“Lovely Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here in May 2014 with a group of friends . The room was beautifully clean as was the lovely bathroom. The bed was super Kingsize and very comfortable. A small flat screen TV on the wall which could have been a bit higher up. The grounds are beautiful with a beautiful fountain with the pond full of massive KOI carp. The evening meal was one of the best hotel meals i have ever had Cod stuffed with crab and salmon. I would have rated this hotel 5 stars except for the bar prices £5.45 for a glass of wine! The breakfast was excellent a help yourself buffet of a full English. Overall this is a beautiful hotel and thoroughly recommended

Room Tip: I think most of the rooms are the same ,The hotel is set in it's own grounds so very quiet and p...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you so much for the glowing review following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your experience, especially the food.

You may be interested to know that we are installing some new TV's later this summer with state-of-the-art technology as part of our constant improvement programme. On a future visit, I am sure you will appreciate the difference.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed here overnight en route to Scotland and were very impressed with the quality of the room and service. We had our dog with us and expect ed a lower grade room but were pleased that our pooch was treated with the same care and attention from the staff as we humans! She was even given her own bowl with biscuit s in the room. Nothing was too much trouble and we receive d an exceptionally friendly and welcoming service. The fish and chips for evening meal were the best I've tasted and breakfast equally tasty and well prepared with plenty of choice. Definitely Going back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PennyT59
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

It was wonderful to learn that you all had a great time, and that the "pooch" was also made to feel very welcome.

And thanks for pointing out our great Fish & Chips too! Our fish is fresh every day, and the batter made only with with award-winning local beers. We're very proud of this "national institution" of a dish, and we think it should be celebrated with quality and flair! It takes a hungry person to finish the whole plate too we find! Did you manage it?

When you're next en-route to Scotland, please do pop in again. If not for the night, at least for some great fish & chips!

Thanks again for your glowing review.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Having stayed at several other hotels in the same group I was expecting quality and certainly wasn't disappointed. The personal attention was really noticeable and the staff went out of their way to make it a perfect stopover. From a brief conversation at check-in about breakfast at another of the group's hotels word got to the kitchen of a particular mushroom I liked and although my choice of breakfast wasn't on the menu it was ready for me in minutes. Likewise when I requested extra coffee sachets a fresh supply of coffee, milk and sugar arrived at my room almost before I got back up there myself!

The food was superb and possibly the best pork tenderloin I've ever tasted - and even better that the much heralded steak at the Wild Boar (another of the group's hotels).

Room Tip: Rooms at the front get a great sunset and in room 114 you can open the windows beyond the safety cat...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the great review following your recent stay with us, and indeed our sister hotels in English Lakes. It was nice to meet you briefly (I ran-up with the extra coffee)

I hope the Chestnut Mushroom and Bacon sandwich went down a treat next morning. We have to thank you for letting us know about your particular preferences. The more our customers tell us, the more we can tailor make what we do for you.

And many thanks for the wonderful complement about the Pork Dish. I had a soft spot for that meal too.

I hope we can welcome you back again the near future.

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My daughter and her boyfriend got married at the Lancaster House hotel last weekend and we had a brilliant time. The staff at the hotel couldn't have been more helpful. The pool, indoor jacuzzi and outdoor jacuzzi were an added bonus as was the weather. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a wedding venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane882013
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words following your daughter's wedding with us last weekend.

I am delighted we helped make the day really special. I was there too on the day and may I say how much of a pleasure it was to host you all. I do so enjoy looking after weddings and of course, it's always a bonus when the sun shines.

We wish your daughter and new son-in-law a lifetime of happiness and we hope to welcome you all back again very soon.

North West Britain
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I stayed for 1 night prior to returning home after a brief trip to collect a new puppy. Having been upgraded to a junior suite as part of the charming and efficient check-in process we continued to be impressed by Lancaster House. The room was spotless, well- furnished and enjoyed a well equipped bathroom. The separate TVs in lounge and bedroom was a neat touch. The large bed was splendidly comfortable.

Dinner was delicious and served by a very youthful team of most courteous staff. When I was mistakenly brought cheesecake rather than cheeseboard as my dessert, this was corrected immediately with profuse apologies and charm. The same friendliness was demonstrated at breakfast when we were instantly offered a table (specially laid for us in the blink of an eye) in a location where we could keep our puppy with us. The dog-friendly credentials of Lancaster House are 5 star.

Even check out was a pleasure as our dinner and breakfast proved to be very reasonably priced and the same Lancashire warmth from a different receptionist was much in evidence...as was the bottle of biscuit-bone dog treats on the counter...a nice touch.

I recommend LH highly whether you be a dog fan or not...and as a final comment to the gardener at the hotel, 10/10 for your hanging baskets; they were superb.

Room Tip: The junior suite was extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Manannin
Thank you so much for the wonderful review following your recent 1-night stay with us.

I am so pleased we made your visit a memorable one and I do hope that the new four-legged member of your family is settling in well after his first mini-break.

I do hope we can welcome you all back again soon, perhaps for a longer stay and you can explore the area which offer some great walks for dogs.

My gratitude once again for the review, we hope to see you again here at "The House"

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner and I have recently returned from our stay at Lancaster house and we can honestly say that we wish we hadn't had to leave.
We stayed in a luxury suite and a luxury suite is exactly what we got, the king size bed is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and if I could have taken it home with me I would have in a heartbeat.
The staff at the hotel were polite and friendly, breakfast was absolutely delicious, the leisure facilities were lovely and clean.
All in all our stay was amazing and we are looking forward to returning as soon as possible.
The only quibble I had at the hotel was that when we arrived to our room there were dirty plates and glasses left outside the door from the previous visitors that had not been cleaned away (the room itself was clean however) which was a little disappointing but quickly overlooked upon entering the room which was beautiful.
Thank you so much Lancaster House for giving us such a perfect weekend.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank jayneenee
Thank you so much for the review and for sharing your pictures with us and the Tripadvisor community.

I'm glad that you had a great time, and you make particular mention about our beds. We get so many compliments about them, and many ask us on check-out where we get our beds and bedding from. So many hotels focus on the aesthetics of a bedroom, which, granted are important of course, but many also forget about the essential piece of furniture in the middle of the room. In our opinion, the primary purpose of any accommodation provider is to give their guests a comfortable sleep. So, we've invested heavily in our beds to ensure we can give our customers not just a good sleep, but a genuinely great sleep.

I'm sorry the room service tray hadn't been cleared by the time you checked-in. We do check the coridoors regularly and I will ensure the team keep a closer eye on this in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is our second visit to Lancaster house and again it did not disappoint. The staff are friendly and helpful even in the most busy of times. The pool is a fantastic addition with two children in tow. Sam's club activity packs made the kids feel special and included. Thanks Lancaster house for another welcoming and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: family rooms are huge and great but if you are looking to have a little privacy from the kids at nig...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks indeed for your kinds words following your recent family break with us.

I am delighted that everyone was kept well entertained and happy here at "The House". I am sure the children enjoyed the pool, especially if they managed to be there for our "Sam's Splash Times" which take place every weekend and during the kids holidays.

There's loads of great family-friendly attractions in the area, so hopefully we can tempt you back again very soon.

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!