“Lovely food in a lovely venue”
Review of Restaurant 23

Restaurant 23
Price range: US$26 - US$71
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Restaurant 23 has been a fixture in Leamington Spa since opening in 2006, moving to our current Grade II-listed home in 2012. Throughout this time we have forged an impressive culinary reputation, showcasing the finest local and seasonal produce with precise, modern cooking. We hold 2 AA Rosettes and regularly feature in The Good Food Guide. In addition to the restaurant with its three rooms seating up to 60, Morgan's Bar offers brunch, afternoon tea, refined bar food and cocktails either inside or on the terrace. We look forward to welcoming you.
“Lovely food in a lovely venue”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Got taken here for my birthday. Was a truly memorable night. The upstairs bar does and excellent selection of cocktails (my mojito was one of the best I've ever drunk). Downstairs in the main restaurant the serves up some wonderful food - the quality and portion sizes were spot on. About the only criticism I could level is that the petit fours were possibly a little bit rich! Not the cheapest restaurant - but certainly good value for money. Would highly recommend a visit!

1 Thank Chris B

Sheffield
“Fantastic meal - best meal ever!!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

What a wonderful surprise. We booked in for Sunday lunch expecting it to cost £40 to £50 per head as mentioned on tripadvisor. Sunday lunch was actually £26 for 3 courses. We ordered and were immediately brought an extra taster starter (beetroot jelly, goats cheese moose with popcorn topping - delicious). We were then brought 3 types of warm, homemade bread - again delicious. The ravioli crab starter was unlike anything I had had before and was totally devoid of any sugar filled commercial flavourings. All our main courses were wonderful and the 'in-between taster / cleanser' brought before pudding was fascinating: ginger beer sorbet, baked pineapple and a cube of yoghurt coated in ginger breadcrumbs. My pudding was one of the tastiest I have ever had: baked rhubarb, very soft meringue with lemon (as in lemon meringue pie without the pastry) and a tangy ice cream. The homemade cake, jelly and sweet / fudge brought before coffee were wonderful and again totally unexpected. I have paid as much for a 3 course meal (without any extras - a mint with coffee if you're lucky) where most of it has come from the local frozen food supplier. The value of this meal was unbelievable. The waiters and waitress were very friendly and efficient giving a warm welcoming feel to the place. I am sad we live too far away to go regularly.

1 Thank Jill W
Kenilworth, England, United Kingdom
“Art on a plate!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have eaten twice at this restaurant in recent weeks, both for Birthday celebrations. The food is beautifully presented and exquisitly prepared. Each plate is described when presented.
The chef and staff were very accomodating and attentive to a food allergy within the party.
The room is elegant and tables are not too cramped. There is a cocktail bar upstairs, with comfy armchairs and sofas, ideal for a pre-dinner drink.
The market menu (available only certain nights) is fantastic value and highly recommended.
My only criticism, which is minor, is that on a busy Saturday night service can be a little lacking on occassions. There are plenty of staff available but we frequently had to ask for our drinks to be topped up.
Other than that , a lovely restaurant with fine dining at its best.

2 Thank Jayne J
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I cannot fault the staff for helping me arrange a dinner for friends with short notice. The food was delicious and we were looked after but not smothered in the private dining room, a perfect balance. The wine selection suited all of us and the cocktail bar upstairs was enjoyed to finish the evening off.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Jane S
coventry
“A lovely dining experience”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went for dinner at Restaurant 23 on Saturday night. We were offered the opportunity to have a drink in the bar upstairs first. We sat in big armchairs by the fire. The service was unhurried and attentive.

The food was lovely. I had a rabbit dish to start with then venison as the main course. For dessert, we shared an apple dish, with four exquisite little apple deserts on one plate. We had were given two complementary amuse bouches during our meal. To start it was a beetroot jelly and goats cheese dish, topped with nuts and popcorn and before the desert, we were given a small granata with ginger crumbs and anise star. The hot bread was fantastic. We had little white bread rolls with sesame seeds, treacle bread and foccacia with olives. Honestly, I could have just eaten that bread all night, dripping with melted butter.

There was a very good wine list. There were some expensive wines on the list but reasonable ones as well. We chose a lovely Torrontes/Chenin blend at £25 a bottle and had a helpful conversation with the sommelier about Argentinian wines. Overall, I thought the meal was very good value for money, given the quality of the food and the experience.

The only thing I would change is the fire in the bar. It is a gas fire with synthetic coal. If it had been a real fire, it would have added so much more to the ambiance of the place.

It was our first experience of Restaurant 23 and we will definitely return.

• Visited February 2014