“Afternoon Tea Delight”

The Dining Room At Mallory
Ranked #69 of 256 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Price range: US$45 - US$174
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Business meetings, View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Lovely atmosphere of a country house. Log fire, comfortable sofas and a delicious afternoon tea. Good selection of teas (constantly refilled), fresh sandwiches and the scones? Oh the scones were sooo delicious! The accompanying cakes looked fairly ordinary but were full of unexpected delights. This is an afternoon tea to relax over and enjoy every morsel. And then, if you are able and can get up, try walking around the grounds!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank John P

Warwick, United Kingdom
“Skilled cooking, excellent service, reccomended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We've visit the brasserie several times, and always been pleased, but this was out first visit to the restaurant.

We opted for the tasting menu with wines selected to pair each course. In my opinion, tasting menus are a great way to experience the breadth of the head chefs skill as essentially it is a shop window for the restaurant. We we're not disappointed.

Seven course followed, portion sizes were just right, and the excellent waiting staff guided us through a leisurely and unhurried evening of top notch dining.

The cooking was extremely good - two things really stood out to me. Firstly, flavours were very subtle - it really paid to try each component on their own, as flavours we're delicate and outstanding. And as part of the overall dish, these flavours came together to create tasty, visually pleasing, well cooked dishes. Secondly, Use of ingredients was also very good, unusual and complex for some dishes, kept simple and letting the quality of the ingredients sing for others.

Highlights for me were the crab dish with inventive use of the main ingredient including a crab custard - fresh, well presented and it allowed the quality of the crab to shine.

The venison dish with chocolate, belly pork, rose hip and chestnuts was also superb. Venison cooked perfectly, the blend of sweetness with the depth of flavour in the meat was outstanding.

I can also reccomend the brill with blow torch charred scallop and braised lettuce - fresh and full of delicate flavours.

I also adored the salted peanut mouse and the yoghurt crust on one of the desserts. (know idea how this was done - it didn't feel frozen, yet was a paper thin crust of yoghurt encapsulating a blackberry parfait - very clever.)

The wines complimented all the courses very well, I particularly liked the black muscat chilled dessert wine - it worked so well with the chocolate fondant.

After such a glowing review, it is only right and proper to offer balance with any constructive feedback. I thought the belly pork was a little dry - I like it slow cooked, juicy and falling part, the wine choices we're excellent quality but perhaps played it safe as fairly obvious choices, and strangely, on a nice big table for two, our seats were placed we're the table legs were. But that's it, everything else was excellent, and when your reduced to moaning about where the table leg is, the restaurant is doing well.

Not cheap, but it's about value, not cost, and I didn't begrudge a penny.

In summary, a talented head chef and team who want to show off their knowledge and quality of the ingredients they have sourced with delicate, clever cooking. This is complemented by a lovely dining room, and very professional service.

Highly reccomended - I will return.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Neil B
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Treat yourself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Went for Sunday lunch as a surprise "thank you" from the daughter and new Hubby.
From the 1st step in where our coats were taken and we were escorted to a window seat to enjoy pre meal drinks (with peanuts and olives) the service was timely, polite and always there when you needed it. 3 staff were present as we sat for goodness sake! Marvellous! The food was faultless and the restaurant full made for a most convivial atmosphere. (The toilets even have bottled drinking water). You would not go there every week but treat yourself once in a while to old fashioned service and 1st class food served with attention and a smile. Mallory Court is a class act.

• Visited November 2013
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Beyond expectation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

What a wonderful surprise this was. Everything was absolutely faultless; service, food, atmosphere. Even the lounge area where we had pre-drinks was perfect with big comfy sofas and a roaring fire. It's a shame the restaurant wasn't a little busier but everything else was impeccable. I would highly recommend this for a celebratory dining experience and will definitely be returning in the future.

• Visited September 2013
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good Food - Strange Atmosphere.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

The food here is very good but I think it's time for a re-vamp! Although the food was delicious this restaurant was missing it's wow factor. The decor is out-dated and the dining room was far too quiet. The atmosphere was non-existant.

If it were only rated on food, I would give Mallory court a 5, but the whole experience left me feeling like something was missing. Maybe that's why they have lost their michelin star this year? The service was OK but I have had better.

I must say though that the dessert I had was possibly the best I have ever had!!

• Visited September 2013