“Very nostalgic”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Very nostalgic”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

A great museum with lots of vehicles from yesteryear but I felt more information on each vehicle was needed, however my Grandson thoroughly enjoyed sitting on some of the vehicles and loved ringing the bell on the old fire engine! A pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank LancashirePolly

manchester
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Fabulous vehicles”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Thought this was one for the boys but I was mistaken. This museum has some fabulous vehicles in pristine condition. The passion of the volunteers there is obvious and a special thanks to them for their information. One of our party was not up to walking around the museum so a wheelchair was offered. She decided to sit outside on a chair they provided. They went out to see how she was, offered her a cup of tea and that she could happily sit in the cafe without need to purchase anything if she wished. Such kindness. Back to the vehicles... Huge fairground tractor engines, buses, transporters, coaches, pope mobile and a coach previously owned by King George V!

Visited July 2014
Lancashire, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

What a surprise! Driven passed here many times any finally decided to call in seeing as it was open. Met with a very friendly welcome. This is a traditional museum housing a wide selection of vehicles from many of the various British vehicle manufacturers including horse-drawn, steam all the way through to the latest technology. I have read some of the other reviews and cannot see why anyone would complain. This is by far the crown jewel of vehicle museums, a national treasure! I certainly recommend visiting! The coffee shop is simple yet adequate, ideal for a quick brew and a cake. There's so much to see here and I was told the building houses possibly the UKs largest archive containing thousands of drawings, photographs, glass negatives, films etc. and all accessible by appointment and via the website. This place certainly does a lot more besides showcasing vehicular exhibits, makes the entry fee all the more worth while :)

Chorley, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Excellent in every way!!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I went on a Friday but wasn't expecting huge crowds due to unseasonably warm weather. I went with my partner who loves anything with a Diesel engine and my father who went to the museum the year it opened.

All the machines are in full working order which is incredible given the age of them and the friendly and helpful staff were on hand to discuss the machines and answer all questions.

There were lots of hands on things but there are certain machines that for preservation purposes are just for looking at. All of this is explained on the handy information sheet that you are given at the start of the tour.

The pope mobile is by far the most amazing vechile in there and the green goddess that they are currently restoring is going to make a fascinating exhibit once finished.

Parking is adequate. There are spaces in front of the museum as well as the pay and display car park. The facilities were clean and satisfactory. The cafe was not open on the day we went due to staffing shortages.

I felt as though the tickets were somewhat over priced at £19.50 for 3 adults and the tour of the whole museum taking an hour. The museum is entirely self funding though which makes it more understandable.

I look forward to going again.

Visited June 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great for Lorry mad Little boys”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our first visit to the museum coincided with the spring transport show so there was plenty of extra cars and lorries to look at in the outside car parking area. If it had been a normal day I may have been disappointed with the size of the museum and the amount of interactive stuff for the kids to do.
I put in my title that it's good for Lorry mad little boys because of the amazingly sexist attitude of one of the volunteers who was happy to show my young son around and let him sit in all of the lorry cabs but kept telling him that " lorries were not for girls" and would not include my friends 2 young girls who were just as interested. I thought he was joking at first until I told him how I used to loved clambering around my uncles lorry and grew up loving cars and all things motorised when he said again that he didn't care if he sounded sexist but girls shouldn't be interested in this type of thing. This put a bit of a damper on the day and I am sure it was quite upsetting for my friend.
My son loved the museum and he is desperate to go again but next time he can go with his dad and. I will give it a wide berth!

Visited May 2014