“Great value”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great value”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here for two nights whilst visiting an old friend. I chose it because of it's proximity to Preston town centre and free parking was available as well as a low price for the room. The staff were good and the food was reasonable (I've had some bad experience in budget hotels before) but most of all the room was clean and tidy and in good repair with a comfy fresh bed. I reckon for the price and location this is very good...tough to beat.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Daniel T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sandwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

very useful location, when trawling across England, about 10 mins from M6, one of the better travel lodges I have stayed in, nice little bar with good simple food, bit pricey but to be expected, did venture into preston for 10 mins but soon returned to the safety of the lodge, staff very helpful and friendly, no complaints and for £25.00 who could!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank H-callahan
Cyprus
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Very comfortable bed, warm and clean room, great shower, no noise from outside, friendly and helpful reception staff. Watch out in the parking area for all the posts - tests your parking skills !!!!!!

1 Thank cruellapaphos
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hotel is about 20 min walk from town centre. Car park needs care due to the numerous pillars, and fills up quite early. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Room was usual Travelodge standard but a bit small for a family room. Very clean and user friendly but basic. Good hassle-free stay for £24!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

1 Thank Karl H
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed in the Preston Central Travelodge on a Monday night. To be honest, we should have known what to expect when we parked the car - the car park was littered with empty beer bottles and pint glasses. Ken on reception was lovely, and was very keen to tell us about the bar which was open to 5am for residents. Rather more worrying was the fact that the bar, at almost midnight, was populated by what looked to me like a gang of fourteen-year-olds, who were all drinking. The room itself was basic but clean and comfortable - no complaints there. However, I was woken up in the middle of the night by shouting, screaming, banging on doors, and someone banging on MY door. This was frankly terrifying. It shortly became clear that a party was going on in the room or rooms next door to me, and that whoever was hosting the party had invited some prostitutes. I know this because a lot of the noise involved crude negotiations for a price for various activities. A short while later, I heard someone banging on the neighbouring door, shouting "You can't do this in the place where I work!" After a rather fraught and fitful sleep, full of interruptions, I awoke to the frankly unpleasant and overwhelming aroma of disinfectant. I thought it unusual that I could smell it in my room, so I opened my door, and was practically hit in the face with the smell of it. Clearly the entire hallway had had to be disinfected or bleached, presumably a result of the party next door. This was not routine housekeeping. Obviously, we complained to the manager on duty. We were told that the police had had to come in twice to eject people, and from the sounds of it, this is not an unusual occurrence. We were promised a refund by way of a voucher for another stay - which has yet to materialise. We have written to Travelodge to advise them of the many issues with this hotel - a response has yet to materialise. I've stayed in many Travelodges in my time, and have always found them to be a great budget hotel for a short-term stay, but I'm seriously rethinking my opinion. I am extremely disappointed that Travelodge is taking absolutely no responsiblity for one of its hotels, and is refusing to take my complaint seriously. What kind of a hotel has a bar open until 5am? I'm from Glasgow, and even I was pretty shocked by that! Presumably this is to entice people to come along, check in and continue drinking until the small hours. I'm guessing that's what happened on the night I stayed. What kind of a hotel openly serves underagers? What kind of a hotel regularly has the police in to get rid of guests? What kind of a hotel allows guests to bring prostitutes? What kind of a hotel allows their guests to get so drunk that they frighten the other guests? And what kind of hotel refuses to take customer complaints seriously? The answer to all these questions is - the Preston Central Travelodge. I have never stayed in a place like the Preston Central Travelodge. And that is not a compliment.

2 Thank MonkeyGirl75
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Preston Central, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
We do expect our car parks to be clean and tidy so it is regrettable to learn you found empty beer bottles in the car park MonkeyGirl75. We are truly sorry to learn that you were disturbed by other guests at the hotel, we do ask our customers to respect their noise levels and to be courteous to other guests, we do try to keep larger groups together and our hotel night staff are expected to do regular walks around the hotel corridors to ensure that they are aware of any disturbances. The security and safety of our guests is of utmost importance to us so it is regrettable to learn you felt unsafe, we understand on this occasion that the police were called to evict the guests who were causing problems. Travelodge do not allow prostitution to take place in our hotels so please be assured that this matter will be fully investigated. We are sorry for the delay in response from our Customer Care team, we understand you have now received a response from them. Thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Preston hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

A little way out of the centre, so taxi required to get there. A Nice and clean, no frills hotel.

The good stuff: The staff are probably the friendliest staff I have ever encountered at any hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. Had a pizza for supper, which was really good. The room was basic but functional. We were given a complimentary breakfast, I have to admit I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by the choice. I will definitely include this next time I stay. Denise is a star!!

The bad stuff: we had booked a twin room, we arrived to find one double bed. I like my friend but didn't want to share a bed. We asked at reception, who advised we were in a family room and the spare beds were stored under the double, okay. Went back to the room pulled out the bed, it was stained with urine, not nice, there was no additional bedding. Back to reception, The night manager was fantastic, she came and took the stained bed away, showed us our second spare bed, which was clean, provided us with the bedding, extra pillows, towels and a complimentary breakfast.

Overall a really pleasant stay and would definitely recommend it.

The chief executives of Travelodge really need to acknowledge the hard work the staff at Preston put into making this hotel a friendly place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ANNEFLO
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Be warned - the Preston Central Travelodge seems to exist purely to feed young drinkers alcohol until they completely lose control and run amok around the hotel.
It has a bar which is open until 5am every morning and on the night we stayed (a Monday - goodness knows what weekends are like) there were already a fair few VERY young males knocking back beer in the small cafe-bar area (connected to reception) at around 11.30pm.
What followed was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. By about 12.30am the noise had started as more and more young people congregated in the hotel - shouting, swearing and screaming as they ran around the corridors beating on doors. I understand from the receptionist that the police were called twice and arrested at least two groups. Sadly they did not eject the charming pair of locals in the room next to us who brought two young Eastern European prostitutes back with them and proceeded to shout explicit instructions at them.
From what we heard from inside the room (we were too scared to venture out into the corridor) at least some of the revellers were friends of people working in the hotel - who'd presumably sorted them out with cheap rooms so they could drink all night. "You can't do this where I work", was one such hissed comment.
The next morning the woman at reception explained that there had "been a party" in a nearby club and apologised for the commotion. Her demeanour suggested this was a fairly regular occurrence. She said that we would get a full refund by way of an emailed e-voucher. Over a week later this has not arrived - meaning the staff at this Travelodge are not only indulging in borderline criminal behaviour but are also liars.
I've stayed in many Travelodges before and have always found them to be fairly decent for the price. This experience will certainly make me think twice before using one again. As for Preston, I think I'll steer clear completely in future.
I should say that I completed an emailed questionnaire sent to my by Travelodge which asked if I would like somebody to contact me about my complaint within "two working days". I said I would be happy for somebody to get in touch but nobody has since bothered. Ludicrously bad customer service.
I'm still awaiting a genuine apology or the promised refund but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe they'll respond to this as they seem to keep a close eye on Tripadvisor, if not their own customer surveys. Over to you Travelodge...

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel or sleep in your car.