“Disappointment”

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It was my partners birthday last Friday so i wanted to invite him for a nice meal.I've choosen this place as it had some good reviews on Tripadvisor. First when we arrived we've noticed that the place was full and there was just one waiter.
As it was really cold outside we fancied a drink which would warmed us up a bit. We were advised that they didn't get the delivery so there were no spirits in the bar(just a little observation there is a shop just across the road literally 30 seconds walk and also within 5 mins driving distance couple of bigger supermarkets so somehow I didn't get that excuse). So we ordered 2 pints of beer instead. After a while older lady brought us 2 half pint bottles of beer. Her answer for "excuse me, but we've ordered 2 pints" was "OK". We've been given no glasses for this either so I had to pour it into the wine glass which was on the table. Later I have noticed that I was not the only one in the restaurant who had to do that. When the waiter came to take our food order I have asked about the beer and apparently the draught was broken.
The food was average and in my opinion the sheesh kebab was way too spicy and there wasn't enough meat in lamb biryani.
Now to the most annoying part of this experience- bill.I'm pretty sure I've been overcharged! I was not given the breakdown of the bill but I've seen a glance of it when i was paying. So I got charged £12 for 4 half pint bottles of beer which I would not even drink if they had something else in the bar! Also I found a voucher online for buy one get second main meal free. In menu it stated that with biryani dish you get vegetable site curry dish and with tandoori chicken rice and vegetable site curry dish. Now that means we would pay just for one meal and that's about £9. We had 2 starters £3 each and poppadoms + garlic naan for £3.50. All this is totalling just over £30, but the bill was £35. I've noticed the difference straight away when he asked me to pay that much but because it was my boyfriend birthday I didn't wanted to spoilt the evening for him even more, at the end of a day it is just £4.50 but it's annoying!
Well now I know where I won't definitely go for dinner again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Racicka

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“BYOB and brilliant food”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

First time visitors, really liked the cosy atmosphere and the food was fab. We took our own wine, but also could have bought alcohol there (interesting combo, very customer-friendly). The tandoori chicken was gorgeous and could easily have fed us both; brought half of it home for lunch tomorrow, it was too good to send back to the kitchen! Also, the chicken pakora was the best I've ever had. Would definitely recommend :) Paid £30 for starters, mains and sides for two hungry postgrads.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Lunargh
Warwick
“Delhi Palace. Leamington Spa CV31 1LN”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Tonight we revisited the Delhi Palace, a family run restaurant in Leamington Spa to which we had not been since the renovation after the closure due to a flood.
The renovated Dehli is wonderful, looks good and feels even better.
Parmjit , the Master Chef was at his best, along with his wife who makes the best pakora, pickles and chutneys I have ever tasted.
The food was delicious and served by Nav (Parm's son) who knows and shows great pride in what he is bringing to the table is the best food available.
I look forward to our next visit.

1 Thank JoeyWarwick
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Wanted to rate it 2.5 out of 5”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We only went there due to the good reviews on here. Our usual place was fully booked and thought we would take a chance with this.
Well, it wasn't disgusting but it certainly wasn't delicious. Very average, verging on bland indian food. I asked for extra vegetables in my curry which tasted as if they were frozen and very thin on the ground. The portions were disappointing, I had to order extra dishes to make up the portion size. The naans were small and my drink (sparkling water) was flat. Can't understand why it's so popular when there is a lot better out there.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank fussyfussy1
Higham Ferrers, United Kingdom
“Good food, wrong night”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We went here on recommendation but unfortunately they had front of house staff problems leaving the owner on his own to handle 20 covers after 3 staff called in ill.

This meant slow (but friendly) service. Unfair? Perhaps, but you can only review what you experience what you see on the night.

However, the food was very good. I hadn't tried the punjabi style of food before but it was presented well and very well cooked. I'd love to go back when they have full staff on. The chandigar chamkila was wonderful.

Pricing was good and it was clean.

Definitely on my list of places to eat.

3 Thank fatboyuk