“Faded splendour”
Review of Falstaff Hotel

Falstaff Hotel
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

First appearances are excellent but the closer you look the more disappointing it us - soap dispense over the sink empty, bracket for soap dispenser over the bath but no dispenser, chipped bath, mouldy grout. Shower panel doesn't fit so floor gets wet - I could go on and on.
Staff friendly and helpful - breakfast a bit limited and greasy - and PLEASE get better toasters!

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night to attend a wedding in Leamington. Hotel was clean and tidy. Room of a good size. Bed was 2 singles pushed together, which was a little odd, but didn't bother us. Fine stay for what we needed, and also within walking distance to the town centre.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at this run down hotel over last bank holiday weekend. The whole place needs a good clean, staff smoking outside the front door is never a great start, but their fag buts and other debris litter the steps to the front door. The room - to be fair was clean and well presented, but being a lover of fresh air my partner tried to open the window a little more. The big old sash style window was open a few inches. There was no warning that the sash cords were broken, so as she tried to lift the window a good 30 lbs of wood and glass crashed onto her fingers.I first tried to phone reception to get some help, 3 minutes of ringing with no answer! so I ran to get some ice and bandages. The first member of staff I found was laying a table, I asked for first aid and ice, and was told "yes fine I will get it in a minute", the the waiter continued laying the table. Thanks mate! I went to the bar and asked for ice and first aid where I was informed by a woman who may be a "supervisor" that they were unable to give me first aid - insurance. someone thankfully came to their senses, and gave me a first aid kit, and after some debate on which container to use some ice as well. This was the end of the staff's involvement or concern about the matter. I would have thought that if a customer informed a member of staff that one of their windows had injured a guest some concern or help would be forthcoming, sadly not. The staff seem more concerned with chatting and using their mobiles than providing any service. I suspect this is down to cost cutting and bad management at the "top". After a troubled night - my partner still being in some pain. we tried breakfast. What a disgrace, Yesterdays cheap sausage reheated, bacon folded and just shown the grill, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms that might have been fresh the week before, and fried egg cremated on the bottom but raw on top, all served in a grubby room, with grubby crockery and water-stained glasses. We will not be returning to any "Best" Western Hotel

Room Tip: chose another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is a little tired and in need of modernisation. It's within easy walking distance of the town itself and the room, though basic and quite small, was clean and quiet. There was ample parking while we were there too so all in all we were expecting to enjoy our stay - until we encountered the staff. Without exception they were surly, miserable and completely hopeless. No welcome greeting, no information about the layout, where the breakfast room was or the bar, or anything else for that matter. It felt as though we were troubling them by turning up. At breakfast we were placed at someone else's table - he'd gone for a refill of orange juice - and then moved to a vacant table that had not been set, so we had to ask for everything, (tea, coffee, salt, cutlery, butter etc.) and although the quality of the food was good, some of it was cold. But not as cold as the attitude of the staff. The couple on the next table had obviously suffered the same treatment and we had a chuckle about it, but it really was appalling. I should point out that we were not in any way demanding, in fact apart from the missing breakfast table items we asked for nothing at all throughout our stay, so there was no reason at all for the staff behaviour. Needless to say we would not dream of returning to this hotel - or any Best Western hotel for that matter.

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms, book into another hotel!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheJCC
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I booked a twin room at The Falstaff so that a friend and I could go to an event at The Assembly, and all we needed was a place to stay overnight. It didn't need to be swish, but it did need to be comfy and clean - and it turned out to be exactly what we wanted. The room (42) was a reasonable size - a proper twin rather than a converted double, with space all the way round and in between. A chair each side and another at the dressing table next to the plentiful supply of tea/coffee making facilities - with biccies. Flat screen TV, decent storage space if you are staying a while, the beds were firm but comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well maintained.
The view from the window was just another room opposite, but this hardly rates as an eyesore and I've stayed in more expensive places with worse. The reception area and lobby has a deliberate faux period look to it, thestaff were helpful, although there seem few on duty when we arrived, but the bar prices were pretty good, breakfast (according to friends who got up earlier than we did) was fine, and the hotel also has free parking. It is a twenty minute walk from Leamington Spa centre which for most people is easy - unless you are lazy or overweight in which case you need to exercise more. I would say this was fair value for the money, especially on a Saturday, late April in a really nice town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was disappointed with this Hotel, I was booked through a Hotel booking service as I was visiting a training Establishment nearby, and at £80+ per night I was expecting something way above average, what I got was some thing way below. This hotel could do with the outdated interior gutted and refurbished through out to bring it up to an exceptionable standard.I stayed in Room 4 comfortable and clean but so hot even with the windows being left permanently open, the shower left a lot to be desired, the Temp control with the water supply rings were almost fused together it took me 20mins and using considerable force to get the water temperature at an acceptable level
On the plus side the staff were triendly and the food good, but I wont use it again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business