“Absoutely Awful: Bad food, scam prices, and sincerely nasty Staff.”
Review of Kismet - CLOSED

Kismet
Price range: US$9 - US$73
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This is a gem in Leamington Spa. All the locals will visit this Indian restaurant over all others and I am surprised that they are not on here.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I don't know how to describe my 'freak show' of an evening here. The first issue which we all thought hilarious at first, was that the manager came out, all enthusiastic, and essentially tried to sell us the food. He started talking very quickly about amazing herbs, how everything tastes like an orgasm (which was a little inappropriate), and how we should forget the menu's and let him choose our meals. Although it was unusual, we didn't see any harm in letting the eccentric bloke have his way.
The next weird thing was the fact that they switched all of our wines (we hadn't realized at the time) to a more expensive brand because one person asked for THEIR bottle to be switched. Around 15 minutes later, the manager stopped me on my way out of the restaurant, stood on the bar, asked me to open my mouth and he tipped half a bottle of Sambuca over my head and face before I knew what was going on. I was very sticky and wanted to storm out, but the people I was with thought it was mildly funny, and I saw the funny side myself, so I let it go.

The last thing was the price. For a party of 17 people, our bill hit £560. I could not believe it, and when we looked down the bill, we were all just astonished with the scam they had pulled. The 'complimentary' poppadoms, in three baskets of 15 (with dip) cost us £20 per basket, the wine had been swapped from our choice of £10 house red to £18 pound branded red as I mentioned above, and we had drunk 12 bottles, adding £96 to the bill. The food had been elevated from their 'gold' set meal, to the 'Platinum' set meal without our knowledge, based entirely on the manager overhearing that someone would like fish, this added almost £10 per person to the bill.

Then, when one of our group went to the bar to have a discussion about the price, it escalated quickly into threats of violence from the staff, and the manager locked the door so that we couldn't leave without paying. All in all, it turned out to be the worst experience I've ever had in a restaurant.

Also, just in case I haven't quite convinced you yet:
The vegetarian dish contained chunks of meat, a lot of the dishes were cold, and not everyone got a meal (which wasn't obvious at the time because of the 'share food' platters).
The manager actually said the line 'If your friend doesn't calm down, we're going to take him into the alley and give him a kicking'.
Many of the waiters were big, burly men, coincidence?
Every single one of the positive reviews on this site refer to Sean (the manager) by name, coincidence?

You would get better service and food in a prison, with an equal chance of getting into a fight too.

7  Thank WashableMeercat

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We had a terrible experience. We were overcharged and threatened when we queried the bill. The waiters ganged up on us in an intimidating manner and they locked the restaurant door so we couldn't leave. Beware of this place.

5  Thank TK M
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A very strange restaurant. The manager clearly thinks he is serving cutting edge food but it is pretty average stuff which is served way too cold. The decor is really shabby and after a dispute over the bill the owner became very aggressive. Choose another curry house!

6  Thank jimbobio007
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I went to the Kismet with a friend, and to say we were disappointed would be the biggest underestimate EVER !!! From the terrible attitude from the bar staff and manager from when we arrived ( it was as though we had disturbed their conversation) to the extremely cold room, we knew from the off, this was a BIG mistake.
We sat down, and tried to order drinks, when we finally managed to collar someone we had to wait over 15 mins for them, and It wasn't even a busy night !!! While seated at our table we realised that the room was extremely cold, so much so that my friend kept her coat on the whole time. We had poppadoms to start, having been before I knew what to expect when the pickle tray arrived, and I only had the onion and the riata. My friend however tried first the brown mush! and then the orange mush! both tasteless ( which is why I always avoid them here) The mains came very quickly, so quick that we hadn't finished our poppadums, but not wanting cold food we said we would have it. I had the Kismet Special which was very bland and tasteless, my friend had the Shatcora Chicken which in her words was the worse curry she had ever had it was tough chicken, not the tender pieces as mentioned on the menu, more like Bernard Matthews slices. She said it was tasteless not even fit for her cat. We managed to eventually catch a waiters attention to get the bill, another 10 minutes passed, when the waiter returned no mention of the amount of food we had left, which I would have thought it would have triggered the obligatory, did you enjoy your meal, but no not a word.
Based on this and a previous visit I know We will never return to Kismet as there are plenty of other very good restaurants locally where I know the food is good and staff are pleasant.

7  Thank lenlord
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Appalling Service can’t comment on the food as never got to taste any. Complain about service at your own risk, wait for the response from the manager, just get ready to run!
This is by far the worst service I have ever received from a restaurant. The staff are damn right rude and aggressive if you complain. Would not “try” and eat here even if it was free. Avoid!!!

7  Thank Macca445