“Wow! Fab Hotel in Lancaster!”
Review of The Ashton

The Ashton
Ranked #3 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wow! Fab Hotel in Lancaster!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Despite inviting myself to this wedding, the Bride and Groom graciously gave me a room on the night at The Ashton. What an absolute treat! James is a fantastic host and nothing was too much trouble for him. The room was more than fab, wonderful Boutique styling and the attention to detail was the finest I've experienced here in the UK. Cookies, sweets, hot chocolate and a bottle of water by the bed...boy was I thankful for that when I awoke at 4am with the hangover in full throttle!! Don't even mention the breakfast the next morning...wow wow..I'm a veggie but the grilled Halloumi cheese that accompanied the other lovely stuff, gave me the salty rush, you bacon eaters have enjoyed for years after a night on the tiles! If anybody is thinking about Lancaster as a destination stop off you simply have to stay here...I defy any other hotel to come up to this standard. Love you James. Give my love to Fairly, George and Gilbert too x

Room Tip: Any...they're all amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Karen,

Lovely to have the wedding party stay, it's always such an honour when people choose The Ashton to be part of their special occasions.

Glad you like the vegetarian breakfast, I'm not a huge fan of processed meat alternatives as they tend to be so salty & engineered, so I use halloumi instead. I've also added a spinach, mushroom & lancashire cheese omelette to the breakfast menu so the usually overlooked vegi's have as much choice as the carnivores.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review & hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Just spent a wonderful night at The Ashton. We were welcomed by James with his friendly and warm manner, immediately offered a glass of wine and taken to our room in the Attic. The room was contemporary and chic with enormous attention to detail. Breakfast was superb and plentiful. This place has style running through it from top to bottom. An absolute must, one night is just not enough.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lisa,

One night is just not enough, which is why we have a special offer for a 2 night stay, "more than a one night stand!"

Really pleased you enjoyed your brief visit & look forward to seeing you soon!

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Wonderful hosting by James who takes such trouble to ensure your stay is perfect. Excellent beds and top quality bedding together with luxurious bathrooms make it a pleasure to come home to The Ashton. James's breakfast is pure perfection and I defy anyone to leave the table having not found something delicious to eat. From a welcoming cup of tea and chocolate brownie to taking a reluctant leaving The Ashton deserves every accolade it gets.

Room Tip: The Grand Suite is simply magnificent with a huge King size bed and double waterfall shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Middleton4,

You must have been one of the first people to stay after I first perfected my brownie making.

They always used to be a disaster, dry on the outside & gooey brown sludge in the middle. If I ever needed brownies I used a really good local baker. But they closed so I had to invest time into getting better.

I've found the trick is to put the baking tray into an ice bath when they come out of the oven. Stops the cooking process so the outside edges don't dry out.

If you fancy making your own then I post winning recipes to my blog, there's a link from the website.

Warmest regards,

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

James is a superb host, warm and welcoming - we arrived in the dark, cold and wet and within minutes had a hot drink and gorgeous home made cake. The bedroom was elegant and spotlessly clean, the bathroom luxurious with REN toiletries. Every possible attention to detail and comfort. Superb breakfast. What a perfect place. We are so glad we found the Ashton.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Just spent two nights at The Ashton in Lancaster and wished we could have stayed longer.
The service was excellent, James the owner was welcoming and friendly. When we arrived we were greeted with home made cake, coffee and a nice glass of wine.
Every time we returned after being out there was fresh coffee and cakes waiting for us.
The room we stayed in was comfortable and warm, with a brilliant power shower!
We are lucky enough to have stayed in many lovely hotels both abroad and in this country.
We have stayed in The Balmoral in Edinburgh, Brown's in Mayfair and The Lowry in Manchester etc etc. Well, James you are up there with the big boys! Well done you! You have managed to get it just right.
Hopefully will return very soon. So have those fabulous cheese scones on the ready!
Thanks for everything.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My wife and I and our 3 month old boy stayed here for one night on our way back from Scotland and loved it. We were welcomed by our host James with a cup of coffee and a slice of caramel blondie which was delicious (and I don't normally like cake!) When we asked about local restaurants James tried to make a booking for us but as most were full, he offered to make us dinner instead. We are glad they were full because dinner turned out to be the best chicken pie I have ever eaten. The quality of the food again came through at breakfast - a wide selection available and it was all delicious. The surrounds and the town of Lancaster itself are nothing spectacular (the Ashton is quite close to the M6) but once inside the rooms are warm and welcoming and very well decorated. The shower also deserves a mention, it was brilliant. Great selection of DVDs too. All in all this beats staying at most hotels hands down, and at a much better price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

That was our introduction to The Ashton!
James is a great host and with The Ashton he has a 5 Star gem that does not meet, it exceeds all your expectations!
When we walked in the door, James warmly greeted us and asked if we would like a hot drink or a glass of wine and a blondie to go with it. A great start and the level didn't drop till we left the next day.
We stayed in the Attic Room and would heartily recommend it - size, decor and layout are all second to none.
Don't plan any big meals after one of James' breakfast - they're big, tasty and full of top quality ingredients (including home-made bread and eggs from the "girls")
Nothing is too much effort - we got directions to our next port of call, a slice (or two) of banana loaf to take with us and James even helped with our bags when we left.
If you're anywhere in the vicinity then do yourself a favour and stay here - you won't regret it.
One night wasn't enough - we will be back

Room Tip: The Attic Room is excellent - but I don't think you'll be disappointed whatever room you cho...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple