“Awful stay - checked out at 6.30am”
Review of Episode Hotel

Episode Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
London, United Kingdom
“Awful stay - checked out at 6.30am”
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

I'll start with the good...fantastically central location. Very nice bar area. Oh, our bathroom was clean, too.

Now the bad...We booked a 2 night break at Episode using a Buy A Gift voucher. We'd spent time on their website which talked about a small number of rooms having not been refurbished. While we did guess that they'd put us in one of the unrefurbished rooms because we'd booked using the "reduced price voucher", we had no idea quite how ropey it was actually going to be (especially when compared to all the pictures of the refurbished rooms).

There was a huge bed in the middle of the room, but very little else. It felt cold and damp like a store room. The window blind fitted so badly that when the sun came up the next morning the entire room was bathed in light.

There was little to no sound proofing on the walls and we could hear absolutely everything and everybody who walked past our room (including the drunken people from the party the hotel was hosting during our stay who came up at 4am...).

The bed was something out of the 1950's with very little spring in the mattress. The pillows weren't much better, either. And they only let us have 1 pillow each.

My husband and I woke up at 5.30am on the Sunday morning of our stay and couldn't get back to sleep so got up, checked out and drove the 75 miles home to bed at 6.30am, much to our annoyance. On checkout, the night porter asked if we'd like to be contacted about our time, which we of course said "yes", but to this day, we've still not had a call.

Our rating of 1 star is clearly reflective of the terrible room and bed and I'd like to hope all the rooms aren't like this.

Not to be repeated.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bec30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 June 2012

we stayed here night before going to friends christening, checkin was painless and got our keys (lock keys not electronic) we had to "upgrade" to deluxe room so that we could fit a zip bed in to accommodate our little son. Our room had a 4 poster bed and very modern feature wall. Few things didnt like, bath was very slippy with no bath mat our son slipped alot in that, the door didnt have a security latch or inside lock which just makes you feel little safer though thats a personal thing.

Breakfast was lovely (not as previous reviewer described) with a small table of cornflakes, yoghurt fruit etc and you order you cooked breakfast. Staff at the hotel where very friendly to us and would stay here again if the occasion arose again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Was worried about the reviews, but was a perfect stay. We just needed a room overnight in Leam that was decent value. Clean, pleasant and will use when we return to the area. Ours was a non-refurbished room, but even this was great.

Perhaps if we were paying over £100 a night our view may have been very different. But at the right price, the ideal choice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I had my 40th birthday party there and although i have never stayed at episode myself i did have friends staying there when i booked the hotel as a venue for my 40th and they personally received an outstanding level of service! I cant believe there are so many poor reviews and may i add that during my days of working in 'corporate land' i would accept nothing but the highest standard sometimes staying at the waldorf in london and many other 5 stars and receiving gastronomic food from the likes of the roux brothers, gordon ramsey etc so i do feel suitably able to judge and comment. Attention to detail was of the highest order at Episode, the food was amazing and staff were 100percent so much so that i actually took them all a bouquet of flowers the next day.......my 40th became like organising a wedding, they rolled out the red carpet, they even sourced a dj for me at the eleventh hour when mine had to cancel. I had a photographer set up in the front function room to the left capturing everyones fantastic outfit creations of the 70s and 80s! I received and continue to receive to this very day compliments towards the hotel and warm happy memory recounts about it, i am just about to book the episode again for 4 july this year and i had a soiree there the year before my 40th and have never ever been dissapointed, i spent the most fantastic fun day at ascot ladies day there yesterday and again sampled scrumptious food (superb roast beef by the way!) listened to a super band followed by a lovely supper and guess what, the return of the band and danced the night away! In my estimation Episode have certainly got it right and I wouldnt hesitate to book rooms again for friends and family, long may you continue Episode.......

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed at Episode Hotel, a privately owned and run, small to medium sized hotel in Leamington Spa for a major family gathering. In a town where it is a nightmare to park, they have their own nice, and free, car park...a major consideration! The owner was on hand, and all the very well trained staff could not have been more helpful in getting all the decor and arrangements ready for the party...The place looked sensational for our arrival! Our bedrooms were all delightful...all very modern with a twist...red and black in a four poster room...or a more traditional room with lovely , high ceilings and fine quality linens on the beds. There is an excellent bar, with pretty little patio for warm evenings, and a pleasant dining room...where one can have a SUPERB, hot English breakfast , served by wait staff...no groping around the buffet table here, thank you very much. And a great pot of steaming hot, freshly made coffee! I would recommend this delightful hotel to anyone wanting a more personal style of service, and a smaller than those international standard hotels, which leave me cold, uninspired and usually unnoticed!

Room Tip: There is an excellent , way above average, handicap access room with 2 bathrooms...one is specifical...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
zurich
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The plus points were the people who were on reception on arrival who were charming. Let me tell you about the rest:
A toilet that continually flushed, in fairness they moved me straight away
The new room:
A toilet that didn't flush
A shower that must have woken the entire hotel when I turned it on a nd a peculiar drainage system that pumped the drained water in and out of the drain
A sink far too small fro the bathroom
A bedroom in which the chairs were horribly stained
Lights that were difficult to turn off when you were in bed
A mattress with more lumps and bumps than flat bits
Horribly stained carpets
A king sized bed with Queen sheets on it
No mattress cover,nice!
Breakfast:
For some reason it took more than 5 minutes to find out whether the hotel stocked natural yoghurt (answer no)
Someone else's played with butter was thought appropriate for my use, sorry no.
A hot breakfast brought out too soon, given the yoghurt scenario, so cold english and cold toast
A sausage not cooked, when I asked to have it re cooked I felt I was dealing with the oldest teenager ever, eye rolls and huffs. Still at least it was warm when it came back.
Check out:
Guess what I was charged more than the advertised rate next to the reception desk, when I queried this I was told they reserved the right to charge more. Fabulous service.

My advice to the hotel, try using your own service to see how awful it is.
My advise to anyone thinking about using this is go to the holiday inn as I did. It does what it says on the tin and you will not feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Imhunting

Travellers are raving about these Leamington Spa hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I visited the Episode hotel in Leamington Spa in March 2012 for my birthday with my boyfriend. Before we even arrived, we received very poor customer service when making the booking on the phone, and on arrival the reception staff were unhelpful and rude - for example picking up the telephone whilst we were in a conversation. Car parking was a nightmare - there was a function on and we ended up parking a mile down the road, which was annoying! On the positive side, the bar staff were excellent and you can't fault the location, plus the room was clean and tidy. We enjoyed our time spent in Leamington Spa but wouldn't come back to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple