“A disappointing trip”

Woodland Grange
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 August 2014

This conference centre is in beautiful surroundings but when I booked I was not advised that the accommodation was in a major refurbishment stage. The noise in the rooms were unbearable from breakfast onwards. I would not have chosen this hotel for a restful break. From the minute I arrived I needed to call reception for a number of problems. TV did not work and I had to call over two days to get it fixed. A bedside lamp did not work and the shower tap was jammed.
The staff were very pleasant but came over as a bit resentful when complaints were made. There was a slight arrogance and a sense that it is not possible that we get things wrong here.
I think I must have just had an unlucky visit and perhaps other guests did not have my experience.

Room Tip: Room position depends on where renovations are taking place. Rooms near ground floor are noisy after...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Patricia S
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Patricia S, thank you for taking the time to review our venue. I can assure you that we take all comments, good and bad, very seriously as they help us to develop our offering and make improvements where necessary. The refurbishment of our lounge areas was an essential part of our development, and I am very sorry that this disrupted your stay with us. I hope I can encourage you to return to sample the new environments and correct your lasting memories of Woodland Grange.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We arrived at 9pm as we had said in our booking. The night clerk was obviously not used to reception and had little idea what to do. We had been travelling for over a month and had 2 large and 2 medium suitcases. There was no offer of a porter or even a trolley. The hotel was being renovated so we had to walk down numerous corridors to find the single lift to the second floor. We got lost several times as the signs were temporary and not clear. When we got to our room which was modern and clean, we discovered the toilet did not flush at all. I rang reception several times but no response so walked back. The night clerk had just returned. He didn't really know what to do as hotel was fairly booked up being bank holiday. He gave us another room on the first floor. Back to our room, got our cases, struggled to the lift and then to the room (only one available). It was much smaller, had a smaller bed, and was a disabled room so had no bath, had a dirty looking shower head on the wall but no shower box. The sink was ridiculous, it was so small it looked like one you would find in a caravan. Dreadful and dreadful sleep on the small bed. I had booked this hotel as I thought it looked like a country estate but in fact our room backed onto a busy road so we got road noise. In the morning I told the receptionists that we were unhappy with our stay and our room. They were very apologetic and said the night clerk needed training and reduced my rate to the single rate as it was a single room we had been put in.
The breakfast was reasonable and included in the rate. There were plenty of tables despite it being very busy as this is a conference hotel.

I can't rate higher than this as it was not a good experience at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road that backs on the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ryck

Thank you so much for sharing your experience ryck, and assisting us with identifying any weaknesses in our service delivery. Please accept my apologies for the issues you have raised, I can guarantee that these have already been addressed with the relevant departments. This is not in keeping with our usually very high standards and I hope that you will return in the future to review the refurbishment works now that they are complete.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Having stayed here several times the lounge areas are very sterile and there is little to stimulate the waiting support driver! Nothing around the area either. I would say that therefore for a conference that is exactly what you want a captive audience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RiojaRevenger
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Gerard D, thank you for offering feedback on your experience of our venue. We are in the final stages of a complete refurbishment of our lounge areas, with the main aim of creating a softer and much warmer experience. I hope you return to give us your views, and we can perhaps help you plan some activities in the local area which is rich with places to see and things to do.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have stayed here twice in the last couple of weeks , and it has been superb . The rooms are excellent with a great spa area , and an excellent breakfast .

Best to get a taxi into town , reception will order them and the bar is well stocked and pool table.

Well worth a stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for such a positive review Matt H. Our refurbishment will be finished next week, and we hope you return to give us your view on the improvements.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed for an overnight stay
En route from Folkestone to Holyhead
Perfect location and safe parking
Staff were very friendly and helpful
Very good breakfast and cooked to order
Check out very straight forward

Room Tip: No advice as only 1 night stay
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our venue Mary B, and for offering us such a high rating. We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully for a little longer next time.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here after a day out in Leamington Spa, It's a good base and only a short taxi ride back into the town for a night out. Very clean, tea and coffee available all day in the lounge area. When we go back we will make more use of the hotel and use the spa, walk around the grounds and enjoy what is a very nice hotel. Great breakfast, only downside was the building work outside of that I would recommend.

Room Tip: Wifi is not brilliant in the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review jlindajen2427. Please accept my apologies for the disruption of our refurbishment in the lounge areas, but I’m sure the results will be well worth it. We hope you return very soon to see for yourself.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Excellent hotel with very weloming receptionist. Lovely furnishings in rooms. Excellent facilities and restaurant. Situated on the outskirts of Leamington in lovely wooded grounds. Highly recommended and a true 4 star establishment. One excellent thought which was a first for me was free coffee, biscuits and fruit in the lounge - something I have never before experienced in all the 4/5star hotels I have stayed in all over the world. Well done to the management. Will book again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review and rating dollyjoepearce, I am extremely pleased that you found our offering so impressive. We are always striving to improve upon our service and facilities, and your comments are very well received.