“Disappointing”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

As a long term resident of Leamington, I stayed at the Falstaff as it was located close to the purpose of my business, but will definitely not stay there again. The car park (south side) is shabby and very difficult to manouevre around. The entrance is bleak and shabby. The lady on reception was reasonably pleasant and helpful but getting to the room was like the Crystal Maze, negotiating poorly signed fire doors, staff doors and creaky stairs. The room was very poor (no 59). It smelt from drains and was cold (February). It had two small single beds, each with only a thin quilt, but luckily I found an old spare blanket in the wardrobe which was helpful. The bathroom was very basic and pokey and the shower took a long time to control temperature on the very basic taps, and then leaked all over the floor, despite having properly closed the curtain. Towels were OK. I ordered one drink at the bar in the evening after trying to find a barman at reception, and then had to revisit reception to pay by credit card as this was not possible at the bar. Breakfast was OK but service was atrocious. With only one other table occupied, the two staff in the room enjoyed a pleasant conversation and seemed oblivious to me and 3 times I had to get up to ask for service - once to order breakfast, and twice to get more coffee.
The lady at checkout was OK but identified a bar bill from the night before - which I had already paid for and had a text notification to that effect frfom my bank. However, on checking with her supervisor I was told that this was only an authorisation and payment was required again. By this pooint I had lost the will to live and was happy to leave for the extra price of a pint!
£75 a night - I've stayed in better B and Bs for half the price.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nick B
Matt T, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback following your recent stay. I am sorry that the Falstaff did not meet or indeed exceed your expectations. Your feedback will be used constructively by the departments highlighted. Please forward your contact details so that we can look into the duplicate payment as a reimbursement will be offered for the overpayment. My apologies once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed here last week on business. I have to confess that Best Western is not normally my hotel brand of choice however based on my experience at this hotel I think I've been converted. Every member of staff I had contact with was extremely polite and helpful. The room I had looked like it was recently refurbished and the free wi-fi actually worked in the room. Bonus!! Having had a busy day I decided to eat in the hotel and I have to say the food was devine. Washed down with a glass of red then off to a lovely comfy bed followed by a hearty breakfast. Couldn't fault it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Matt T, General Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you Roger for your review. It is good to hear acknowledgement following the recent improvements implemented at the hotel. The team would like to convey their thanks also. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Falstaff when you are next in the area. Thank you once again.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent Hospitality - has my recommendation.
Excellent Service & great experience.
Staff went above and beyond making sure our stay was outstanding, so so friendly. We've only usually receive service on this scale at a 5 star hotel abroad! Well done to you all and we'll certainly see you again. Joe

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for forwarding your kind comments following your recent stay. Your comments are really appreciated by the team who all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area. Thank you once again.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

my partner made our booking over the phone about 3-4 hours before we arrived and agreed a discounted rate as it was late availability. we arrived and there was no one at reception so we rung the bell. a woman walked past and just gave us a really unhelpful look and walked through to the back office. no hello. no smile. not even how can i help or someone will be with you in a minute. a gentleman came to check us in. again no hello or smile - just how can i help. they had no confirmation of our booking or anything and we had to show him the email confirmation 3 or 4 times on our phone before he checked us in. we got no apology what so ever for the mess up with our booking and the long wait checking in.

Hotel itself looked quite clean and well presented. i didnt know it had a pool or fitness center until i did this review and it asked me to rate them - there are no signs as you go in to the hotel for this. there isnt an information pack about the hotel in room - or of there was it was hidden away somewhere! we got to the room which was so small you couldn't actually swing a cat in there if you wanted to. i'm glad we got a discounted rate as i would have refused to pay full price for it. they have 6 different wifi connections - free to use but only 3 of which popped up on my phone. i could only get a connection to one of them but then that dipped out and lost connection. completely rubbish. one good point about the room was the bed was very comfy and we both slept well (which is the reason for my one star) we didnt eat dinner and we didnt stay for breakfast as we were joining family for a birthday celebration.

we came to check out in the morning and the reception manager was on duty (according to her name badge), but even then we didnt get a warm welcome of good morning or hello or even eye contact, just here's how much the bill is, are you using the same card you gave last night. there was no did you enjoy your stay or any little pleasant conversation you expect whilst paying and we didnt even get a thank you or good bye as we left. shocking!! i just didnt see the point of explaining how un happy we were with the service - she looked like she wouldnt be bothered or apologise anyway.

We only saw 3 members of staff while we were there and they were all miserable as sin, As head receptionist of a 4 star hotel myself, I know first hand how important it is to make your guests feel welcomed and valued when they come in to your hotel. we definitely were not. i was so shocked at the hotel's lack of customer care and dis-interest in their guests. The General Manager needs to sort the staff out and send them on some customer service training - quick!!
Very disappointed, we will not come back. the rating of only 35% on here speaks for itself, avoid this hotel if you value your service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank feathercrazy89
Matt T, Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the difficulties experienced during your stay. Your feedback will be used to highlight the quite evident shortfalls in the customer service offered both when checking in and again when checking out. Your satisfaction is important to me and I will be using your feedback to implement improvements with the two members of the team subsequently identified to ensure a better experience for guests in the future. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our Night Porter, I will pass them on at the earliest opportunity. Your feedback regarding room cleanliness and comfort of bed has also been noted and circulated.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that I can prove to you that your comments have been acted upon.

Travellers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights for my graduation with my parents and a friend. The staff was really really helpful and help us out with everything. Very clean room the only problem was with our heating : it was too hot (but we did not even ask the reception to do something, so I guess it did not bother us that much).

Room Tip: The center of the city is NOT far away walking (like 10 min) even if it does not seem in a map. Ask...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Matt T, Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your review. Customer Service is key so I really appreciate that you have acknowledged this strength following your recent stay. Your comments have been circulated around the team here who would like to convey their thanks also. I do hope that you consider a return visit on your next trip to the area. Thanks again.
Warwickshire
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed fri 17th jan, a late booking we were attracted by the fantastic bargain price.
It was a very cold day, so we were pleased to receive warm welcome & greeted by friendly and professional reception staff, Kerrie. She explained everything go us, opening times, location of bar, breakfast etc etc and offered help with our luggage as there is no lift. Being offered help with your luggage goes a long way, Well done kerrie.
Reception/lobby decorated elegantly.

After reading the reviews we were skeptical on the rooms, so weren't expecting much.
Pleasantly surprised, Room 65 very warm and cosy, clean & tidy.
This is nit picking but I did miss a bin in bathroom, women especially require a bin for sanitary reasons.
Yes the room decor is a bit tired, but clean, cosy & comfortable, so does the job and I am quite fussy. Further to be fair to the falstaff ive stayed in more expensive places which also needs refurbishment. Besides im sure the hotel manager/cooperation are already aware a refurbishment is needed, and will get done at some point.
The floorboards do creak but only added to the charm of this olde worlde regency building, if you don't want to enjoy/appreciate the stunning architecture of the falstaff then stay in a soul less modern hotel.
Friendly cleaner provided extra milk when I asked her and politely said for us to enjoy our stay, again friendly staff who care about your experience.
A short walk into town, took me 15 minutes as I am unfit and walk slow, my other half could have got there in less than half that time. So no taxi costs.

The only negative if im honest is I had is the room overlooked the kitchen, they had the door open, the kitchen staff were very loudly talking or should I say shouting, banging, singing, clapping.
Listening to their incessant shouting was irritating beyond belief. Infact It woke us up and kept us awake. This needs to be addressed in order to maintain professional standards, they are letting hotel down.
Giving up on sleep my other half went for breakfast. He said it was enjoyable until the cook came in and shouted across the restaurant to the waitress, and she shouted back her response "a sausage sandwich". This was unprofessional and totally spoiled the atmosphere, it is not a transport cafe. Only offered one cup of coffee throughout breakfast.
These are not major issues and can be sorted easily.
We totally enjoyed our stay and will be returning, I only mention the negatives as constructive criticism to improve the service and thus the hotel experience.
Another positive was the charming hotel night porter, yes he did have limited English but more than made up for it in politeness and friendly hospitality. He anticipated our needs and was able to assist us in a professional manner, well done.

This hotel had excellent customer service and a lovely hotel so we will be staying again soon.
Bottom line is I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank a W
Matt T, Manager at Falstaff Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regrading the Customer Service received during your recent stay. I have passed your comments to Kerrie (Receptionist) and Becci (House Keeper) who would both like to thank you also. I have also addressed the points raised regarding excessive noise from the kitchen and quality of service during breakfast. I hope the improvements introduced following your feedback will be evident when you next visit the hotel. Thank you once again.
Littlehampton
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed 22nd January 2014 in Room 1, had a continuous droning noise all night and the room smelt of bad eggs. Also very tired looking

Reception was good and gave me a free breakfast for the trouble, but tried to say that this was the first complaint they had received!!!

Premier Inn next time me thinks

Room Tip: Don't get room 1
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business