“Truly a gem, THE place to stay in Lancaster!”
Review of The Ashton

The Ashton
Ranked #2 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Nottingham, UK
“Truly a gem, THE place to stay in Lancaster!”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Having just returned from a stunning B&B in Antwerp I just remembered that I had not left a review from our Christmas trip to another stunning B&B, The Ashton in Lancaster. We were extremely impressed by The Ashton and the warm welcome by James and his family - he was very accommodating of our early arrival on Christmas Day to drop off bags at the Ashton prior to us joining family for Christmas lunch elsewhere in Lancaster and his offer of a bucks fizz with warm mince pies was very welcome after our early morning drive from Nottingham.

The Ashton is truly a gem in Lancaster and we really cannot imagine staying anywhere else on our visits to this city. We stayed in a classic room which was very comfortable with lovely views of the garden and the "girls" (the chickens) from the two windows and had a gorgeous shower room. The breakfast was simply amazing with individually cooked main course from a great choice and a superb buffet spread too. Thanks to our experiences here and our talks with James I now own my very own breadmaker which we regularly use, so thank you James!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 May 2010

From the moment we arrived late on Friday evening, we were so well looked after. The room was extremely comfortable and the double shower was fab!. The food was freshly prepared and beautifully presented. I cannot recommend The Ashton highly enough.
It's the perfect place for a relaxing weekend.

Margaret, Glasgow

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My wife and I have stayed at The Ashton twice now, and will definitely be returning. The welcome from James and Craig is warm, the rooms are stunning, and the food is fantastic. We look forward to many more visits in the future.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 10 April 2010

My boyfriend was nervous about surprising me with night away for my 30th birthday as I stay in hotels alot with work but I have never stayed anywhere as special as 'The Ashton'. Beautiful decor throughout so breathtaking I wanted to move in! Lovely scenery, gorgeous food (even homemade bread) and James and Craig looked after every detail. The amount of attention that has gone into ensuring everyone has a great experience here is exceptional. It was the perfect hideaway and we can't wait to go back in December. Thank you! Simon & Rebecca

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Stayed for one night but could have easily stayed for a whole week! Stunning rooms, very chilled out atmosphere. My husband and I felt so relaxed for the short time we were there. Breakfast was amazing, we can't wait to return to the Ashton. Many thanks to James & Co for a wonderful stay. Claire & Antony.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
James-theashton, Owner at The Ashton, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Dear Claire & Antony,
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us & thank you for taking the time to write a review. Hopefully next time we see you it'll be for 2 nights, then you'll feel you've had 2 weeks away!
You might be interested to know about our new Sunday Supper Club. Stay Sundays and a bottle of wine & supper is included in the room rate. Perfect for when you need a quick break.
James
Stockport
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We stayed at The Ashton for my husbands birthday. I had ordered a picnic so that we were free to get on with our day at a local parachute centre. James made me feel very welcome when I arrived at the hotel and even carried our hamper to the car!! I can only describe the picnic as a feast of exquisite tastes. Nothing was spared... a proper wicker hamper basket with all the refineries I have only seen in films. The accommodation is outstanding, the decor stylish beyond belief. The room was very comfortable with attention to detail, the little bag with sweets/ real milk in a cool jug/ proper coffee with a decanter and a range of different teas. I cannot speak more highly of the hotel and could recommend without a doubt that you would not be disappointed. The breakfast was cooked to perfection and the service impeccable. I can only say I look forward to returning!

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
James-theashton, Owner at The Ashton, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Dear Charlotte, Thank you for leaving such a lovely review. Glad we helped make Tony's 40th a memorable occasion. Just wonder what he's got planned for yours? Shark diving maybe? James
Durham, England
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The hotel has a pleasant location within a short distance of the city centre. The car park is spacious and easily negotiated. On arrival we received a warm welcome from James (the owner) who assisted with luggage. Within minutes tea and toasted teacakes were served and a friendly chat with James soon made us feel relaxed. The room was spotlessly clean, well appointed and graced with tasteful decor. Into the shower, which worked like a dream - none of the fiddling with mysterious controls! On to more drinks and chocolate biscuits in the room. During the night it was deliciously dark and quiet, leading to a good night's sleep. Morning arrived, with newspaper of choice, and on to a fine breakfast with a good choice of quality ingredients. On leaving met Bailey the dog - high spirited and very playful. During our short stay James was the perfect host, being friendly and attentive but never intrusive. If you are staying in Lancaster, try The Ashton, I do not think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple