“The worst meal ever...”

Ranked #411 of 545 Restaurants in Preston
Cuisines: British
“The worst meal ever...”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My local pub has finally hit rock bottom, awful customer service, wrong orders and dreadful, dreadful food. The Withys should be better than this but when served trashy food, with no thought about quality, presentation or taste, then this pub deserves the bad review it's getting. The barmaid was the grumpiest person I've ever met and the ambiance was non existent. The only plus mark was that the beer was good. 2nd visit in 10 days and certainly the last in a very, very long time.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Benandalice

Preston, United Kingdom
“Was this even a real experience?”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We have been a couple of times before for drinks where me and friends have enjoyed the beer garden, however this visit (which will certainly be the last) was disappointing and foul. 9 friends went for lunch and drinks on a Sunday to be greeted by a rather pleasant barmaid who took our orders. We then waited for over 1 hour for our food which was no better than from a greasy spoon (more to follow on the matter). When one meal came the 'nachos' were Doritos with cheese that arrived cold, and half hour before the other meals. When we asked about the food we were treated to what I can only describe as arrogance with a side dish of sarcasm. The female waiter was stuck up and had little care for clientele that had already paid over £100 and were intending to stay for a considerable time; this staggered me. Further requests of when the food will come were greeted with a shrug, laugh and flippant response. Food finally arrived all day breakfasts which was fairly reasonable; butter and toast come hand in hand, but this establishment a request must be put in. It is a problem they need to nip in the bud before it starts spreading. The curry a lady friend had ordered arrived another 20 minutes after. When a serious complaint was again made to the waiter a stern response was made, the male then centered his aggressive responses to the 4 ladies with us, who felt bullied and targeted. A male friend confronted the waiter who replied in his now notorious swagger. He then began to question why we were there (students on a last day together), as if we were making it up. Asking what uni and my course with a grin on his face as if he thought I was going to slip up. The "detective" then informed us that 'I went to uni too so why are you here on the 21st July'. One would of thought such an inquisitive character would of picked up on the different accents of 9 people, I guess we can cross off Criminology on the degree he achieved. After the graduate had told us of his accomplishment at going to a university he was told to leave us alone, we were hungry! The audacious sleuth wasn't seen again, maybe to nurse his hangover inside. When the young lady friend who had waited a grand total of 1 hour 20 minutes for her curry and chips, which were not complained about because no one came to ask how the meals were. Meals finished, the lady friend who had ordered the curry which came 'all the way from India' as our unapologetic servant put it went to the bar to get another drink. She was then told that she was barred and couldn't have any thing else. Upset she came back to the table; which is set in a nice garden, but looks can be deceiving. We left, the bitter taste from the Timothy Taylor's (decent) not near as strong as that of disrespect. A manager or someone with a bit of authority should have sorted this situation out straight away, under trained waiter and waitress were an embarrassment to what was thought a nice premises. Alas our last day together was spent thinking of where we could of gone, if's and but's instead of a tasty meal and laughs. I wouldn't advise this place to anyone but if you feel it is a must Sunday lunchtime is a big no!

• Visited July 2013
9 Thank Taylor G
Preston, United Kingdom
“value for money”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I was surprised that there were not many other people dining whilst we were there, as the food was very tasty, prices reasonble, menu quite selective and generous portions. The bar man was friendly and welcoming, which added to the character of the place. We will definitely be returning again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank danoll
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Brill tasty pub grub”
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Big pub which has a pub and dining side. Good menu and freshly cooked food oh so tasty. The baguettes are amazing - not exotic though binking tasty and filling. TVs outside on the decking for sports fans. Excellent place to drop into for above average pub food

Visited June 2012
1 Thank pnrsmith
Hereford
“Am I being harsh or should I had the burger?”
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this in the Pub I'm reviewing. The food is awful and I had to let others know.

So, they cook all day. It was convenient for me to get to and the menu as described over the phone sounded like most pubs grub.

First impressions were good. Clean bar and restaurant and plenty of places to sit.

I'm away on business so for the lone traveller it was non threatening and I could tuck myself away without feeling too obvious.

I ordered Steak and Ale Pie. It seems that the definition of Pie has changed somewhat over the years and that a pie now consists of a bowl of stew with a cheap puff pastry top, that is in fact too small for the (in my case) lasagne dish it's sat upon.

The "pie" or as I will call it, stew was over cooked, the steak tough and swimming in gravy but I could taste the ale. The puff pastry topping was over done also.

It was served with a cross between potato wedges and chips. Potato wedge shaped, but very over cooked, dark and greasy and that taste of burnt oil.

Accompanied by carrots and green beans and something else which I can't even begin to consider what it might be. The veg had been boiled to within an inch if their lives. Very tasteless.

I could have had a burger I suppose but at £8 I'm glad I didn't. My meal was £6.95 plus £3 for a bottle of Becks.

Such a shame as the place looks like it could have loads of potential. A decent chef would be a start.

On the plus side, friendly staff.

4 Thank merlinsquest