“Lovely relaxing night”

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Our first evening at lancaster house was uncomfortable as we were situated next to a boiler room and were kept awake, I brought this to the attention of the staff who were extremely helpful, they offered us a second stay at a fraction if the cost.
Our second night was a different story, we ate in the hotel bar (the lamb Henry was delicious), the room was very comfotlrtable and we slept like babies. Thank you for a very pleasent stay.

• Stayed: November 2013
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you so much for the review.

I was delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, albeit after a room move. Normally the hotel heating system doesn't cause any problems for our guests and I have asked that our maintenance team looks into this to address this issue straight away.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon

Tim Bell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have reason to visit the Lancaster area every couple of months and usually stay at another English Lakes Group hotel, the Midland which after a rocky start, revived under the manager,Matt Stanway and the chef he recruited, to be an 'oasis' of comfort and good food in Morecambe. As it was the depths of winter we decided to forget the coast and stay at the sister hotel in Lancaster but our logic proved to be flawed.

We arrived in a storm and tiles were being blown off the hotel roof to be smashed on the ground..... was this a portent of our stay.... sadly yes!! We were greeted well at reception and shown to our room. We had upgraded to a suite and this comprised a lateral sitting room, outside the bedroom and a very large bathroom with stand alone bath and walk in shower. All very nice and comfortable but this was to prove the high point of our stay, as we were soon to find that the Lancaster House is really a wedding, come conference style hotel that clearly survives on this and also being the convenient 'watering hole' for visiting academics of the adjacent Lancaster University. It certainly does not survive on being a four star residential hotel which provides good service and good fare to its one off guests.

We had booked dinner in the restaurant for both nights (although we were soon to cancel the second night) and went down to the bar for pre dinner drinks. I asked the barman for a Tanqueray and tonic ... blank look........a Tanqueray gin and tonic ....... silence ........ I politely pointed to the right bottle amongst the row of gin bottles ........ I got my drink. We moved to sit by the delightful wood fire in front of the reception area and should have seen the tell tale signs. Several university regulars were booking taxis to take them to restaurants in Lancaster, whilst several people were having the bar food but the restaurant was empty. We made our way there and it is a huge rectangular room, with a breakfast bar down the longest wall and is divided by canvas strips with the word 'Foodworks' emblazoned on them and has bare wood tables and no tablecloths ....very easy for the hotel but helping create the ambience of a works canteen.

Throughout the evening there turned out to be three couples using the restaurant and we were looked after by two young, ultra friendly waiters, who had the disarming ability to disappear from the floor for five or ten minutes on end. No worry we were in no hurry and the menu looked good, although the wine list was far poorer than that at the Midland. There was only one decent Old World red on the list, a 2010 Chateauneuf des Papes and we ordered this. When it came it was immediately poured out without being given the opportunity to taste it and the waiter then asked if we would like the cork as a souvenir .... the wine wasn't that good!

For starters I struck lucky as I had the 'cold' dish of ham terrine and it was very good. My wife had the scallops with cauliflower puree and black pudding and we couldn't tell if it was supposed to be cold or hot. The plate was cold, the puree was cold and the rest was tepid .....not a waiter in sight and clearly nobody in charge of the restaurant to complain to. Still there was the trio of local game to come ....partridge, pigeon and pheasant. What a disappointment.....overcooked, rubbery and like the plates....cold. No waiter about and after we had made the best of it we decided against dessert and left to go to our room. Ten minutes later a knock at the door and the now reappeared waiter asking if we could sign the bill! We politely signed and had already decided to cancel dinner the next night and have our main meal at lunchtime in Lancaster.

However dinner was a triumph compared to breakfast. This was buffet style and was served from 7am until 9-30am. We got down just after 9-00am and inspected mushrooms swimming in half an inch of fat, a formed skin over the baked beans, sausages that must have stood there for two hours and a number of congealed eggs. The plates were cold and the waitress explained they must have forgotten to put the warmer on and then gave the beans a good stir for us. I ordered boiled eggs and very good they were. Incidentally the next day we had to leave early and were at breakfast when it first opened and my wife ventured to have sausages and tomato. The plate warmer was still not on and the sausage was totally tepid. The plate was removed without comment and to cap the whole performance I ordered kippers, as the Midland do a great whole kipper as part of their normal breakfast. At the Lancaster House there was a supplement but what the heck it was better than having the buffet..... then it came ..... it was boil in the bag kipper fillets ...... for a supplement! So my breakfast of a pot of tea and boil in the bag kippers cost me a supplement to the £12 + rate I had already paid.

It was time to go thankfully and I went to pay and for the first time in our entire stay we were asked by the receptionist how things had been. Even the General Manager, who we had talked to by the fireside on the second evening did not bother to ask us about our stay and we took the 'hint' from his level of interest by reciprocating this attitude. Being fair he was a charming guy with good rapport and we enjoyed his conversation but he does need to look at some of the hotel basics like the standard of service and the hotel dining room. In future it will be the Midland at Morecambe where we find a far higher standard and far less complacency.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StAlbansWilbo

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your individual expectations in a number of areas during your stay.

I will of course address the genuine service failures that you appear to have experienced.

As the vast majority of our tripadvisor and feedback will testify, our hotel and our Foodworks restaurant which you have criticised heavily usually receives great reviews, and I am sure the TA community will form their own balanced opinion of the business. The night in question was quiet in the Foodworks, but as I explained to you during our conversation, this was the Christmas Party season and over 90% of our guests were dining in private function suites, resulting in a much more quieter weekend night than usual in our restaurant.

For the genuine service shortfalls, I sincerely apologise. However I am disappointed that you have chosen to somewhat exaggerate and stretch some truths in your review, particularly as I had spent some time talking with yourself and your wife on the Friday night, of which my introduction was a question ascertaining if you were enjoying your stay. You were using your tablet device at the time. And I would always politely ask guests to bring the shortfalls of any service experience to our attention during a stay as more often than not, we can address any issues there and then. There is, after all, nothing we or any hotelier can do once a guest has checked out to improve their stay.

I would like to point out for the TA community that as an English Lakes Hotel, we all share our local food and drink suppliers, therefore the wine and Kippers which didn't meet your expectations at Lancaster House would have been exactly the same as the Midland Hotel. I will of course look into this to ascertain if and why there may have been a difference on this occasion.

I am a realist hotelier, and I know that Lancaster House, like any business in the hospitality sector, regardless of its star rating or reputation, cannot meet the individual needs, wants and expectations of 100% of our guests, although it is our intention to do so.

Once again, I am sorry we didn't meet your individual expectations.

Regards

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed in a suite, which we have previously, and they are luxurious and spacious and well worth the extra money. The breakfast is either buffet or you can order different off the menu. Dinner was absolutely fabulous. Not just the food but because it was our wedding anniversary, there was "wedding anniversary" glitter on the table with a "happy anniversary"card from staff. We had a lovely surprise of a free champagne glass of prosecco with a strawberry. Fabulous!!
Staff are so helpful and welcoming. Cant wait to go again.

Room Tip: The suites are well worth the money.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the glowing review following your recent anniversary stay with us.

I was delighted to learn we were able to make this special occasion so memorable for you.

I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

A great hotel for a relaxing break. The outside hot tub in the spa is a real treat.
Rooms are clean, tidy and spacious. The food in both the bar area and in the 'The Food Works' restaurant was fabulous. Have stayed here on many occasions and will definately be back. A big thank you to John, who as always looked after us brilliantly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so very much for the great review.

I was delighted that you had a relaxing break.

I will of course share your comments with the team, especially our John who is such a great ambassador for customer service.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here in august for my birthday and 1st trip away with my boyfriend when we arrived the reception was lovely and cosy the fire wasn't on but I could imagine in the winter its beautiful, we stayed for 2 nights but wished we had stayed longer the rooms were nice could be a bit more modern but still clean and tidy cute touch with the dog on the bed. The food was delicious that we ate in both nights with some nice wine the breakfast was also very lovely. All staff were very friendly. we went in to Windermere for the day but ended up back early as the weather wasn't very good but we soon warmed up when we got back, shame they couldn't fit us in the weekend but we will be back in the new year definitely.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BNLB

Thank you for the great review.

I was delighted you had an enjoyable time.

Do try and visit us during the "colder" months and experience that lovely fireplace when it's roaring. There's also lots of great deals on the English Lakes Hotels website for winter breaks, so do remeber to sign up for our special offers.

I hope to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Starting from clean and comfortable rooms, outdoor Jacuzzi, indoor swimming pool and great food and drinks all day long, you need nothing more for a relaxing weekend. All these for very affordable prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for the wonderful review.

It sounds like you had a really relaxing break.

I hope we can tempt you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Lancaster House is a great place to stay, the staff are lovely and the ambiance never disappoints. Great location too.
If you feel the cold you'll love this hotel, I however found the rooms too warm and stuffy. Would still use it again though.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the positive review.

I was delighted to learn that, overall you enjoyed your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
3 mi away
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#6 of 6 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!