“Restaurant visit for our wedding anniversary 04/11/11”
Review of Falstaff Hotel

Falstaff Hotel
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I have just returned home from a lovely evening at The Falstaff, my husband and I were married at the hotel 11 years ago today,so decided to go for a meal in the hotel restaurant. After reading some of the reviews I had wondered if we had made the right choice. A lot of reviews stated how dated the place is and some even worse. Well I am pleased to say I can now comment on my own findings. My husband and I were greeted by a lovely staff member Mr O` Sullivan,he was our waiter and bar man for the evening,what a lovely mannered man he is,He made us feel so welcome and we chatted like I had known him all my life. We had a three course meal from the set menu which included a drink from the bar and coffee and mints for the bargain price of £19.95p. The food was on par with some of the top restaurants I have been to in the past,nice and hot and served at good intervals between courses,though on our visit the restaurant was quite quiet the atmosphere was welcoming and warm. All in all a lovely evening was had by us both. Please try this place your self as I will definitely be visit again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Our Choir travelled to Leamington en masse for a concert, and what we hoped would be a lovely relaxing weekend. The hotel was booked for us and in hindsight how I wish I had looked at the reviews on here before I went........................ because I would have cancelled and found somewhere else. Having stayed in Best Western Hotels before, and found them to be of a good standard I had no qualms, until I pulled into the car park. The outside of the hotel is very shabby and dated, Having said that the foyer is more promising, but the hotel is a veritiable rabbit warren, up 2 steps, down 3, round a corner through numerous fire doors.Although single I thought rather than run the risk of ending up with some pokey attic room overlooking dustbins I would treat myself to a double room, and for (what I considered afterwards ) a rather pricey £90 a night I got a ground floor room with a view of a brick wall, a couple of ladders and some rubbish. See photo. At least dustbins might have looked tidier. The room was clean enough, but dismal, because of the aforesaid brick wall. The TV didn't work, although on reporting this to the young lady in reception she tried her best, and in the end deducted £10 from my bill .........................unfortunately someone had charged me for an evening meal on the day of arrival..................... when I had eaten in town!! But I did spot this before handing over payment. All in all it was a great disappointment, not just to myself but nearly everyone in our party. Those who had eaten in the evening said the meal was very poor, one couple didn't have their room cleaned or bed made up one day. The final straw was being woken up by some rowdie youngsters at 4 in the morning running up and down the stairs.
All in all not a pleasant stay - despite the staff doing their best. The Falstaff looks as if it has seen better days, and is on it's last legs, and without a huge refit I for one can't see it surviving.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank SueBrooking
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We went there recently for a business trip, an found the service pretty poor, despite the staff being pleasant, and the facilities substandard. Food was served nearly 2 hours late for dinner. The way you paid for drinks kept changing from cash, to card (where you and the bar staff have to both walk to reception to do), or charging the room.
The Tv's didn't work in ANY of the rooms delegates were in, and no-one at reception was able to find an iron for us to borrow either.
Breakfast was poor too.
Rooms were not very clean, and there was some mould in the bathroom, along with stains on one bed sheet.
The hotel generally looks and feels run down, and the staff give that feeling too.
In all, i would not recommend, or go there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Vritz
Reviewed 14 September 2011

All the hotels in Warwick were filled due to graduations. We ended up here after booking at the Tourist Information in Warwick.
The Falstaff is in a good location and there are 2 good size car parks. Breakfast buffet was fairly good and the staff (well. do 2 people constitute staff) were eager to please but I really felt sorry for them running from reception to bar to restaurant..wearing many hats at one time.
The rooms were OK...but it was like a rabbit warren getting from reception to the rooms. I was afriad to leave my window open at night because it led to an outside area. People were smoking there also and it was quite annoying. The shower was great, bed comfortable but the TV was really old and got 3 channels.
The hotel itself...come on Best Western...it could be SO SO much better. I felt like I was walking into a bad 1960's movie...red chandeliers? Just a tired and needy facility.
Don't thnk I would go back...sorry.

Room Tip: Ask for a 1st floor room..would feel much safer.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cshaw049
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed here last week and first impression from arriving outside was ' it looks a little run down'. Upon entering the hotel it looked a little more impressive. However, the initial room we were given left a lot to be desired. It looked a little tired, and the television didn't even tune in correctly to the 4 main tv channels. The deputy manager was very helpful, we asked for a heater for the room as it felt a little cold and damp. He quickly supplied one from the office, however it didn't work.
Upon being told, he changed us to a much better room. To be fair the staff were very good and the dining room is impressive however the rest of the hotel needs some investment. I wouldn't personally stay here again, but have stayed in worse.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to complain if your room isn't up to standard (in the right manner)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stay at many Best Western Hotels but I must say that I was not impressed with this hotel and although the staff were friendly and helpul, which in truth they should be, I doubt I will go back.

My stay did not get off to the best of starts when I had to clean the toilet seat in my ensuite of the previous guest's s..t. This should not be down to me but the cleaning staff!The room itself, like the hotel generally, is dated and in need of a good refurb.

I have no complants over the food, as dinner and breakfast were both good.

If you stay here good luck.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Brilliant staff, Hotel walking distance to all attractions and Restaurants etc. Free internet access, Room, Food great in fact can think of nothing bad to say about our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Thank you for your review. Your comments are appreciated and will be circulated around my colleagues here at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.