“dont stay unless you have to”
Review of Falstaff Hotel

Falstaff Hotel
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Reviewed 20 November 2013

we stayed here for one night as there was nowhere else available this place is awful, the radiators do not work so we were very cold all night, there is no extra bedding left in room incase it is needed, no electric heater as a back up, half the lights are missing the light bulbs, the curtains are dirty, the furniture is dated, wobbly, and generally well battered, the carpet is threadbare, the tiles in the bathroom are a dirty disgrace especially in the shower, it is all 1970s and urgently needs a full refurbish, especially the beds which are uncomfortable, not enough tea & coffee, very over priced,and thats all the falstaff are interested in, making money but not spending it on the place, ..... we had stayed at a B&B down the road for a few days which was half the price and completely superior in every way & spotless but unfortunately booked up or we would have stayed there.

Room Tip: try and book somewhere else first
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne W
There are newer reviews for Falstaff Hotel

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I had not Tripped this Hotel, so went in blind. My first impression as we parked the car was dull and grey. Not like Sheakspears Falstaff at all, however going through the front door and I saw a potential for something good. The receptionist was helpful and we were upgraded to the Bridal Suite, so far so good. The room was huge with a large bed and a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi. After refreshing ourselves and resting we went down to the bar prior to eating in the restaurant. It was then that I really noticed the Art Deco furnishings. Subtle but there. Beautiful chandeliers and amazingly adorned curtains give this Hotel a special style. Tables and lights contribute to this in the bar and reception.
We were DB&B and we were impressed to get Rib-eye steak on the menu which was excellent. The Chef took note of my allergies and provided everything I wanted. Again the decor on the restaurant is excellent. The curtains themselves are a work of Art.
We retired to our room and that is when we noticed that it was a bit cold. The radiator was warm at one end but not at the other. To counteract this we left the bathroom door open to allow the heat from the towel rail to get into the room. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well.
Now. Breakfast. We were a bit later than we would have liked, 9.20, but I was disappointed as the scrambled eggs were solid and cold and the coffee I was given was cold, they did change that for me though. However, the entire help your self buffet did not have any lids on, so was also cold.
This Hotel has potential to get a better rating if it just pulls it's socks up. When we went to check out there was no one in reception for quite a while.
The curtains around the public areas being so ornate need periodic dusting as do the mirrors and also the sink unit in the bridal suite should be painted Black like the mirror and the wardrobe in the bedroom.
I have been more detailed than normal because I think this Hotel could do better and by doing so could be a real Gem.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete your constructive feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I have passed your comments to all of the departments highlighted. All of which would like to convey their thanks for the productive manner in which you have described your guest experience. The hotel will benefit from your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again in the future so that you can experience the improvements made.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Upon arrival I was sent to a room without any bed lined. I was quickly and politely moved to a room that had been made up.
I used to stay regularly at the I Falstaff hotel but the last 2 times I stayed there no hot water for a shower in the morning. Again I was showed to yet another room. On the second occasion when I woke up to cold water I felt the need to email the area manager, he apologised and said I could have a free stay at the Falstaff. The first time I tried to take him up on this offer the hotel was apparently full. The next time I tried my email was just ignored.
It is a shame the management of this hotel is so poor because it is well located and the staff are generally helpful and seem embarrassed at the poor management of the hotel
I used to stay regular

Room Tip: The right side of the hotel has rooms with a more reliable boiler
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties experienced. Although I did receive and responded to your initial email I did not receive the latter. Since receiving your feedback I have instructed our maintenance department to conduct a thorough check on the hot water supply to each room as it does not appear to affect the majority of hotel. Please do consider the Falstaff Hotel once again when next in the area. My apologies once again.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Very pleased with my stay here,noticing some not so good reviews I was a bit worried but I was not dissatisfied with the hotel and facilities at all.Bed and Breakfast good value as quite often they have good offers.I do think that some of your dissatisfied guests are over-reacting perhaps thinking they had booked into The Ritz!but also writing unnecessary,negative comments.I also found(Tina Brown)I think her name was on duty on my last visit very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

On behalf of the team here at the hotel I would like to convey my thanks for the kind comments which are contained within your recent review. They are very much appreciated by the team here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hotel is clean, pleasant, has a good location, only 5 minute walk from town centre. Breakfast was OK on 1st day as a buffet but on 2nd day order service which wasn't as good - some shortage in items, small selection but sufficient. Staff nice & tried to do a good job.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

I am sorry that the hotel did not exceed your expectations. May I also apologise for the inconsistent breakfast service experienced, which has been addressed. Your comments regarding the team here are appreciated and will be circulated. I do hope you consider staying at the Falstaff Hotel again when next in the area.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Got the last room in this hotel, after trying every other hotel in the town. Room no. 22 is not recommended, as it is right beside the kitchen extractor fan which creates some racket when on full throttle. Cats would feel comfortable in this room, as they would be safe in the knowledge that they couldn't be swung about the place. They would also feel safe in the shower, as their dislike of water wouldn't be seriously tested, due to the lack of water pressure. Food was average. On the night of our stay, it seemed that the introduction of prohibition was imminent, as their stocks of beverages appeared to be well run down, given the limited range of wines on offer. On the plus side, staff were friendly and doing their best. However, I would not be tempted back.

Room Tip: Avoid room 22
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liam W
frequenthoteluser37, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for completing your review following your recent stay. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Your comments have been circulated and improvements will be made in the areas highlighted. Naturally I would like the opportunity to restore you confidence in the hotel. With that in mind I would like to invite back when next in the area. Please contact me when convenient as I would like to look after the reservation personally. My apologies once again.