“Another amazing anniversary!”

Ranked #48 of 256 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Price range: US$92 - US$92
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Warwickshire, England
“Another amazing anniversary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Not the first time we've been, but after the last few reviews I felt I should redress the balance with how I found my recent visit, for an anniversary.
The meal was delicious. I had a yummy fillo parcel to start, followed by a delicious duck. The duck was cooked to perfection, tender and pink with a fantastic sauce. I loved the veg : very tasty combinations and in a bowl so I could take as much or as little as I could manage. Two types of potatoes, the most delicious roasties imaginable. I followed this with an amazing cheesecake.

I've read some peoples issues. I personally love the fact that we can take our time. The table is yours for the night and you are not rushed. I think this is a good thing. I like taking my time and talking to my husband. Obviously some people prefer fast(er) food. Most of the regulars / locals like taking their time. Having said that, and despite the fact that Laura (the chef) is alone in the kitchen, the staff really do want customers to be happy and I'm sure if you said "I like to not have gaps between courses" , they would try to oblige.

I just can't recognise the restaurant from some of these reviews. I suppose it's because of those national reviews. When food critics/experts recommend a place it (a) attracts people who never would have gone before and (b) makes people more critical. I still think it is exactly what it has always claimed to be. An excellent , small local restaurant , run by a single owner chef, using local produce, with a passion for tasty food. I will continue to go back whenever I can!

4 Thank pikupiku

oxford
“anniversary dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

we were really looking forward to this tried several times to get a table to no avail . well shockingly bad . lovely friendly staff and chef came out tiwce to speake but really . having just been watching masterchef amaeteur not sure she would make it through . the renowned lamb that was so rated in the telegraph was just dreadful . the fat left on not crispy . too much of it . a chive and cheese sauce which just did not go and the stiffung over baked and dry . then a large bowl of incongrous vegetables . i was more than confused . the starter was beetroot bhaji, well it looked like a bhaji but lacked seasoning and tatse and the dip was bland . . didnt have pudding although in hinds ght maybe we should just have ice cream and nothing else. a medicore glass of rousillon each and a pepermint tea from a tea bag and we were lighter by £86 pounds . what a waste of money and good ingredients .

4 Thank hannahlouiseOxford
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic food, excellent service, lovely atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Having had a lovely meal at Queans last year we decided we would return this year with the family to celebrate our retirement. We had a really great evening made very special by the excellent service and lovely atmosphere. The food was fantastic and all eight of us enjoyed every course. Queans is small and intimate and a great way to celebrate a special occasion.

1 Thank Teragramms
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Average Food, Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The timings of the evenings events sum up the service. As a four, once seated we weren't asked for any drinks orders and waited for 20 minutes before we decided we had to ask one of the staff to take our drinks order, which then took about 20 minutes to arrive. After ordering food, and informed by the chef it might be a little while because of how busy the restaurant was, we waited about an hour for the starter, and then waited another hour for the main. The only course that came quickly was the ice cream for dessert.
When the food actually came it was okay, but no where near what was expected for the price.
Overall, the service was terrible and the food was average at best.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Will J
“Just very disappointed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I wouldn't usually go as far as to leave a review for a restaurant, but after having read the excellent reviews, it seemed like a special place to celebrate my birthday. This, sadly wasn't the case. After being seated we waited half an hour before having to ask if we could order drinks. Another couple arrived later and ordered their drinks after us but received them before us. We waited a long long time before ordering food, enough time to open all of the presents I was fortunate enough to receive and once we ordered, it was another long wait for the staters, over half an hour. The mains didn't arrive for another hour and we were all disappointed with the portions and the vegetables that arrived. I was reluctant to order pudding as by this point it was approaching 10 and I wasn't overly impressed by the ice cream. There were some nice touches bringing out a birthday cake my mum had dropped off and sprinkling confetti on the table. However my parents and I have rarely received such poor service in any restaurant let alone one which were splashing out for on a special occasion. I understand the restaurant was very busy which makes service naturally slow in a small restaurant, but that doesn't excuse the lack of attention from waiting staff and have to ask them to order drinks, etc. All in all, a big disappointment, we certainly won't be back which is a huge shame because all of the staff were truly lovely.

• Visited April 2014