“Nice, Cheap & Friendly”

Whitburn House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I needed somewhere close to dog show the following day. This hotel was perfect. The person who greeted me was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and perfectly adequate for me and my dog. Was away too early for breakfast in morning. I would definitely go back there next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sharon L

Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

Working locally, I wanted to stay somewhere from where I could walk to work each day. The Whitburn fitted the bill perfectly but, not having been to Preston before did not know the area so wasn't sure what I was getting.

Firstly, it's cheap and the old adage, you get what you pay for is certainly true. That said, even in a budget hotel I would expect soap in the bathroom. There was none, and looking at other reviews it would seem this was a conscious decision. When I asked for some I was told that only 2 shower sachets were provided as it was a commercial hotel. Basic hygiene would suggest that soap in a bathroom was an absolute must. The next day, a bar of soap did appear in my room though :) .

Speaking of showers. I had one. If it was the middle of summer, the temperature would have been about right, but in the depths of winter, not so good. No pressure and very cold.

The bed was ok. Mattress a bit soft and I needed 3 pillows as they were such poor quality I felt like there wasn't any.

The room was warm though.

So, breakfast. Full English is on offer. I'm not a big breakfast eater and happy with cereal and toast. I do however love my coffee. Not this time though. Coffee was rough, more truck stop than hotel. The cooked breakfasts did look substantial though and it appeared that the other guests really liked them.

The staff were friendly and helpful though. And it seemed like a real team spirit amongst them all. It's a shame that their enthusiasm isn't matched but some better touches in the rooms.

This place has such potential and a few extra pounds spent here and there would make it a great place to stay. Unfortunately, it lacked that little bit extra, those few touches that make staying away from home a bit more bearable.

Good wifi access and friendly staff but next time I'm in Preston I think I will look for something else and pay a bit more, or take my own soap!!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank merlinsquest
Reviewed 24 January 2013

at first feels a little bit like fawlty towers. private run place. stayed a couple of times now as have family in the area.
first stay was in a single room. very very cheap. but if I am honest, I got what i paid for. it was like a box room with a little sink, tiny TV and single bed. wafer thin walls and creaky floorboards resulted in bad nights sleep. also on top floor so cant open window and toilet/bathroom on floor below... but hey.. it was cheap. next two times I stayed i stayed in double rooms with ensuites.. A lot better. cheaper then the normal chain hotels, though not much cheaper. but rooms big and roomy, perhaps need a little bit more TLC but actually good. noone in hotel overnight that works there, you have to ring a number. but thats fine.. both nights were good stays and I will be staying there in the future.. good breakfast as well cooked to order...if you want a five star. go and stay in one. if you want an adequate hotel, at an adequte price then this is ok. actually prefer it to a travellodge or premier, maybe not as modern, but just better.. if that makes sense... dont expect the world, but its okl

Room Tip: dont go for a single, even if you are on your own.. pay a few extra quid for a double with ensuite
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Martin B
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Stayed at the whitburnhouse for a week during the preston guild, Good location friendly staff great breakfast, Hotel Bit tatty round the egdes. Ideal for moorpark thats where the start of the guild tuck place, Good value for money would recommend to other.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank L_Moseley
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Very friendly, helpful and cheerful staff. Excellent breakfast.

Our room needed a good solid clean. mould and cobwebs behind the curtain to the fire exit and caked dirt around the skirting boards. Electric socket appeared overloaded. Bed not made properly and although I left my towel in the shower to be removed for laundry, when I returned it was still there, also the only toiletries in the bathroom were 2 shower sachets!

With a thorough clean and attention to detail this would be a good budget hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: May be a bit noisy from the traffic if the windows are open, but as I can sleep through a UK hurrica...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank sclo3
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We only stayed for one night - THANK GOD!!! When we arrived the young girl on reception checked us in and it took her 10 minutes to decide which room went with which key! It wasn't difficult we booked 1 x double, 1 x twin and 1 x single!!!

The rooms were dirty, the bedding was dirty and the beds - cheap! We actually sat on one double bed and the bottom fell out! Upon closer inspection it looks like it had happened before and been "tacked" back together not screwed with nails! The beds were lumpy and very uncomfortable! The receptionist (also the cook) said it had never happened before, but in all fairness she did change the room!

The shower - was a dribble and our sink had a major crack in it!

There were big chunks missing out of the floor and you could see the paint underneath "magnolia"

The road outside is extremely noisy, if we were staying for more than one night - we'd have moved!

The £65 a night room charge is ridiculous - premier inns don't cost that much and their rooms are spotless!

BREAKFAST - was ok, we asked for a pot of tea and actually finished eating our full english, long before it came! We had to remind the waitress, and we were the only ones in the breakfast room at the time! We could hear the waitress and cook standing around gossiping and giggling in the kitchen for ages, and some poor woman who came down for her breakfast had to wait 20 minutes before anybody even acknowledged her! SHE had to go and ask for service! At 9:35 the cook came into the breakfast room and shouted across the room to the waitress that she was done and breakfast had finished - NICE! They only give you 1 hour for breakfast any day of the week and this is between 8:30 and 9:30 at the weekend!

We had to vacate the room by 11am and we couldn't get out quick enough! Overall i'm extremely disappointed - the only good point to the hotel was that it would accept our 2 dogs and there is a massive park across the road - which they really enjoyed! If you are looking for cheap quality and a good nights sleep and breakfast - this isn't your place! I wouldn't stay here again if it was free!

Room Tip: The only tip I have is - find somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gillymarie1984
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have to give the Whitburn a "poor" overall as the customer service was so bad and still is. I am still waiting for a reply to an email from the owner after 4 weeks concerning a dispute over my payment. It appears he has chosen to ignore me after promising great things.There are many good points about the hotel..nice hallway, breakfast room and pleasant young staff. Though they need some decent training on what is going on in the business whilst the boss is away. I was appalled to find he had left the chef in charge who obviously didn't want to do anything other than cook..which is fair enough. And the young lady who mostly dealt with me was untrained in people skills and the running of the hotel. I had a very good night's sleep despite overlooking the main road but unfortunately had to complain about the dirty cups, no toiletries and worst of all a dirty bathroom.

Room Tip: Do not use room 6 unless you know it has been cleaned properly.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Margaret R
WhitburnHouse H, Manager at Whitburn House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

You kept your word, ''Give me the room for free or i will give you bad feedback''. Welldone!
You arrived at 1pm left the next day and 10:15pm. After butting in on two guest conversion in the dinning room By commenting on the conversion '' You dont like what they are talking about ''
Well its not all about you isit? When you got to reception you just wanted to cause a seen for a free room, And was told to leave. Nice try write what you like because we know its not true dont we, Whats this about whilst the boss is away, I Am the boss i was the one what asked you leave in a nice manner.