“alex polizzi was so right!”
Review of The Ashton

The Ashton
Ranked #1 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“alex polizzi was so right!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

After a very long hot day in the office, drove into the drive and James was waiting with a cold glass of Pimms ...service you don't get from big hotels! Fabulous home cooked healthy dinner on both nights with delicious wine. Bespoke hotel with lovely comfy bed and a bathroom to die for...with lovely zen products. Breakfast was yum and James kindly served breakfast early as I had to get to the office early...shhh keep this place a secret...it's fabulous and I will be returning soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 July 2013

With four middle aged women traveling all day and cramped in a car, who knew this gem would surface. James and The Afton was a first class b&b that is hard to match. First class service, outstanding, responsibly grown food, and yummy exquisite bath and shower products that never say all-in-one! From heated bathroom floors and towel racks to soft and comfy linens on the beds, this experience was one of a kind treat. It's a bit on the expensive side, but you get all what you would expect and more. The only tricky bit was finding it on the long winding road. Don't get hooked into looking at the farm side, look on the woodsy side. His sign is large and attached to the rock wall bordering his property. What an oasis!

Room Tip: All four rooms heavenly, though not much room for families with small children or babies.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear KD,

So pleased my little oasis ticked all the boxes for you all. The lovely products are by REN all their products are lovely but I just adore the Seaweed & Sage body wash we have here.

I buy locally as often as I can & always the best from bacon to bedding & all the little things in-between, it's not the cheapest way to run a business but I think it all adds up to a priceless experience for my guests.

Do hope you had just as lovely a time on the rest of your visit.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We drove up here after a 4 hour drive from London and in town to visit the University of Lancaster. James greeted us with proper English cake and wine-- absolutely delicious. Although we only stayed 1 night, we wished we could have stayed longer. Breakfast was faultless, we gorged ourselves on Eggs Benedict and traditional English Breakfast with local ham and cheese as well as homemade bread on the side. James gave us several recommendations and even printed out a detailed map for a pretty town to visit in the area. Next time we come back to Lancaster we will definitely be staying with James. A real treat! PS. The showers are THE BEST EVER.

Room Tip: All Rooms are excellent
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Travelcat,

Thanks for letting everyone know how much you enjoyed your whistle stop trip to The Ashton.

Glorious weather here today so everyone's being greeted with Pimms & a slice of victoria sponge a properly English welcome!

Do hope to see you on your next visit. Next time try Room 4 not just one but two brilliant showers!

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This is like no other B&B. It's beautiful everywhere you look. Your needs are met before you know you have them, Breakfast is gourmet. When I return to Lancaster, I will make sure I can stay here. We started with wine and scones and ended with eggs florentine.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sbearrows
ElvisBailey, Owner at The Ashton, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
I love this review......."beautiful everywhere you look" & "needs met before you even know you have them."

It's what I aim for & I'm really pleased you loved your stay here.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We travel quite a bit and like to stay in independent Guest Houses and B and B's, this is certainly one of the very best. Everything is to a very high standard from the welcome with a glass of wine to the tasteful room decor, the lovely huge bathroom with a beautiful dressing table, to the great choice at breakfast. We have stayed here twice , both times arriving after a long drive from the North of Scotland and both times have decided to sample that night's cooking from James. This time it was a chicken chowder with a platter of cheese and fish- so tasty and such high quality! We stayed in the attic room both times which is large and luxurious and as others have said the house is so lovely that I am sure every room has something to recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Carol,

Lovely to have you stay again. Glad you liked the chicken chowder, it's one of my favourites at the moment. Just to let TA readers know we are a B&B not a hotel. The difference being that we don't have a restaurant. However if you did want to eat in & you're happy to eat what I'm making for my family, just let me know the day before & I'll have something for you. What it is depends on the weather, what's in season & how much time I have on the day. If for any reason I can't cook then I can always put together a platter of local fish, meats & cheeses for you.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at The Ashton in January. This was my first trip to Lancaster and I was there for a conference. It snowed in London and all the way to Lancaster (I took the train) and then suddenly I was at The Ashton in bright sunshine. Set in beautiful English country, the Ashton is a charming B and B which perfectly combines a quaint, old English exterior with a modern and comfortable interior. My room was comfortable with a pretty view of the garden. James was a good host - very helpful yet unobtrusive. Breakfast was a treat - delicious and leisurely. The Ashton is a little way from the centre of town but taxis are easily available and James helped get me one each time. I hope I get to go back to The Ashton.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mandya,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review & point out that actually the weather up North is actually sometimes better!

As you say we are a little out of town. Part way between Lancaster University & Lancaster City Centre. Taxi's are plentiful & quick. Town's just under a mile and £4 by taxi. The University is 2.5 miles & £6. On a nice day you can walk into Lancaster & it's a lovely stroll through the Park getting the beautiful view over the City, Castle & countryside.

Do hope to see you on your next visit.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 26 June 2013

From a friendly welcome at the door to the beautiful décor and amazing room, well you don't get any better than this. A refreshing pimms on arrival to the little things that make such a difference, beautiful furniture in the rooms, candles and oils in the bathroom, now doubt great water pressure for the enormous bath which all makes this place great to relax and unwind especially after 4 hours of driving. I decided to stay in for dinner and James prepared and great evening meal which all felt like I'd visited a friend for dinner. Breakfast was how it should be, great home cooked food, lovely muesli, great coffee, fresh fruit and the lovely French toast. You have a truly wonderful place which I can't wait to revisit. Thank you James and Elvis for the stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jason,

Thanks for my glowing review. Glad we ticked all the boxes.

Driving across the country & working away from home can be so stressful. So I think the business traveller deserves a little bit of luxury. I used to be away from home all the time & when that stopped I put together all the things I'd wished I'd find into The Ashton. Comfy beds, great bathroom, home cooked food & a relaxed but attentive service. Most business travellers don't book B&B's but after staying here they don't go back to the chains.

Be lovely to have you stay again.