“needs updating”

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“needs updating”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

stay for 1 night 17th march 2012
the hotel needs some work to update it we stayed in room 53 ground floor explained that my partner was disabled when i booked online but no one had taken any notice so it was a good job i phoned to check so that we had a downstairs room
had to go down a long passageway through 2 heavy fire doors and up 2 steps and then 3 steps no grab rails on wall so very difficult.Had to walk past laundry bags left on floor
bedroom had energy saving bulbs and was gloomy to say the least
bathroom had shower over bath which was well past its sell by date no grab rails to assist getting in or out of the bath and only 1 bath towel had to go back to reception to get another one
Breakfast was met by a young lady who didn't appear to be interested in anything
selection of food was poor cold food was a choice of a yogurt or a piece of fruit no croissants or other breakfast items you would normally get even in a guest house
bacon scambled egg sausages baked beans tomatoes and mushrooms
no offer of an egg cooked in any other way (and if there was then miss i dont care certainly didn't mention it)

Room Tip: room 53 is noisy has what sounds like a central heating boiler next door
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robert p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reading, UK
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Falstaff has seen better days and is crying out for renovation. The decor is tired, the layout is haphazard, the car parks are a squeeze and soundproofing is a serious issue in the main body of the hotel.
I stayed for 2 nights and experienced 2 different rooms (due to a mix up by the hotel). The first room was dark, with an uncomfortable bed, a passable bathroom but virtually every sound from the corridor was discernible and the gap under the door let in so much light I had to resort to a sleeping mask.
Room 2 was a considerable improvement, being located at the rear of the hotel away from the function rooms (which given the noise of the party on the Saturday night was a huge relief - sounds were blaring well after midnight), with a much more comfortable bed, however the wardrobe door was partially-blocked by the TV, and the bathroom was so narrow that one had too sit at an angle when using the toilet.
The breakfast was adequate - buffet style - but no great shakes. Given some excellent recent stays in other franchise-chains' establishments, the sloppiness permitted by the Best Western franchise agreement is surprising, and I had to say it'll be a while before I choose to stay in one again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Will-HE_UK
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
I was very sorry to learn of your experience and dissatisfaction following your recent visit to the Best Western Falstaff Hotel.

I would like to assure you that all guest comments are taken seriously and all feedback, whether positive or otherwise, is constructive and will be used to improve our guests overall experience.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring this to my attention. Your comments have been noted and will assist in our drive to ensure that improvements are made wherever necessary.

Travellers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Midlands
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked with bookings.com

Unfortunately, I have a few moans about this place, some of which were resolved by the hotel, but others which were not dealt with.

1. I had originally booked a double and twin room. I purposely booked a twin room as I know singles can be extremely small. I was frustrated when my room was in fact a single, rather than twin. I complained but was told there were no doubles or twins available in the hotel.

2. My parents and I decided to dine in the hotel’s restaurant. Service was good, but food was poor. - Missing vegetables, Vegetables that were there were soggy, and generally, quality was not to the expectations, considering the price (not cheap!). Nothing tasted freshly prepared. I believe the hotel knocked the price of drinks off the bill so this was dealt with to some extent.

3. My parents double room did not have a remote for the tv. This was not dealt with it by the hotel.

4. We ordered breakfast (and had this added to the room rate on bookings.com) only to be told on arrival at the hotel it would not be served until 8am. We had to leave by 7.45am for an event on the Sunday. We asked for breakfast to be removed from the Bill but this was still charged to us.

5. The main issue was the Saturday evening. From approximately 3am, drunken youngsters (students I assume) started to arrive at the hotel in search of rooms.

By the volume of conversation and vicinity of my room, it appeared a number of people who had arrived had no intention of staying. It was just my luck that the person on the front desk allocated them all (or some) a room (just below me) to go in. Shouting, swearing, screaming, door slamming, singing all entailed to which nobody on shift at the hotel dealt with. Sleep was impossible and I decided to get up at 4am. Dressed and showered, I went downstairs around 5am. Went to investigate the source of the noise and upon entering that part of the hotel, the stench of cigarette smoke filled the hallway. Noise was still on going. I went back to reception to find out what was going on. A (French?) gentleman was on duty to which he explained he had been receiving a number of complaints from unhappy guests. Some ringing several times. I too complained. He claimed he could not deal with them because he was too scared to do so and just hoped they would be quiet eventually. He seemed completely out of his depth and I find it unacceptable that he was left (essentially in charge) to run the hotel through a weekend night. He had no answer to the problem and looked physically stressed that he could not deal with it.

I asked that I wanted to checkout but was not happy about paying. He said there was nobody to complain to on duty. He then authorised my card to which point, it was then too late for any discount anyway. I decided to wait until a more senior member of staff arrived for duty. 7.30am I believe.

I sat in the dining room after being given some coffee when I saw (around 6am) several drunken guests leave the part of the hotel aforementioned to taxis waiting outside. I believe the guy on duty ordered them. One particular (drunk) guy decided to simply wander around the hotel on his mobile, talking and shouting extremely loudly. He also then became quite abusive to the chap on the front desk as his friends had left without him. He was ordered a taxi (at his own request) but then changed his mind when the taxi arrived. He remained drunk in the hotel until around 7am when he finally left.

Complaint is currently ongoing with Best Western.

I feel the hotel should not have allowed these drunken individuals into the hotel, more so, to let a group into one room seems to contravene booking a room for a max of two people anyway. That said, the guy on duty was incapable and completely out of his depth. He could not deal with the problems and in turn, my stay was ruined by this.

I am completely dis-satisfied and find it difficult that a reputable chain hotel can provide a service as poor as the one I experienced. I paid £55.00 for a pleasant and relaxing night’s stay in comfortable surroundings in preparation for a very busy Sunday. None of these expectations were met I’m afraid.

The terrible rating is perhaps kind as I have not even gone into other aspects of the hotel which were just as poor...

i.e. cleanliness of room, non functioning toilet, broken floor boards, 'musty dampness everywhere', short staffed etc...

Urgh!!!!!

Room Tip: I doubt there are any!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Fenland_UK
Please initially accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your recent stay. I would like to respond to each of your points raised below.

I would also like to offer you a preferential rate on a return visit to include dinner on a complimentary basis. I do hope that consider returning as I would like to prove to you that your previous stay was not to the usual standard that I would expect guests to experience. Please feel free to contact me when making arrangements as I would like to look after your reservation personally.

Your booking does indeed confirm your request for a double and twin room. May I apologise on behalf of the reception and reservation team that your request was not fulfilled. It appears that an administration error resulted in the wrong room type being allocated. A training matter has been identified which has been completed this week.

I have passed your comments to the Head Chef who would like to convey his apologies.

Replacement remote controls are available and should have been offered. I am sorry that this did not occur in this instance.

Breakfast service at the weekend is from 08.00-10.00. Arrangements could have been made to serve breakfast earlier if requested or as you have quite rightly proposed to remove the price allocated to breakfast from your bill. I will be arranging a credit for the cost of the breakfast from the invoice as it was not taken.

Subsequent to your stay I had been made aware of a number of disruptive guests that had been in the hotel during the time that you were here. The Night Porter left a full hand over regarding the incident. Given the volume of noise and disruption being created by the guests I was not surprised when I was told that guests not connected with the group were affected and understandably upset by the interruption to their sleep. I am sorry that you were affected by this inconsiderate and selfish behaviour.

Julien was covering a night porter shift as our full time Night Porter had contacted the hotel earlier that day to confirm that he could not complete his shift. Julien has been employed at the hotel for a number of years and has undertaken the necessary training with regards to fire safety and related legislation. All staff at the hotel are trained on how to deal with abusive and disruptive guests and ultimately in some cases will request the attendance of local police. In the incident you have described Julien should have taken this course of action.
caerphilly
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I nearly did not book this hotel after reading some of the reviews on here. I am so glad that I did!

Upon arrival at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised by the entrance of the hotel. The receptionist, Patrick, was very friendly polite and helpful. it was so nice to be greeted with a welcoming smile.

There is ample car parking at the hotel. There is limited spaces at the front of the hotel but there are additional spaces at the back of the hotel.

We were given the keys to our room and en route thought the hotel was extremely clean. Our room, a twin room was spacious and clean and had a well stocked hospitality tray and toiletries.

we decided to use the bar in the hotel instead of going out. Again, we are so glad we did. The bar tender was polite, in fact we cannot critise the staff at the hotel at all. All were very friendly and professional. A good example of how hospitality staff should be and in my opinion, are more than capable of working in five star establishments.

I am a coeliac and usually find it difficult to find something to eat in hotels, unless they are the 5 star kind. My firend asked if they had a gluten free snacks and they offered to make me a gluten free sandwich. I was very impressed. I was given a number of options for fillings and in all honesty it was the best sandwich I have had in years. what impressed me was the lenghts they went to. Excellent customer service all the way.

The bed was comfortable, and we both had a restful nights sleep.

Breakfast was exceptional. Everthing was cooded to perfection. there was a assortment of juices, cereals, toast and the full cooked english.

I would highly recommend this hotel. In this case, the phrase you get what you pay for is not relevant, you get MORE than you pay for.

Undeniably it needs a lick of paint here and there. Overall, you can turn a blind eye to that and look at the positives that this hotel has to offer. There are a lot!

We will be back, again and again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank badgerswood23
clitheroe
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Had a scare when i was given the key to a room that had not been prepared. The previous occupants had certainly had a good time. All was well when i was offered an alternative which was fine. The type of hotel i would stay in for a night. It looks a little run down from the outside, but the room was clean and everything functioned. Breakfast was good and served with a smile.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank phil b
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed at the Falstaff Hotel for three nights 30th December to 2nd January 2012. After we had booked our stay I went on to trip advisor and was a little dismayed by the comments of some people, I rang the hotel and after talking to Tina on reception we decided to give it a go. and weren't we glad we did. We had a wonderful time, all the hotel staff were very friendly and helpfull. The resturant and food was very good. The bedrooms were very pleasent and very clean.

From the outside of the hotel it does look tired and does need painting. The hotel is within walking distance of the town centre so is ideal for visitors. For what we paid it was excellent value. We would certainly visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 46 overlooking the car park at the back of hotel and have no complaints.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have just returned from the New Year Break at the Falstaff, our second time! Absolutely excellent! The staff throughout the stay were friendly, helpful and very hard working, nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was excellent and plentiful and the accommodation and Hotel were good value for money and provide a good location. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family