“Do not eat in this Resturant, it's over...”
Review of Bistro 26 - CLOSED

Bistro 26
Price range: US$20 - US$82
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Mark Cavanagh aims at Bistro26 to make his guests feel welcome and experience great seasonal food. The kitchen specialises in modern British cuisine using locally sourced produce wherever possible along with homemade desserts, ice creams and breads. The menus are supplemented by daily changing seasonal specials including Bowland fillet, Scotforth lamb, Morecambe Bay shrimps and Trough of Bowland game. Bistro26 is situated in the heart of the historic city of Lancaster and can be discovered close to the Sun Inn, along the Sun Street.If it is a quiet romantic table for two, a business dinner or a celebration meal, Bistro26 will be delighted to welcome you.
“Do not eat in this Resturant, it's over...”
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Do not eat in this Resturant, it's over priced, the so called chef hides when customers complain and the food is pompus rubbish that pretends to be upper class eatery! How far from the truth that is! We went late on a Saturday night (8pm ish) and there was about 10 persons eating, I wonder why? Obviously people do like to use this Resturant because they may belive it's upper class and it impresses when talked about, could not be further from the truth. Anyway rant over, would never use or advise anyone to waste their money!!!

2 Thank Bobout

lancaster
“Best restaurant in Lancaster for fresh local food”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Excellant restaurant with a welcoming atmosphere. Excellant menu with seasonal local produce made fresh to order . A wide variety of choice to suit everybody from fish dishes to meat dishes with different accompliments for each dish, everything is made by the chef sauces to desserts. Would recommend to anyone.

Preston
“No special offers when you get there”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

The food was good and locally sourced but the service needs a little work. It states in the menu and on their website that you receive either a large glass of wine if you are a lone diner or a free bottle of wine or £8 towards wine for a couple when you order 2 courses - We went to celebrate a birthday and 6 of us had 2 courses - we were told the offer wasn't on anymore - We pointed out that it's on the website and actually still in the menu they gave us on arrival and were told it's not on - after consultation with the chef they said they'd work out the best deal for us - Their best deal was £8 off the whole bill! The offer is still on their website and this is mis-leading - honour the offer or take it off your website and menu. We would have eaten here anyway but the offer was just that little bit extra.

1 Thank curlyPreston
Lancaster
“Wonderful, without question the best meal in Lancaster”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

I have been to this restaurant many many times and have yet to be disappointed. I am now pleased after unsuccesfully trying to find it on trip advisor for some time that it has been added and I can give it the raving review it so deserves.

Everything is fresh made by the very talented chef and only the best quality local ingredients are used - even in these difficult financial times when many places are tempted to cut on quality to maximise profits. Yet despite this the food is still reasonably priced for what you are getting. averaging £5/£6 for starters or desserts and £15-£20 for mains. Often find vouchers in local choice magazine and they are curently hi life members meaning we got our 3 course meal at half price :)

On the most recent occasion of dining with them I forget now what my husband ate and as it was about a month ago (as I said, wasn't listed on trip advisor when first wanted to review) i struggle to remember what I had - we did both come away feeling it was the best three course meal we had eaten in a very long time. I had a stuffed mushroom dish with salad for starter, a chicken dish (believe it was chicken breast wrapped in seasoned ham with flavoured potatoes of some kind and a lovely sauce. all served with freash seasonal vegetables. We decided to stuff ourselves and have a desert - well worth doing at this place - the first time we came we had the best cheesecake in the world ever! On this occasion Paul had cheescake again, I was persuaded to try the traditional bread and butter pudding with marmalade ice-cream.
Unfortunately the chef came out moments later apologising to me for his staff members profuse recommendation of the marmalade ice cream as they had none left - he then listed for us a whole array of home made icecreams (I went for the lemon curd, delicious!) the list included basil icecream! well, we both looked bemused about this one, so he admitted it sounded strange but tasted wonderful and offered to let us try a scoop - separate from my bread and butter pud I hasten to add. It was unusual and I probably wouldn't down a tub like I would my faveourite ben and jerry's flavour, but it was certainly very nice.

Bistro 26 is only small, and has the feel of dining in someones front room, its a delightful venue and feels like it was made just for you. dining becomes an experience taking an evening to linger over food talking with a partner or with friends. We first came with friends who also love it as much as we do - and have been back for birthdays and special events and have treated several other friends out to this suprise little gem. When its quiet we will talk with the chef who you can see preparing your food, and no matter how busy it always has a lovely atmosphere.
I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a special evening out.
We will be back I can promise you.

1 Thank JoHendy