“Interesting and immaculately clean museum”

British Commercial Vehicle Museum
Ranked #9 of 70 things to do in Preston
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Helpful, pleasant and patient voluntary staff at the museum. Every vehicle has some history to it.
Immaculately clean place, easy to park. Some of the vehicles are accessible and it is an interesting place to spend a couple of hours. Nephew had a great time (aged 3). He particularly enjoyed being able to sit behind the wheel of an old fire engine, ring its bell and wear a firemans helmet and climb aboard an old Selnet bus.

1  Thank chorley64
"cake"
"all ages"
"great place to visit"

Reviewed 22 February 2014

My children loved this place, and so did their grandad! Would recommend to anyone who has an interest in vehicles!

2  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Fantastic volunteers who are really knowledgeable to say the least. Nice attraction, we spent an hour and half there.

2  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have been planning a visit to the Museum for a very long time, even before it featured on the Television program.

Finding ourselves in the vicinity and having a few hours to kill, what better time to take a visit.

Plenty of room in the car park, it was a Sunday afternoon, I really would have expected the place to be busier.

Was met in the car park by a very friendly member of staff, it was starting out very well, unfortunately, it was not to last.

We paid our money, by card, which is always good to see, we NEVER have any cash on us when we go out, just the odd bits for car parks etc, we were completely cashless at this stage.

The lady on the desk was very helpful, explained where everything was, what we could do and what was out of bounds, no problem there, however, after, it was only after we had gone through the turnstile that she informed us that there was an ‘extra charge’ of £2.00 should we wish to take photo’s.

It is not the money for taking photo’s that is the problem, it was the fact that we were informed AFTER we had paid, we should have been told whilst we were paying, it would not have been difficult to see that we were interested in taking photo’s, my wife had a huge Fujifilm Pro 2 Digital camera round her neck, and I was carrying a large Tamrac camera bag.

I was not willing to go back and pay £2.00 on my debit card, it would not be worth it, I wouldn’t have cared if it was an extra £2.00 or £20.00, it is not the amount that is important.

Honestly, the incident put a downer on the afternoon, we looked around rather than studied the exhibits, we didn’t stay too long.

I hate to put a negative on this place, it is run by volunteers who are doing a wonderful job under very tight financial restraints, I cannot praise the work they do highly enough.

When I got home I checked the website, there is no mention of a charge for photo’s on there either, so really, that is another negative.

A museum of this importance should understand that visitors would want to take photographs; every other museum I have ever visited allows unhindered photography except in certain circumstances.

If they want people to visit, they must allow photography, this is a museum of large commercial vehicles, not some art galley, a little photographic image isn’t likely to damage these machines, they were made to take a battering on the highway.

All in all, we felt let down by lack of information at the point of sale

7  Thank Trevor S
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We turned up here on a Wednesday, looking through the windows. I was lucky enough for a member to come to the front door and asked if we would like to come inside. Luckily a school was going through that morning, and we were invited in for a brew and a look around. We had our own personal tour of the very interesting array of vehicles lovingly restored by the volunteers involved. The exhibits themselves are beautiful and highly polished. Well worth a visit, especially if you are an enthusiast with a penchant for the Leyland brand!

1  Thank AnthAlly