“I wanted to stay here forever.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ashton

The Ashton
Ranked #1 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“I wanted to stay here forever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is like no other B&B. It's beautiful everywhere you look. Your needs are met before you know you have them, Breakfast is gourmet. When I return to Lancaster, I will make sure I can stay here. We started with wine and scones and ended with eggs florentine.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sbearrows
ElvisBailey, Owner at The Ashton, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
I love this review......."beautiful everywhere you look" & "needs met before you even know you have them."

It's what I aim for & I'm really pleased you loved your stay here.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We travel quite a bit and like to stay in independent Guest Houses and B and B's, this is certainly one of the very best. Everything is to a very high standard from the welcome with a glass of wine to the tasteful room decor, the lovely huge bathroom with a beautiful dressing table, to the great choice at breakfast. We have stayed here twice , both times arriving after a long drive from the North of Scotland and both times have decided to sample that night's cooking from James. This time it was a chicken chowder with a platter of cheese and fish- so tasty and such high quality! We stayed in the attic room both times which is large and luxurious and as others have said the house is so lovely that I am sure every room has something to recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Carol,

Lovely to have you stay again. Glad you liked the chicken chowder, it's one of my favourites at the moment. Just to let TA readers know we are a B&B not a hotel. The difference being that we don't have a restaurant. However if you did want to eat in & you're happy to eat what I'm making for my family, just let me know the day before & I'll have something for you. What it is depends on the weather, what's in season & how much time I have on the day. If for any reason I can't cook then I can always put together a platter of local fish, meats & cheeses for you.

Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at The Ashton in January. This was my first trip to Lancaster and I was there for a conference. It snowed in London and all the way to Lancaster (I took the train) and then suddenly I was at The Ashton in bright sunshine. Set in beautiful English country, the Ashton is a charming B and B which perfectly combines a quaint, old English exterior with a modern and comfortable interior. My room was comfortable with a pretty view of the garden. James was a good host - very helpful yet unobtrusive. Breakfast was a treat - delicious and leisurely. The Ashton is a little way from the centre of town but taxis are easily available and James helped get me one each time. I hope I get to go back to The Ashton.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mandya,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review & point out that actually the weather up North is actually sometimes better!

As you say we are a little out of town. Part way between Lancaster University & Lancaster City Centre. Taxi's are plentiful & quick. Town's just under a mile and £4 by taxi. The University is 2.5 miles & £6. On a nice day you can walk into Lancaster & it's a lovely stroll through the Park getting the beautiful view over the City, Castle & countryside.

Do hope to see you on your next visit.

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

From a friendly welcome at the door to the beautiful décor and amazing room, well you don't get any better than this. A refreshing pimms on arrival to the little things that make such a difference, beautiful furniture in the rooms, candles and oils in the bathroom, now doubt great water pressure for the enormous bath which all makes this place great to relax and unwind especially after 4 hours of driving. I decided to stay in for dinner and James prepared and great evening meal which all felt like I'd visited a friend for dinner. Breakfast was how it should be, great home cooked food, lovely muesli, great coffee, fresh fruit and the lovely French toast. You have a truly wonderful place which I can't wait to revisit. Thank you James and Elvis for the stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jason,

Thanks for my glowing review. Glad we ticked all the boxes.

Driving across the country & working away from home can be so stressful. So I think the business traveller deserves a little bit of luxury. I used to be away from home all the time & when that stopped I put together all the things I'd wished I'd find into The Ashton. Comfy beds, great bathroom, home cooked food & a relaxed but attentive service. Most business travellers don't book B&B's but after staying here they don't go back to the chains.

Be lovely to have you stay again.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Perfection. And that very simply sums up our experience of the Ashton Hotel after 3 visits over the past two years.
This is a beautifully upgraded stone house in a wonderful garden setting that is located next to the excellent Williamson Park where the Ashton Memorial is and 20 min walk or 5 min drive from the centre of Lancaster. You are greeted by the hospitable owner, James, and offered tea with either scones with cream and jam or cake as you relax in the wonderful drawing room. This is just the taster for the wonderful rooms, which are stylish, immaculate, tastefully furnished and extremely comfortable. You can then unpack and unwind in your room with either more tea/coffee or help yourself to a glass of port that is available there, free, if the fancy takes you. The rooms are all really quiet and the bathrooms are exemplary with first class shower facilities and beautiful Ren toiletries. One room we stayed in even had a period claw-foot bath. James is also a brilliant cook and you can request an evening meal if you are happy to have what he is cooking that evening. We have done this on each occasion and really enjoyed the wonderful food and wine in an excellent dining room, while being able simply to go back to your room afterwards is an added bonus. Your treat has not finished there though, for after a good night’s sleep you are then treated to what is simply the best breakfast that I have ever eaten anywhere. A large Welsh dresser groans under the weight of every imaginable cereal, home-made mueslis and granolas, fresh fruit, quality fruit juices, home baked bread, cold meats and cheeses. Totally awesome. However, you can also choose to have a cooked breakfast with an imaginative variety of possibilities on offer in addition to the traditional Lancashire one. It is the one place in which I have stayed in where it is a genuine pleasure to pay the bill and the experience either lives up to or exceeds expectations based upon memories of your last visit. A place to be treasured and an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
ElvisBailey, Owner at The Ashton, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Wow, what a brilliant review. There's really not much I can add except, thanks & it's always been a delight to have you both stay.

Look forward to the next time.

chippysmate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

This place is my type of place !! I am very difficult to please and will always find fault, but I can not find any faults with Ashton House, it is wonderful.
From the moment we arrived until we checked out, James was a great host, together with his cat Elvis, dog Bailey and geese !! fantastic, James is truly a great guy, who works hard with a natural flare to keep his guests happy,
Breakfast is a great experience room is divine

It is easy to see why Ashton House has so many awards very well deserved, I just wish other hotel and B&B owners would all have the same standards and approach as James.

Room Tip: Stay for more than one night, otherwise you will wish you had !