across the beer garden rather than coming over and having a quiet word,all because our dog wasent on its lead in the back beer garden which in all fairness there were no signs saying they had to be and another dog a few minutes prior wasent on its lead and we do have a very behaved dog.we apologised and put her back on while the landlord stook and stared while muttering "don't think your dogs shitting on my grass and your not picking it up" even the waitress told him to shut up as he was being rude , whether he was having a bad day I'm not sure but there really was no need. Also I felt he had judged us to be people who don't clean up after our dog!also the previous week I had gone I took my dog and he stroked her and was saying how good she is, my mother then went into the bar to get drinks (which I told her not to after the way we were spoken to too)to order some drinks however the landlord ignored her for sometime at the bar so we decided to leave. We order several meals and drinks and would have spent a small fortune in there if he hadent have been rude. It also ruined our plan of staying for a few hours before making the long journey back home. I will not be returning and it highly embarrased me that I had suggested my family go for the day out there as it really upset them and put a bad atmosphere on our afternoon.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank sammi w
Preston
“Massive improvement since our last vist, and now dog friendly too.”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Our last visit was somewhat a disappointment, and we have not been back for quite a while. It was a shame as it is right next to the Lancaster canal, in lovely countryside. However we heard it was under a new licensee, so we went back there for lunch on a really nice sunny afternoon. As I went inside for menus the lady behind the bar, gave me a warm greeting, and informed me the dogs are welcome in the back room, as a dog owner, that was a very good first impression. As the day was so nice, we took a table outside. The difference from our last visit was vast. It is obviously 'work in progress', but the beer garden has been extended, and now abuts a lawned area. There is a large clean hen run with very well looked after girls, obviously supplying eggs for the kitchen. There is also a cleared path down to the canal. The menu for me as a meat eater offered a good choice, and there is a special board too. However, although my wife will eat fish, she is otherwise a vegetarian. The menu only offered one vegetarian main dish, so she ordered the scampi which she enjoyed, and I had the Gammon. Both meals were served within a short time from being ordered, they were perfectly cooked, and very well presented. The salad trimmings, were drizzled with what I presume was a home made dressing, which was delicious. The chips were rustic and tasty, and the gammon which cost less than £9.00 was huge, and served with both an egg and pineapple. The beer was also very well kept and delicious. Inside the pub, for a Friday afternoon at 12.30pm in our area was busy. The interior is "Olde Worldly" and clean. All in all a very nice place to be, with good food and drink, with very pleasant and efficient staff. We will be back with our dogs for a nice walk after a lovely lunch this summer.

2 Thank Stef C
“A Venue for all occasions”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Whether a drink at a lively Bar, a cozy Lunch or Dinner for 2, a divine Sunday Lunch, a Birthday or bigger Party, you cannot fail here. I have used the Dagger for 3 years now since Martin and his team transformed it and am delighted to recommend it. The recent improvements to the rear gardens further show Mr Evans commitment to this historic and important rural idyll!!!! See you there!!!!

3 Thank SalwickGreg
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“Traditional pub with amazing food”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Nothing but praise for the Hand and Dagger! Welcoming traditonal pub with friendly and helpful staff and absolutely fabulous home made food. They do a great Sunday Roast and also had a most enjoyable Christmas Day there last year. Great selection of wine and beers too. Highly recommended!

2 Thank jmh61