“perfume bottles”

Harris Museum and Art Gallery
Ranked #6 of 66 things to do in Preston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A great day out for all the family, the Harris Museum Art Gallery & Library is a treasure trove of fantastic art and fascinating objects for all the family. Come and explore our remarkable collections of fine art, contemporary art, fashion, textiles, ceramics, glass and history, all housed in a stunning Grade I listed building in the heart of Preston ... and we're completely free to visit! We're open seven days a week throughout the year (closed Bank Holidays). Relax in our cafe in one of the most stunning surroundings in Preston and buy an unique gift or memento of your visit from our shop. There is also a Makerspace for visitors to book onto our shared art, craft and technology workshops. There is free wifi, disabled access and baby-changing facilities.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Manchester, United Kingdom
“perfume bottles”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My son is a ceramic artist...we visited with his toddler and my other son.....so much to see I've visited a few times my favourite area is where the old perfume bottles are.....

Visited February 2014

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Preston, England, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great mix of exhibitions”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Firstly, the staff are wonderful! With lots of questions about some of the exhibits I found that if the answer wasn't immediately available, it soon was. A very enjoyable afternoon out.

Visited March 2014
OLDHAM
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Jewel of Preston”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We visited primarily to view the art displayed in the gallery, which was very wide- ranging and good quality.
We also visited the cafe which was imaginatively placed centrally, at the base of the fantastic interior of the building, which is impressive.
We enjoyed the visit and the location / interior but there were disappointments - opening / closing times are curious. (probably due to council cuts?). For example the day we were there the shop closed at 3.30, the cafe 4.00 & the gallery 5.00.
It is def worth a visit if you enjoy art and i would visit again. There is no charge for entrance.

Visited April 2014
Southport, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Decent attraction overall”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Visited the Art Gallery some time back along with my girlfriend. It's one impressive building both from the outside and inside as well. The museum bits were really great, and the ceramics section plus the art pictures are decent too. Some parts such as the textile room and the amateur art pieces we weren't too keen on though. Still, worth visiting in my opinion.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Gabor M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A wonderful asset for Preston”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

As a Prestonian in exile I always like to have look around the Harris Museum and Art Gallery when I return home. It is gem of civic pride, with an extensive and varied collection of art and sculpture. There's a pleasant little cafe on the ground floor, internet access points, an excellent library, more local history than you can shake a stick at AND all housed within a truly magnificent piece of neo-classical architecture!

It is however underused which is a crying shame. I wonder if the people of Preston know how lucky they are to have such a wonderful asset on their doorstep, and for free! Perhaps the hours of opening could be a little longer, but this largely relates to footfall. Use it or lose it!!!

Visited January 2014