“Great place to stay”

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed their a few days as we had a fire in our home and it was a really nice place to say. Staff were extremely helpful. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: February 2011
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Many thanks indeed for your very positive reivew. I'm sorry about the circumstances in which you had to visit us, but I'm glad that we were able to make a difficult time more comfortable for you. Please do come and stay with us again, and I'm hoping, obviously for more "enjoyable" reasons.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed 6 June 2011

This hotel couldn't be any nicer, when we went there it was cold, raining & miserable the drive to the hotel was a little out of the way and I was feeling a bit worried at what it was going to be like, I need not of worried, the warm welcome we got was great, the rooms were nicely decorated and adequate for our requirements, the pool was great and the staff very friendly, the restaurant was nice and the other bar was comfortable too, we had our evening meal there and the only fault I could find was a lack of choice on the menu. The choice on the breakfast is another matter, we could have everything and anything and as much as we liked, we will certainly go back again, they do some great offers online, check them out.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank littlewadie

Many thanks indeed for your glowing review. I was delighted you enjoyed your stay, especially on such a cold, rainy day. We do like to keep the inside of the hotel nice and toasty I'm sure you will agree.

I will of course share your feedback with the whole team who welcome all the feedback we receive here, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you are ever planning another visit to the area and I'll assure you another warm welcome

Reviewed 31 May 2011

My partner and I stayed in the Lancaster House Hotel on Friday 27th May for two nights DB&B at a total cost of £368. This was a special treat for my girlfriend as we were celebrating our first year together.

The booking process was smooth and efficient and Ami Cullen in Central Reservations did an excellent job.That said, I think that English Lakes should revamp their website as it lacks the variety of pictures and degree of detail which so many of their competitors provide online. As a result, I found myself having to send Ami a rather lengthy e-mail asking questions about things which I should have been able to find out using the company's website.

The hotel is well signposted and there is adequate car parking in the grounds of the hotel. itself. The reception area is nice, if in need of a little modernisation. Like at least one other reviewer, I noted that whenever I visited reception, staff were never visable although there is a bell to call them from the reception area's back office. Check-in was straighforward and the staff member was friendly and efficient.

We stayed in room 107 which is a suite and I have to say that it was very nice. The bed was large and comfortable and the pillows were fantastic. The flat screen tv was great and could be viewed from the large bath for two. The bath itself requires the sealant to be repaired if it is to remain in a satisfactory condition. The underfloor heating in the bathroom was brilliant and the shower was hot and relatively powerful, although I was expecting a more hi-tech shower in a suite. The complementary toiletries were also a nice touch.

Within the room were tea and coffee making facilities as well as an iron and ironing board. There was also an ice bucket which could be filled using the ice machine at the end of the corridor where there is also a cool water dispenser. Sleep quality on both nights was excellent with no apparent noise from outside or from within the hotel.

The Food Works restaurant looks good and we reserved a table for dinner on both nights. Unfortunately, the standard of service and quality of food was not consistent on each of our visits. On night one, the service was friendly and efficient and the food tasty. I opted for the haggis and black pudding parfait with brioche which tasted good. That said, two small slices of brioche is nowhere near enough for the larger parfait. My partner chose the pork belly which was a good size but did not come with crackling on top as the waitress had said it did.

For mains, I chose the venison which was overcooked. I was not asked how I wanted it cooked but now wish I had specified. That said, it was still tasty and the portion size was good. My partner opted for the corn fed chicken which she loved. For dessert, my partner chose the cheese plate which was very poor value for money - I paid less at the Fairmont in St. Andrew's for a lot more. I chose the pear tart which was fine. All in all, a good 3 course meal but hotel or not, the prices are over-inflated and had I not paid for the inclusive rate, I would have travelled further afield for dinner.

On the second night (our anniversary) we were delighted to find a card and a confetti covered table - well done and thank you Ami. Unfortunately, the night did not go well however. Having booked a table for 8.30pm, the restaurant wasn't busy but after waiting for 15 minutes, I had to request that our order be taken. Unfortunately, the pork belly was near half the size of the previous night's portion and I did not receive the two extra slices of brioche I had requested (based on my experience the previous night). Ryan, the restaurant manager dealt with these issues very professionally and with sincerity.

Having finished our mains, we then waited a further 15 minutes for our plates to be cleared and when we finally received them, my pork was overcooked and not 'pink' as stated in the menu. I was very disappointed by this and despite Ryan offering to have the dish replaced, I had lost my appetite. To cut a long story short, I had £30 credited to my card which was a fair result overall.

Breakfast in the hotel was good but not worth the £14 I would have paid had this not been included in my rate. The food was standard fayre and the hotel ran out of white bread for toast on Monday morning. We were taken to a table on both mornings without having to wait around and tea for two was served promptly. The balck pudding was rather hard however, having sat for too long under the heat of the hot plate.

One of the main reasons I chose this hotel was due to the leisure facilities. The pool was a good size and lockers and towels are free to guests. The indoor jacuzzi is too hot to sit in for any length of time and the outdoor jacuzzi's temperature needs to be increased. That said, we loved relaxing in the outdoor tub on a sunny afternoon. The sauna and steam room were also really good but please please please sort out the filthy changing areas...this has been highlighted in at least one other review. The floors need mopped and the paper cups lying around both jacuzzis is unacceptable, especially when I observed staff standing around doing not very much at times.

The bar area within the hotel is a nice place to chill out but lacks atmosphere. The bar staff are very friendly and efficient and the fish and chips was really nice, but again, overpriced.

I think I have covered most of the positives and areas for improvement and I do hope that Tim, the General Manager, will address the points raised and maintain the positive aspects of the hotel. Overall, I doubt you will be disappointed if you choose a suite within Lancaster House (I can't comment on the other rooms), the hotel has a lot going for it but just needs tweaked in some areas.

Room Tip: Go for a Suite if you'd like a treat!
2  Thank Globetrotter1984_10
TimBell, Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post your very comprehensive review of Lancaster House following your recent stay with us. I know the TA community always appreciate plenty of detail and facts rather than just vague, unsubstantiated and emotionally-led opinions that you can often find on review sites.

On the whole, I was delighted to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay, however I will of course look in to the shortcomings you regretfully experienced. We're not perfect, we are human after all, however it is what the hotel team is prepared to do about any potential shortfalls that sets a hotel apart from the rest in my opinion and I was pleased to hear my team did everything they could to try and rectify any problems.

Experiences are a very personal thing, and every individual customer will of course have their own particular preferences to a service or product. What can delight most customers, will still never meet the expectations of every single guest, however it is our aim to try and meet, and if possible exceed their expectations.

If you are ever planning another visit to the area, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will be delighted to try and prove to you that the small matters you raised have been addressed.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

Good food and Excellent choice of real Ales.
Friendly staff realy helpfull and well manered.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tomferg
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Many thanks for your positive review. I will of course share your feedback with the whole team here at Lancaster House.

If you are ever planning another visit to the area, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will ensure you have another enjoyable stay

Tim Bell

Reviewed 25 May 2011

Ny husband and I stayed at the Lancaster House Hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were given an up-graded room which was fabulous. The service in the bar and in the restaurant in the evening was wonderful and the standard of food was second to none. Our stay was made very special by having chocolates, wine and balloons in our room, a lovely surprise. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, it was terrific.

1  Thank KirstBrad44

Many thanks indeed for your glowing review following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted that we were able to make your anniversary stay special, we always enjoy going the extra mile for our guests when we know there's a special occasion to celebrate.

Please do not hesiate to contact me personnaly if you are ever planning another return visit to the area and I will ensure you have another wonderful stay

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Stayed here for 1 night with 'Groupon'. all staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was excellent. It was our anniversary so we got given a free upgrade to a luxury suite which was amazing. We had our room decorated with banners and balloons and really enjoyed the outside hot tub. We would like to thank Kath in the restaurant, Suzanne in housekeeping and Becca and kirstie on reception, such credits to your company. Will defonitly return.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Newcastle27

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post such a wonderful review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House.

As with all feedback we receive, I have shared your comments with the whole team and Kath, Suzanne, Becca and Kirsty were particularly delighted that they were mentioned in your TA report. I have always believed that it is the team, not the hotel that makes the real difference to a guest's experience and I am delighted we delivered a memorable anniversary stay for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you are ever planning another visit to the area.

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Wouldn't let us check in earlier as they were full. Arrived 3.00pm wanted to go to leisure club to relax. Was told it was kids playtime in pool 3.30 - 5.00pm. Hotel full of wedding guests and all reception rooms full,
Being a couple, grandparents, we wanted a break from kids.
Changing room in leisure club very cramped, floor filthy, full of hairs and dirt. Jacuzzi not working properly, no back jets and quite chilly.
Gym machinery very close together so it could never be full and have all machines busy.
Staff seemed very lax. Hotel bedroom clean spacious, bed good and large, this was the best bit!
Breakfast, because of the wedding, was very full and staff struggling to keep up with the food, queues. Not everything that was stated on breakfast menu was there. We were put in an annex to eat which was very cramped.
Bar prices very expensive. £7.95 for soup and a sandwich. Drove down the road and got a great meal and personal service at Boot and Shoe pub for less than half the hotel prices.
We are very widely travelled, and thank goodness we got this as a groupon deal as i would not have paid £100.00 each per night.
They allow pets, but no where to take it for a do do. No dog run or space to take walk.
Right next to the university. No good walking from hotel , must have car.
Visit again......... no dont think so !

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that unlike the vast majority of our online reviews and feedback we receive, you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am a realist hotelier and I know that we cannot meet the individual needs and expectations of all our customers. I would also like to apologise for the genuine service shortfalls you experienced. Rest assured, I will act upon your feedback.

For the purpose of the TA community, I would like to add though that as a popular hotel, gained through reputation, we are inevitably going to be busy at certain times and we believe that the hosting of weddings and events, which most like-for-like hotels will do during weekends throughout Spring and Summer, does not detract from the overall hotel experience. And as with most hotels, we do of course welcome families with children, and in my opinion there are ample grounds in which to take pets for a walk, which is an opinion shared by most guests who bring their dogs here.

I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and I thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback

Tim Bell, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
2 mi away
3 mi away
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#6 of 6 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!