“The perfect place for our needs”

Holiday Inn Leamington Spa-Warwick
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Every year since 2001, I have used the Holiday Inn Leamington Spa as a base for people attending an annual truck show held at nearby Gaydon. As the organiser of the show, I regularly reserve in excess of 30 rooms (a mix of singles, twins and doubles) for 1, 2 and 3 nights and I can honestly say that in the 9 years I've been running the show, I have NEVER been refused a room. I have also had to book peolpe in at the very last minute and again, there has always been a room available.
I have nothing but praise for Angela Dixon and her team, who have always been kind, courteous and friendly to all of us, even when we decend on mass to book in, there is always a smiling face to greet us!
The hotel itself has always been clean and the rooms very comfortable.
Because we need to arrive at the truck show venue early in the mornings, the kitchen staff now know our requirements (from past years) and put out the lovely breakfast for us before the restaurant is officially open. That is a nice jesture which we all appreciate very much.
It is always a pleasure to stay at the hotel, which meets all of our needs and is perfectly located for our show which has just concluded (last weekend). Already I am receiving very positive comments for people regarding the hotel.
Knowing that the hotel is so good makes my job as organiser so much easier.
Once again thanks Angela and all of your team!

• Stayed: June 2009

Reviewed 11 June 2009

this hotel looks like its on an economy drive with staff trained in the 70's. my room was also looking pretty tired. The worst thing was the breakfast:
It is a buffet breakfast, help yourself, but everything is the cheapest quality. There were two sulky staff pretending to be busy. They were not clearing tables or topping up the buffet, hence no food and nowhere to sit! There were three people queing to be shown to the table, the waitress came out of the kitchen, shook her head and went straight back in! It was straight out of faulty towers.
Stop at the HIExpress at Warwick its cheaper, newer and the staff at least care.
When I checked out, the reception staff just seemed to want to get rid of people as soon as possible. Noobody asked if I enjoyed my stay or if there were any issues. I had the survey pushed under my door but why tick boxes when you have staff who can sort things out?

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Stayed at this hotel for four nights while on business. As the other reviews state, this is your typical 3 star Holiday Inn, i.e, nothing fancy). Check in was quick and the room was small but clean. I had trouble with the Internet access and the front staff is not the people you want to ask for help with internet access issues. By the way, internet access is GBP 6,00 for just one hour and they charge 1.50 for any call (even toll free). If you are a tourist, stay in nearby Stratford Upon which is a lot more tourist friendly, as this hotel in located in an industrial park and not near a downtown location.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Dansladen
Reviewed 13 March 2009

We stayed here for one night whist on business.
Reception - adequate.
Bar - It took about 10 mins for someone to man the bar even though the bar area was quite busy. Apparently the barman was helping out in the restaurant! When we finally got served we were told that they wouldn't have any bitter until the next day. Not much use to us, we needed it there & then!
Resturant - The restuarant only had a 2 or 3 couse set menu which we felt was overpriced. The main course took 25 mins to arrive as did the pudding but the place was half empty. When the food did finally arrive it was very nice but, not somewhere to eat if you just what a quick meal.
Rooms - The rooms were clean and comfortable if a little small.
Breakfast - very small buffet with a limited choice. Not one of the best!
We will not be in a hurry to return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Well, this should be the perfect location; we enjoyed leamington Spa`s shops, had a walk to Warwick along the canal and the river from just near to the hotel, ( though we got the train back !), noted the nearby waterside pubs, Sainsburys and Mc Donalds, but after having been welcomed by somoene trying to charge us more than the price we had booked the room for, were stuck in a small very hot room, spent the entire evening and much of the night being driven mad by a group of teenagers partying in what seemed like 10 adjacent rooms, running in and out of each others rooms all night etc and vowed that whilst we`d certainly return to the area again,, we would stay elsewhere.

Interesting to note previous comments about the car park charge; this has now gone, but we were interested to see a notice on the Independent newspapers in the lobby that they were £1. each. Have never seen anything asking for any money for one of those newspapers in any other Holiday Inn in the UK. Not especially upset about this, but I guess it must say something about the philosophy of those running the hotel, and their priorities. !

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Stayed at this mediocre hotel again and the same issues remain.

This is my sixth visit this year and the beds seem as bad as ever - with last nights bed totally sunk on one side and the other side lumpy. In summary the mattresses are obviously very tired.

The room also suffered from significant road noise as the window was faulty and failed to close correctly.

Breakfast buffet had been slightly revamped - although weak compared to many hotels (and other HI's).

On the plus side, the irritating parking charge does seem to have been removed.

I remain unable to recommend this hotel unless you require proximity to Tachbrook Park.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RDH72
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Having stayed at this hotel several times, I would rate this hotel no more than three stars.

On all occasions I have stayed in a queen bedroom, the room is equipped with standard furniture, desk, lounge table, cupboard, a couple of chairs, Iron/Board, 21" television, kettle, tea/coffee sachets provided and a fan. The rooms are definitely outdated but quite clean. The bathroom has also seen better days but again very clean and supplied with Dove cream wash dispensers, On some occasions you are also provided with small miniature toiletries but that’s down to luck, on my last visit there was just a small bottle of Bath Foam, however on a previous visit there was a bottle of moisturiser, shower gel, shampoo, soap, sewing kit and shoe shine block.

I have eaten several times during breakfast and dinner, there is quite a bit of variety at breakfast but pretty standard at the same time, dinner also has a fairly decent range, however food is highly priced considering there is a couple of diners around the corner, Frankie and Benny's, KFC and McDonalds. A litre bottle of water costs £3.50.

All rooms offer high speed internet access but at a high price, £6 per hour or £15 for 24 hours. I use 3G (Mobile Broadband) which works very well around the hotel, especially on the first and second floors.

As a business guest, the hotel is quite satisfactory, however it must be noted the hotel is situated in the middle of a business park. Access to Warwick, Leamington Spa, M40, A46 is good. Having a large retail park just around the corner (2 minutes by car), Sainsbury’s (Inc Petrol), Next, Mothercare, Frankie and Bennys, KFC etc is extremely convenient.

As other reviews have mentioned, the hotel now charges for parking, this costs £2.50 per night, I don't know what management were thinking when they introduced this "lets squeeze more out of our customers" charge, but it’s highly unfair. Had it not been for my company paying for my expenses, I would not be staying at this hotel on this point alone.

The staff are outstanding considering the hotels bad points. They have always been polite, helpful and very friendly. No request, no matter what the time, is too much for them.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Tesh50