“Lovely relaxing stay”

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We'd booked an Easter camping trip but I also booked a night here before heading for the Lakes as it was my birthday & I didn't fancy roughing it!
So glad I did, it's a lovely hotel, really handy for Lancaster town centre (by car). We had a suite which had a separate sleeping area & TV for our 13yr old son. For a bit of privacy you could close the dividing doors.
The huge luxurious bathroom was so beautiful I've decided to base our new bathroom at home on the same design but on a smaller scale!
There was a wedding when we arrived and it was a bit tricky finding the reception area & getting around because of the volume of people but a lovely porter showed us another route to reach our room & assisted with luggage once we'd checked in.
Breakfast was probably the best I've had in a hotel ever - well worth forgetting my weightwatchers diet for the day!
For dinner we went to the Sultan restaurant in the centre of Lancaster as my husband likes indian food - they don't serve alcohol and don't have any music so bit of an unusual atmosphere, but food & service is good. The restaurant at the hotel did look good and we'd have dined there if our son hadn't been with us.
Leisure facilities were fabulous, really spacious sauna, lovely pool but best of all the outdoor hot-tub. My son spotted some wild rabbits running around in the grounds whilst we were in it. We've stayed at another hotel in this group, the Low Wood nr. Ambleside before and also loved the outdoor hot-tub there.
The hotel is absolutely spotless and there was always a memeber of staff cleaning and tidying. Our TV didn't work but within minutes of reporting this, a replacement was brought to the room & set up.
We really enjoyed ourselves & wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Many thanks indeed for your positive review.

I will of course share your feedback with the whole team here at Lancaster House. I'm glad you had the opportunity to really enjoy your stay and were able to use our lovely spa facilities and leisure club. The outdoor hot tub is a "must" at anytime of the year

If you are ever planning a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will ensure you have another enjoyable stay

Tim Bell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 14 April 2011

woken at 1:30am by banging on doors then 2 women in the corridor screaming at each other in a foreign language. This went for some time, and they then went into the room opposite mine (room 75) but I could still hear them screaming at each other. So I called the reception to complain. A member of the hotel staff did knock on the door but I didn't hear if they were asked to be quiet. Shortly after, the arguements and screaming started up again followed by one women going in and out and more door banging and shouting. I looked out to see someone walking away around 2:30.

Unacceptable for the hotel not have taken action. I didn't sleep after this.

Also I have the feeling that these women were members of staff as a room maid I saw the following day looked very like the womean I'd seen at 2:30am.

So my views of the hotel coloured by this terrible night.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Seachild

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House.

Your disturbed night was down to a couple of inconsiderate guests and, as you can imagine, there is simply no way of foreseeing in advance what their behaviour would have been like. And I can also categorically assure you that these guests were not members of my team as you may have thought. My night team and duty manager did take action by communicating directly to the guests, and we also have considerable signage at the entrance to the hotel corridors respectfully asking that guests keep noise levels to a minimum at night. I am sure you will understand, we have limited reasonable and legal powers when it comes to matter such as these. We are hoteliers after all, not trained security door staff.

My industry peers and colleagues will all agree. Situations like these arise in all hotels, and public buildings, regardless of location or star rating and in my opinion are not a reflection of the hotel quality, but merely a symptom of the inconsideration of a thankfully small portion of public society who chose to selfishly disturb the peace.

I'm also sorry for the TA community that you chose to base your review not on the hotels products and services, but on a couple of guests who, I can assure you, will no longer be welcome at Lancaster House.

Once again, I am sorry that you had a disturbed night, but in hindsight I am sure you will agree that it was not the hotel's fault on this occasion and that the vast majority of our reviews indicate that we can offer a great level of service, and more importantly, a good nights sleep at Lancaster House.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 26 March 2011

What a great hotel. Friendly, well trained, happy staff especially in the Leisure Centre.Stayed in a Studio Suite which was lovely with some nice touches such as ground coffee and really enjoyed the food in particular the breakfast.
What makes a hotel are the staff and these were among the best I've ever encountered- well done.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Many thanks indeed for your glowing review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House. I will of course share your comments with the whole team here.

Whilst it's good to hear feedback about the physical aspects of the hotel, it always makes me proud when I learn that it's the team that have made the difference to someone's stay. For me, they ARE the difference and we work hard to create a culture of friendliness and informality which the guests can truly relax and enjoy, and at the same time make it a great place to work.

Thank you once again for the positive feedback and if you are ever planning another visit to the area, please do not hesitate to contact me

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Just returned from a weekend at Lancaster House booked through Groupon.
The whole weekend was excellent, a lovely large clean bedroom with ensuite, a relaxing Spa experience and an enjoyable evening meal. The breakfast this morning was first class - compliments to the breakfast chef. All the staff were polite and nothing was too much effort for them. Thank you for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 March 2011

This is an excellent hotel. Nice atmosphere. All the staff were very attentive. Swimming pool and gym facilties were excellent. Restaurant quite expensive good choice on menu but helpings could be larger. Will return.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2011

Reviewed 6 March 2011

We returned to Lancaster House after a first stay some six months ago to mark a family celebration. This time my wife and I stayed in Silverdale room is very nicely appointed with a spaceous bedroom/sitting room and fab bathroom, while our teenage daughters had a comfortable twin room close by. We all enjoyed the food in the Sandeman's Bar -staff very welcoming and attentive and egg mayo 'doorstep' sandwiches to die for! Sitting in front of the fire enjoying a relaxing drink is just fantastic after arrival. Our evening meal in The Foodworks was an excellent way for marking our family celebration. Thanks to Sam and her team for pampering 'my girls' in the spa.

We went into Lancaster which is only 5 minutes away by car and enjoyed the bustle of this historic market town, with street market, shops and the castle itself which is worth a look around the court rooms.

Many thanks once again to Tim and all the team for their welcome and hospitality - looking forward to our next excuse for a weekend get away!

Regards,

The Reids (Wirral)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Many thanks indeed for your very positive and comprehensive review following your recent return stay with us at Lancaster House. I know the TA community really do appreciate un-biased, well-balanced and detailed reviews so that it helps them make a sound decision about future travel plans.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your second stay with us, and I will of course share your feedback again with the whole team here. The recently renovated Silverdale certainly does have the "Wow" factor doesn't it?

I'm also delighted when reviewers take the time to give their feedback on our historic little city. Lancaster really is on the way up on the national map, and deservedly so. The castle has so much rich history, as does the whole city.

Once again, many thanks again for the second review. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally once you have another "excuse" to visit to Lancaster and I will ensure you have another comfortable stay.

Reviewed 5 March 2011

We went to Lancaster House at the recommendation of the organizer of a local business event. The rooms we were given were spacious, clean and comfortable. The mistake was to choose the hotel restaurant for our business dinner. The staff there seemed new on the job and unfriendly at times. Our starters arrived after the main course and 50 minutes after we ordered them and still we were offered no apology. For main course I had the lamb cutlets, which were in a quite small portion.
The staff taking orders for breakfast is faster and friendlier than the evening restaurant, though the buffet is not quality enough for what the hotel claims to be.
Also the disabled toilet at the entrance was dirty and blocked all morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank donnerstag

Whilst it was pleasing to hear that you found our rooms and breakfast offering to your satisfaction, I'm very sorry that, unlike the vast majority of our guests and TA reviewers, you didn't enjoy your dining experience with us and we failed to meet your expectations.

I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usual standard as the vast majority of our feedback and online reviews will testify. However I will look in to the shortfalls you pointed out, although I can assure you that we have had no negative feedback since your stay, so one can only presume that this was an isolated incident. We have also addressed the other point you mentioned in your review.

I am a realist Hotelier, and I know we cannot meet the individual needs, wants and expectations of every single one of our guests, although it is our aim to do so. But should you ever consider Lancaster House again for a visit, please do contact me personally and I hope I can prove to you that we can deliver a consistently excellent product and service to our guests in the Foodworks Restaurant.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
2 mi away
3 mi away
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#6 of 6 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!