“Good job this was a groupon deal”
Review of Lancaster House

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Leeds
“Good job this was a groupon deal”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Wouldn't let us check in earlier as they were full. Arrived 3.00pm wanted to go to leisure club to relax. Was told it was kids playtime in pool 3.30 - 5.00pm. Hotel full of wedding guests and all reception rooms full,
Being a couple, grandparents, we wanted a break from kids.
Changing room in leisure club very cramped, floor filthy, full of hairs and dirt. Jacuzzi not working properly, no back jets and quite chilly.
Gym machinery very close together so it could never be full and have all machines busy.
Staff seemed very lax. Hotel bedroom clean spacious, bed good and large, this was the best bit!
Breakfast, because of the wedding, was very full and staff struggling to keep up with the food, queues. Not everything that was stated on breakfast menu was there. We were put in an annex to eat which was very cramped.
Bar prices very expensive. £7.95 for soup and a sandwich. Drove down the road and got a great meal and personal service at Boot and Shoe pub for less than half the hotel prices.
We are very widely travelled, and thank goodness we got this as a groupon deal as i would not have paid £100.00 each per night.
They allow pets, but no where to take it for a do do. No dog run or space to take walk.
Right next to the university. No good walking from hotel , must have car.
Visit again......... no dont think so !

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that unlike the vast majority of our online reviews and feedback we receive, you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am a realist hotelier and I know that we cannot meet the individual needs and expectations of all our customers. I would also like to apologise for the genuine service shortfalls you experienced. Rest assured, I will act upon your feedback.

For the purpose of the TA community, I would like to add though that as a popular hotel, gained through reputation, we are inevitably going to be busy at certain times and we believe that the hosting of weddings and events, which most like-for-like hotels will do during weekends throughout Spring and Summer, does not detract from the overall hotel experience. And as with most hotels, we do of course welcome families with children, and in my opinion there are ample grounds in which to take pets for a walk, which is an opinion shared by most guests who bring their dogs here.

I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and I thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Reviewed 15 May 2011

My friend and I stayed at this hotel using a Groupon deal. We were disappointed in the dated room and asked to change. However, were informed that Groupon had used their luxury rooms to advertise the offer and ours was a 'classic'. Although the room was very dated and not what you would expect from a 4 star, the rest of the hotel and facilities certainly warranted this grade. Would recommend if it was a discount deal but wouldn't pay full price!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Weejo35

As mentioned in some of previous responses to bedrooms, we are undergoing a rolling refurbishment programme of our classic rooms and many have already been completed, and I am sure that on a future visit you will be very happy with the modernisation programme of these rooms.

As you correctly pointed out, the "Groupon" offer did advertise an image of a Luxury Studio Suite, and this was done without our approval and consent, and Groupon admitted this was misleading to their customer base. Groupon have apologised for this error.

I do hope you would consider another visit to Lancaster House in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you are planning a return stay

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We recently stayed at the hotel as a guest at a wedding. The room that was allocated to us was very clean, the bed was very comfortable. The tea and coffee making facilities were excellent. Although we did not use it there was also an iron and ironing board in the room which can be very helpful. There are amply toiletries and towels in the bathroom. The leisure facilities are very good and the outside hot tub very pleasant on a sunny afternoon.
The breakfast menu was extensive, the food was of a high standard and delicious. We did not have a meal on the night as we attended the wedding meal which was also superb. The general décor of the hotel is tasteful and of a high clean standard.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Lancaster for a leisure visit or business trip.
The only two constructive things I could about our room :-
(No. 62) was that the window did not open and the night we stayed it was rather warm and it would have been pleasant if we could of had fresh air.
The bathroom tiles behind the door have not been finished off correctly.
These two thing are by no means complaints or spoilt our stay in any way. But if I've noticed them I'm sure other guest might and if it is not mentioned how can it be rectified.
Finally it leaves me only to say that the staff were very professional and caring especially working well under pressure as the hotel was extremely busy on the weekend we stayed.
Well done to All concerned at the Lancaster House Hotel. With very best wishes.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DianeNDrew
Many thanks for taking the time to post your positive review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House.

I was delighted to learn that overall, you enjoyed your stay whilst attending the wedding. I will of course share your praise, especially your kind words about the team, with all my colleagues here.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another stay at some point in the future, and please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you are planning another visit

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms and central areas were clean and comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and helped add to the good value of the hotel.

The room we stayed in was very dated and not at all a reflection of the ones shown in all of the pictures. This was disappointing, as we were expecting a much more modern and fresh room. The room was warm and the beds were very comfortable.

The water in the rooms and communal toilets was very hot! Likewise, the temperature in the hot tub and jucuzzis made them a tad too hot to sit in for any length of time, with most people preferring to sit on the side.

The only real 'let down' to the weekend was that the changing room floor was filthy - it had not been cleaned by the next morning either. Also, I paid for a 25 minute massage but was left laying on the bed for a good five minutes before my massage started, having been instructed by the therapist to get undressed and then lay on the bed and 'have a few minutes relaxing'. This would have been fine if it had not been included in the time I should have been getting the treatment I was actually paying for and hoping for.

• Stayed May 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House.

I was delighted to learn that overall, you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. However, I will be addressing the minor points you raised in your review with the relevant heads of department to ensure to ensure we do not have a repeat of a similar fall in standard.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Going to a Cat Show in Preston we found it difficult to get a hotel which would allow us to take our cats. The Lancaster House Hotel actually welcomed our two cats and the housekeeper, Terri, was just wonderful with her help. We found it a very friendly establishment and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Using the swimming pool was a pleasant experience.

We had our meal on both evenings in the bar. The food arrived very quickly and was hot and appetising. The only problem we found was that the portions were too large.

Our room was clean and well appointed and when we asked for a fridge for the cats' food one appeared within minutes.

When we attend the Preston and Blackpool Cat Show next year we will certainly book in to this hotel. The previous year we stayed in a large four star hotel in Blackpool and we had a dreadful experience with a drity room and staff going into the room when our cats were there and when we complained our complaint was ignored so this year we vored with our feet and gave the Blackpool Hotel a wide berth.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Many thanks indeed for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us here at Lancaster House. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you and your cats, were made to feel very welcome. We're huge animal lovers here at English Lakes and we especially love making a fuss of our four-legged friends.

We would of course be delighted to welcome you back next year, so please do not hesitate to contact me personally when you have a date in mind and I will ensure you have another comfortable stay.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences and feedback with the TA community.

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We'd booked an Easter camping trip but I also booked a night here before heading for the Lakes as it was my birthday & I didn't fancy roughing it!
So glad I did, it's a lovely hotel, really handy for Lancaster town centre (by car). We had a suite which had a separate sleeping area & TV for our 13yr old son. For a bit of privacy you could close the dividing doors.
The huge luxurious bathroom was so beautiful I've decided to base our new bathroom at home on the same design but on a smaller scale!
There was a wedding when we arrived and it was a bit tricky finding the reception area & getting around because of the volume of people but a lovely porter showed us another route to reach our room & assisted with luggage once we'd checked in.
Breakfast was probably the best I've had in a hotel ever - well worth forgetting my weightwatchers diet for the day!
For dinner we went to the Sultan restaurant in the centre of Lancaster as my husband likes indian food - they don't serve alcohol and don't have any music so bit of an unusual atmosphere, but food & service is good. The restaurant at the hotel did look good and we'd have dined there if our son hadn't been with us.
Leisure facilities were fabulous, really spacious sauna, lovely pool but best of all the outdoor hot-tub. My son spotted some wild rabbits running around in the grounds whilst we were in it. We've stayed at another hotel in this group, the Low Wood nr. Ambleside before and also loved the outdoor hot-tub there.
The hotel is absolutely spotless and there was always a memeber of staff cleaning and tidying. Our TV didn't work but within minutes of reporting this, a replacement was brought to the room & set up.
We really enjoyed ourselves & wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
Many thanks indeed for your positive review.

I will of course share your feedback with the whole team here at Lancaster House. I'm glad you had the opportunity to really enjoy your stay and were able to use our lovely spa facilities and leisure club. The outdoor hot tub is a "must" at anytime of the year

If you are ever planning a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will ensure you have another enjoyable stay

London
Reviewed 14 April 2011

woken at 1:30am by banging on doors then 2 women in the corridor screaming at each other in a foreign language. This went for some time, and they then went into the room opposite mine (room 75) but I could still hear them screaming at each other. So I called the reception to complain. A member of the hotel staff did knock on the door but I didn't hear if they were asked to be quiet. Shortly after, the arguements and screaming started up again followed by one women going in and out and more door banging and shouting. I looked out to see someone walking away around 2:30.

Unacceptable for the hotel not have taken action. I didn't sleep after this.

Also I have the feeling that these women were members of staff as a room maid I saw the following day looked very like the womean I'd seen at 2:30am.

So my views of the hotel coloured by this terrible night.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Seachild
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House.

Your disturbed night was down to a couple of inconsiderate guests and, as you can imagine, there is simply no way of foreseeing in advance what their behaviour would have been like. And I can also categorically assure you that these guests were not members of my team as you may have thought. My night team and duty manager did take action by communicating directly to the guests, and we also have considerable signage at the entrance to the hotel corridors respectfully asking that guests keep noise levels to a minimum at night. I am sure you will understand, we have limited reasonable and legal powers when it comes to matter such as these. We are hoteliers after all, not trained security door staff.

My industry peers and colleagues will all agree. Situations like these arise in all hotels, and public buildings, regardless of location or star rating and in my opinion are not a reflection of the hotel quality, but merely a symptom of the inconsideration of a thankfully small portion of public society who chose to selfishly disturb the peace.

I'm also sorry for the TA community that you chose to base your review not on the hotels products and services, but on a couple of guests who, I can assure you, will no longer be welcome at Lancaster House.

Once again, I am sorry that you had a disturbed night, but in hindsight I am sure you will agree that it was not the hotel's fault on this occasion and that the vast majority of our reviews indicate that we can offer a great level of service, and more importantly, a good nights sleep at Lancaster House.

Yours sincerely

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
Premier Inn Lancaster Hotel
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!