“Not Sure If We Would Visit Again”
Review of The Ship Caton

The Ship Caton
Ranked #28 of 243 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Ship Country Pub & Dining,Caton has recently undergone a refurbishment and is now under the ownership of Bowland Village Inns. Purveyors of fine cask ales, we now offer a range of 6 ales daily including Thwaites Original, Wainwright. Homemade food is served all day, everyday until 9pm.
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Not Sure If We Would Visit Again”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited The Ship on Saturday 3 May. The interior was nice and we were shown to a table quickly. Drinks were extremely expensive we paid £8.30 for a J20 and two Pepsi. Service was quick (I think this was due to the fact that the table we were given had been reserved from 8pm) obviously we needed to leave before then. We arrived at 6pm. My son was not offered any childrens menu (not sure if there was one) so he had to have a full meal which was so big he couldn't finish it. Black pudding starter was nice although the poached egg was stone cold on the top. My 10oz ribeye steak which I ordered medium rare was overdone and very chewy and the steak was very fatty, the rack of ribs although being enormous was not very edible as the bone was rather bitty within the rib so it was hard to get the meat off. Half of this was left. All in all I felt that the meal and drinks were very expensive and that the food was presented nicely with chips in mini fryer baskets and sauces in little pans but the standard of food was not up to the presentation.

• Visited May 2014
TheShipCaton, Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hi Caroline O,

It sorry to here that you had a bad visit here at the ship, we pride ourselves on good service and good food, but on this service we have slipped up, our tariff for drinks is similar and in line with other local establishments.
We do offer a children's menu here at the ship, just ask next time and we will get you one.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Dire”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I had a meal at the ship last october and was very impressed at the quality and service and the happy atmosphere surrounding it.

On my return the Ship felt like an out of fashion pub that is struggling to tread water, the food was satisfactory although over priced, service was slow for a tuesday night and the atmosphere was dull. It felt as though the ship had lost its captain.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Damianwwhite
TheShipCaton, Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hi Damianwwhite,

Thank you taking the time to write a comment about us here at the ship. We pride ourselves on high standards and service here at the ship, so I am saddened by your comments.
I hope you will give us 1 more try and you can see just how high our standards are.

lancashire
“birthday meal with family”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Heard good things about the ship at caton so went for my birthday with the family ,great surroundings , well presented pub , the food was superb I can honestly say the 16 oz sirloin steak was the best I have ever eaten and I have had a few over the years ,great night with my family and the real ale was good to

Visited April 2014
TheShipCaton, Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hi LancashireSkids,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review on us here at the ship. We are glad you thought the 16oz Sirloin Steak was the best you have ever eaten, and that you had a great night with us.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon

(Real Ales will still be on)

Bolton, United Kingdom
“will not be going back”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We arrived at The Ship full of promise, the car park looked busy which we took as a good sign but it just goes to show that looks can be very deceiving. Firstly when you walk from the car park to the entrance there is a speed ramp that it is easy to miss and stumble on as an elderly gentleman did before us, this should be addressed. When we walked into The Ship, the first thing that hits you is the smell of reheated plastic and cheap gravy granules, not exactly the aroma of home cooked food that's for certain. After we had eventually been served at the bar, there was no warm and friendly greeting, far from it and on top of that having 2 soft drinks for £ 7.10 is certainly no bargain. There is no atmosphere here at all and we decided to leave, not stay for lunch and not even finish our over priced drinks. Needless to say, we will not be visiting again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Melanie K
TheShipCaton, Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hi Melanie K

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the speed bump on the car park and we will review this.

However, I am puzzled by your comments relating to the smell of reheated plastic and cheap gravy granules; especially as we pride ourselves on fresh food so I have no explanation to give! Perhaps you could give me more detail via email - keith.poppleton@bvinns.co.uk

Finally, we always attempt greet our customers with a friendly welcome, and our tariff for 2 pints of Lemonade/Pepsi or Diet Pepsi is similar and in line with other local establishments.
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Food for thought”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited this pub last night 28/04/2014 not been since it changed hands and I must say I was very impressed the food was excellent and the staff were very helpfully it's half price steak night on Mondays and I must tell you they didn't skimp on the steak like some do would highly recommend this pub keep up the good work..

• Visited April 2014
TheShipCaton, Manager at The Ship Caton, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hi Andrew L

Thank you for taking he time to write such a nice review on us, we are glad you were impressed with our food, our steak nights are becoming more and more popular here at the ship, so we hope to see you again soon

(don't forget to book)