“An oasis in a desert”

Ranked #24 of 260 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restored back to its former Art Deco glory days, Bill's Leamington Spa restaurant is a real beauty. With exposed pillars and beams, chandeliers and vintage mirrors, it's particularly beautiful at night.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“An oasis in a desert”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived in Leamington on Saturday morning for a short tour on our way home from a 4 day break of Oxford & Stratford. It was drizzling so we decided to go somewhere first to get a drink and perhaps allow the weather to change for the better. We were on The Parade and we could see Bill's lit up invitingly and decided to stop off there before venturing into the town. It was quite busy and the aroma in the dining area was most attractive which made us almost wish that we had been more hungry. We were met by Maria who welcomed us and attentively ushered us to a pleasant table for two. Like I said we only wanted a drink but people around us were enjoying mostly breakfasts that were presented most attractively on their plates. Anyway, to cut a long story short, having drank and paid for our latte's with the friendly Maria (lovely Greek girl who made a couple of oldies feel very special) my wife and I decided we would go back there for a bite to eat before leaving Leamington. On arriving back later in the morning Molly was our greeter and seater on this occasion and every bit as pleasant and friendly as Maria. The food we ordered was first class, well presented and didn't disappoint, the service throughout the restaurant was exceptional. On knowing that we came from Yorkshire, Molly told us that the chain was opening another restaurant soon in York and as we are often there visiting we will be searching for that restaurant when it does open.

• Visited July 2014

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Tasty...pricey...cheeky!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

First of all greeted very well. Menu to me was good, yes it's brief but the mains sound tasty and sometimes when you go to a restaurant and there is too much choice it takes you ages to decide and then you worry you make the wrong decision so it's not a bad thing that the menu is slightly limited but at least it's nice classics. I thought there looked a good veggie choice such as Risotto and a couple of burgers. I had the beef burger with the cheese and bacon and my friend had a chicken and chorizo burger. We enjoyed it and didn't feel stodgy at all so it was enjoyable. 2 problems, firstly on the menu is a burger with coleslaw but mine didn't come with that. So no garnish whatsoever, so just burger and skinny fries. I asked for coleslaw as I now fancied it but it's not on the sides choice? Bit weird when offered with another burger!? So when I asked if I could have it they couldn't tell me the price. The answer from the waiter was either free or about 50p. So when the bill came it said the price of the coleslaw was £2.25! It was a tiny portion and I wasn't told upfront how much it would be. The cheeky thing about the whole place is that they add the optional service charge. I hate people adding the optional service charge!!!!! So in effect I paid £2.25 for the coleslaw plus 10% so a further 22p, wonder why the charged me a higher fee for the coleslaw!? I asked the waiter why they put the 10% service charge on and he said because it's a chain that's what they do, it's not the managers choice. The chap said 100% of the charge goes to the waiter/waitress. Still I think it's expensive for what it is and I wouldn't go back based on the service charge, it just sours the meal...

2 Thank skippy_ka
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what it is, but good service”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a table for a friends birthday on a Friday evening. As soon as we walked in we were greeted to friendly faces who sat us straight away. We were a table of 6 which fitted nice and snug in a booth. The menu range was ok but mostly quite generic. If you didn't want to spend over a tender the options were VERY limited. We didnt go for starters but straight to mains, when we ordered the service was very quick all the food was out in under 15 minutes and lovely and hot. I paid nearly £10.00 for a burger and fries, to me that is just too expensive, yes the place was beautiful and well decorated but I don't expect to pay for that, not when there's a lot of competition around Leamington. The drinks were a joke, I paid £4.50 for a champaigne glass (a very small glass) filled with wine and elderflower and a frozen berry, there was only really 3 sips in my opinion. We were all pleased though after our meal and some friends brought desserts which they thoroughly enjoyed. The bill came out with the service charge, which in my opinion is cheeky and something that you don't really see in many places unless there are issues with people tipping. Overall a good meal, but definitely expensive for what it is. The drink prices are a joke, but the staff are very accommodating and friendly.

Visited July 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice food, great service.”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

A friend and I stopped in here for lunch. The staff were really friendly. Our waitress saw my friend give my little boy a birthday present and gave him a gift from Bill's (a gift wrapped bag of sweets) and a free scoop of ice cream. The staff were attentive to our needs but not over friendly or invasive. The food was very nice, particularly the chocolate brownie. It was a tad pricey for what you get, but overall a very good experience and I will definitely go back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank 79sgrif
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what it is but good service”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We went for dinner on Saturday evening, we have been wanting to try Bills for ages. Booked on line - very easy!! Seated straight away and offered drinks and given a menu. When placing our food order I asked if I could have the tomato salad instead of the corn that accompanied my meal as I'm not a fan of corn. Our waitress went away to confirm and said it was no problem and there would be no extra charge even though the tomato salad was slightly more expensive. All the food was really nice and I have no complaints about that, however, it did seem to be overpriced for the amount of food you got. After two courses was not nearly full!!
Service was lovely - all were polite and friendly.
I'd eat there again but I wouldn't hurry back.

Visited July 2014