“Nice country hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Nice country hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had a "Classic Double Room" on the first floor with a view of the university campus. As expected, the space was a bit limited, but the room size was satisfactory. The mattress in the bed was pretty comfortable and guaranteed a good nights sleep. The hotel provides free wireless internet access, but the signal was frequently absent, because the room was obviously too far away from the reception where the router was situated.

There is no elevator in the hotel and it is quite difficult to carry your suitcases up the stairs. If you have a problem with this, you should ask for a room on the ground floor.

The breakfast is very good and offers everything a guest could wish for.

The restaurant ("The Foodworks") located in the hotel complex is highly recommended and the bar has a nice atmosphere and a good range of food and drinks.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Johnny19039
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was glad to learn that, overall you enjoyed your stay.

I note your comments about the wi-fi, and I am pleased to report that we have extended our coverage further with investment into more, high powerful routers, so that the signal should be much stronger for our future guests.

I do hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Prestatyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a lovely hotel (the design reminds me of Charles Rennie Mackintosh), close to Lancaster University (we were visiting our daughter there). Comfortable bedroom with TV (plenty of channels) tea and coffee making facilities, trouser press, iron and ironing board. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was excellent. It represented better value for money than many of the international chains.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PrestatynNick
Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us.

It was gratifying to learn that you enjoyed your visit, and I hope you found our location convenient for visiting your daughter at the nearby University.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regads

Lake District
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I recently attended my partners regimental social evening event, held Saturday night before Remembrance Sunday. Their veteran regiment had struggled to find a nice venue that could offer a private room, without feeling isolated, and at a reasonable (good) price for their small but committed group. The Lancaster House imprressed! Even though they obviosuly had a conference group in too, plus residents, we had a lovely evening. The Hotpot supper was fab! compliments to the chef please, the meat just fell apart. They had laid the room out with thought and we had our own very attentive waiter, who looked after us all evening. It made for a lovely, friendly atmosphere and we really enjoyed the evening. Drinks are expensive, but hotel prices. It did not spoil the evening. Thumbs up!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Helvellyn2009
Many thanks indeed for your kind review following your recent Regimental Social Evening with us.

I was delighted to learn that the evening was a success and you found the quality of the food and service to your satisfaction.

I will of course share your praise with the team here who always enjoy reading the feedback we receive.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back again very soon.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We recently spent two nights here for bed and breakfast and enjoyed our stay. Very comfortable room which was warm and spacious. Also really clean. The breakfast was good with a varied selection and plenty of it. Staff were helpful and friendly. The only problem we had that there was a dog in the next room which did bark a bit . Otherwise a nice stay.

Room Tip: We had room 8 on the ground floor which suited us well. It was warm and clean
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank archjay
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was glad to learn that, overall you enjoyed your visit. I'm sorry that one of our four-legged guests was a little louder than we would ideally like. I'm sure on another future visit you will be able to enjoy a more peaceful stay.

scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Booked this hotel through Superbreaks whilst trying to organise a catch up with friends. Booked 4 rooms and received great service from arrival to departure. This is a modern hotel with plenty of Lancashire character. Great facilities and enjoyed sitting in the outdoor hot tub on a beautiful November morning. We had a lovely lunch in Sandemans lounge and bar area followed by dinner in the restaurant. Rooms were clean and adequate. Pool and spa facilities good and nice touch of television in changing area. Staff all very chatty and Full of Lancashire hospitality. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scozziemythbuster
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with your friends.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit and appreciated the legendary Lancashire hospitality. We're very proud it and I know the vast majority of our guests appreciate it too

I do hope we can welcome you all back again soon

Westport, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I have stayed twice before in the luxury suite but recently stayed in the classic room. Unfortunately classic to this hotel is sub standard, tatty and dirty.

No hotel should have two standards particularly where one is so poor. This is a two star hotel.

The management are rude and will state that it is a classic room. Attitude like this should not be tolerated.

Due to the incredibly poor standards we moved rooms and had the room rate reduced to that of a two star hotel.

Do not stay in this hotel but if you do then do not pay the price they quote.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mrhutchins
Thank you for taking the time to post your account of your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would just like to clarify that following the discussion that you had with myself, I am saddened that you have chosen to write this particular review. On your previous stays you had specifically booked and paid for a Luxury Studio Suite, whereas on this occasion you had booked one of our "Classic Rooms", which are priced considerably less. You believed that the room allocated to you should have been the same as your previous stays i.e. a Luxury Suite, but you had in fact booked a different room type on this occasion. Our official website clearly states the differences between the two afore-mentioned room types, and the confirmation you received will also have clearly outlined that you had booked a Classic Room.

I stated in our discussion that had I got a Luxury Studio Suite to offer you, as a valued previous guest I would have gladly moved you into one. But as this was one of the busiest weekends of the year, and I simply did not have one to offer you.

Our Classic rooms, of which make up 80% of our bedroom types are well received by the vast majority of our guests and I am sorry that they didn't meet your expectations.

I am also sorry that you didn't make reference in this review to the gestures of goodwill, including the complementary dinner we gave you as one of our valued previous guests. A full refund was also offered should you have cancelled your plans.

May I also add that when rare situations such as this occur, I believe I am always courteous and considerate to all of our guests, without exception. Qualities which I am also saddened that you didn't extend to me or my Duty Manger on the same evening.

Once again, I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations

Regards

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I decided to book a last minute night away and after checking out Tripadvisor, chose this hotel......and we were not disappointed. We had a lovely warm welcome at reception, where we booked a table for dinner in the restaurant (fantastic menu & wine list and very reasonably priced too). Our room (room 8) was lovely and warm (v cold outside) and overlooked a courtyard/gardens, very quiet at night. We hit the gym (bring your gym and swimming things, well worth a visit) for an hour so we could indulge in the fabulous food and wine. The service we received was excellent and would thoroughly recommend you stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the great review following your recent stay.

I am always delighted to learn when TA users will book a hotel based upon its reviews.

I am also glad you got to enjoy the full hotel experience, and especially enjoyed dinner.

Good tip for the TA community about remembering to bring your costume! So many people unfortunately forget, but it's always a good excuse to come back in the future.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!