“Very nice room, but a very serious problem”

Holiday Inn Leamington Spa-Warwick
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
New York City, New York
“Very nice room, but a very serious problem”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Great room - reasonable price, but when we booked this room the web-published Holiday Inn site advertised "Free Wi-Fi". This was a total lie. Wi-Fi was available for 6 Pounds an hour, which is the highest price for Wi-Fi I've ever observed! When I brought to the attention to the management they were totally indifferent to my very legitimate complaint and offer no resolution whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ericg51
HOTELMANAGERWARLS, Manager at Holiday Inn Leamington Spa-Warwick, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you for your review - I am glad you were happy with your room. With regard to the charges for internet use, I was on holiday at the time of your stay, so was unaware of the issue and do apologise if your concern was not well handled by our staff. I was very concerned to read from your review that you were under the impression that we offered free internet access and I have therefore reviewed both our own Holiday Inn website and the Lateroom website through which your reservation was made and although internet access is mentioned, there is no reference at all to free wifi access. To clarify matters I have taken steps to ensure that the actual prices for the internet service will be shown on our website moving forward. Incidentally at the time of your stay, we did not in fact offer wifi access in our bedrooms, internet access was by means of a wired system, but I am delighted to let you know that since then we have changed providers and have had wireless access installed in all bedrooms. There is still a charge for this service, but I am also very pleased to say that we have been able to reduce these charges somewhat.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed here 1 night in 'family room' 243. This room is quite possibly the noisiest hotel room I have ever encountered. Rang reception before putting the kids to bed to be assured that the excessively noisy fan units below the room would go off in half an hour. An hour later, the fans go off. Kids eventually fall asleep. 30 minutes later, fans on again. I ring reception to be told by someone else that the fans will go on til at least 10:30pm and possibly longer and are the kitchen fans so will be on and off every time a room service order is received during the night. Kids asleep by this point so can't move room. First member of staff has completely lied to us. I say 'surely I can't be the first person to complain about this noise?'.. 'oh no, you're not the first' says the receptionist... So why the hell are you still putting families in this room then???? Woken at least 4 times during the night by the fans. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the horribly stained (coffee? Blood?) sheet that had to be changed on one of the beds too.
Left my details with reception for the customer service manager to contact me and sort out how they plan to recompense me for the horrible stay and have I had a call or an email??.... Noooo, of course not. They don't care. They have a further week to contact me or I will be emailing their CEO.
Horrible hotel with staff who lie to you and customer care manager who fails to care about their guests. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed September 2011
In response to your review, we had not been made aware that you had asked us to contact you, or our Quality Manager would certainly have done so - an email has since been sent to you privately in response to the issues you raise.

Travellers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Rooms were clean and tidy with 2 double beds, although the bedroom and corridors need updating as there was peeling paper and paint, old fashioned TV's, and the bathrooms had seen better days which all let this hotel down. Drinks very expensive so only used bar the once and the internet was extortionate which seemed odd as most hotels and bars now offer free wi-fi/internet access. Staff were pleasant. The best thing about the hotel was the breakfast. There was a huge choice of cereals, english and continental breakfast, you were shown to your own table and served tea and coffee, even though there was a large coach trip there was plenty of space.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Tannerct
HOTELMANAGERWARLS, Manager at Holiday Inn Leamington Spa-Warwick, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
Thank you for your review and for your kind comments - we are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast experience at the Holiday Inn Leamington Spa and that you found the staff to be pleasant. We have noted your comments about the TVs and are delighted to let you know that we are currently in the process of rolling out an update of our TVs, so that very shortly we shall have state of the art flat screens in all our bedrooms. We are also delighted to let you know that next year we shall be taking a full bedroom refurbishment.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Make sure you have a car as it's a distance from Leamington or anywhere for that matter but good for shopping as next to a retail park. All the staff seemed rather young & inexperienced, specially in the restaurant were we ate, just little things like asking for butter that wasn't rock hard or some gravy to go with the pie or some ice in the jug of water, silly little things like that spoilt it & to top it all being asked to pay for the room again after paying Expedia directly 4 weeks earlier plus a 10% service charge on top of the restaurant bill, which I had not been informed of & insisted it be removed. I'm afraid to say it was over priced at £54 & I Premier Inn were a lot better in all departments the following night & at £29, almost half the price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spotbot1
Thank you for your review. We have noted your comments about the service in the restaurant and whilst we are unable to affect the issue of the hard butter as we have to refrigerate it for food hygiene reasons, to address the other things you mention can only help to improve the service we offer, so we thank you for bringing them to our attention. We would just point out that whilst we are situated outside the town centre, guests at the hotel do often walk to the two canalside pub restaurants located nearby and some hardier souls do walk into town!
Ross on Wye
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I was booked into the Holiday Inn Leamington Spa for two nights this week, but cut my visit short, leaving after the first night.

I arrived very tired and hungry at 9.00pm on Tuesday, and went straght to my room, which was comfortable and clean. I ordered room service, steak and chips, which arrived at 10.10pm. The steak was so rare it was still cold and gelatinous in the middle, so I called room service and sent it back. They were apologetic and offered to cook me another one, but it was too late to eat by then and I was too tired.

I think I must have been by a room with a generator or similar sort of machine in it, as every hour or so i was disturbed by a loud machine noise (similar to a washing machine on spin cycle). I was getting more and more frustrated by this, and remember being wide awake at 3.45am. I must have eventually dropped off but was awoken again at 6 by some sort of delivery/collection of what sounded like glass bottles for recyling.

After trying to get back to sleep and failing I ended up reading for a couple of hours until it was time to get up and go for breakfast, which I was really looking forward to having had no meal the night before.

My view is the staff at breakfast see customers as being there to make 'their' life easier, not the other way around! As a single diner, I was lead past many 'laid up' tables for 2 or more, to a lowly spot in the corner that was laid up for one. No smile or conversation was to be had - however I wasn't feeling very chatty either due to empty tummy and exhaustion!!

As I was hungry, I decided to treat myself to something 'special' from the breakfast menu, rather than the dodgy looking bacon and scrambled eggs combo. So I asked the 'friendly' waitress for poached haddock and poached eggs. She looked at me as though I was an alien and stated that she didn't think the chef could do that. I asked her to check for me, and when she returned there was some flannel about no delivery being made. I then asked for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - clearly stated on the breakfast menu, at this stage she rolled her eyes, went into the kitchen, came straight back out, and said there was no salmon. by this point I was feeling bloody minded, and decided to try my luck by ordering Eggs Benedict. This was when it started to get comical, by the reaction of the waitress you'd have thought I'd have just ordered a boiled baby!! Anyway, eventually a plate was put in front of me, and the waitress ran away as quickly as she could. When I looked at the plate I realised why. Instead of there being the usual Eggs Benedict - ie toasted english muffin, ham, poached eggs topped with hollandaise, I'd received something far more 'special'. On my plate were three American sweet mini muffins, thoughtfully they were all different flavours, one blueberry, one chocolate, and one cherry. On top of these were two poached eggs, and the delicious meal was topped off by some mayonaise. Yum!!

I decided enough was enough, and went for the toast and cereal option. Suffice to say the original waitress was absent, and when her colleage cleared my plate she also agreed that what was there wasn't eggs benedict. She went to tell the chef, who exploded in some colourful language, which we all heard, as he was just behind a swingdoor. There were lots of hoots and shouting, along with some derogatory comments about me, so I decided enough was enough, called the Hilton, and checked out of there straight away!

I'd been booked in to stay there again for a couple of nights later this month, but have now changed my booking to a local B&B.

Go and stay if you're pregnant and crave whacky food combo's! Otherwise steer clear.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 235!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank LoopyLooRossonWye
As the Manager of this hotel, I am horrified to read this review of your experience - I apologise wholeheartedly and will contact you directly. You have my sincere apologies.
Ontario
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Bertilda on the front desk was one of the best we have seen. Thoughtful, most helpful and very efficient. A definite asset to the hotel. Hotel close to Warwick Castle. Clean and with a good English Breakfast. Recommend. Reasonable rates.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HavnfunOntario
London UK
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The hotel is basically OK - the rooms are a bit worn, but clean, but the hallways on the first floor have peeling wallpaper, and the lifts are a bit shaky and old. The whole place feels tatty.

EVERYTHING is expensive: wifi is £15 per day, a large glass of basic wine is nearly £7, and the food is OK, but again, expensive. It's not a cheap hotel, and yet the service and quality doesn't suggest top notch in the slightest.

Staff are variable. Some are very good and eager, one was not very friendly or helpful at all.

The pricing of the breakfast is a bit strange: it's £8 if you buy a voucher the night before (comparable with, say, Premier Inn), but £13 if you pay for it on the day.

Given that this is by no means a discount hotel, I expected much, much more, and I left feeling royally fleeced.

Premier Inn do it all so much better.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Episode Hotel
Episode Hotel
#8 of 16 in Leamington Spa
Holiday Inn Express Warwick - Stratford Upon Avon

Been to Holiday Inn Leamington Spa-Warwick? Share your experiences!