“Not perfect but very good”
Review of Lancaster House

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I’m currently studying a post-graduate course that involves me being at University 5 weeks out of the year for a few years. After failing to get into the Lancaster House for my first week back in October I was able to get in for the last week I was at uni then again for the end of March.

First oddity is that on making a reservation for last months stay I was told that there was only availability for the first two nights so I booked these and then booked another hotel for the last 3. On checking in I thought it was worth asking if they had any availability and the lady on the desk was able to accommodate me surprisingly which was nice. This has happened before so bare in mind they might be able to do something for you on the day.

I must add that my employer picks up the bill for the hotel so it doesn’t come out of my pocket. I’d previously stayed din a suite which was very nice and had half expected the normal room to be of the same decorative standard if not as luxurious-it was not. The room was pretty dated but large enough and clean. The rooms have a small-ish LCD TV along with coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board everything I need for a home away form home.

The service was very good during my last stay. I’d taken my PS3 so I could get online in my room an although the TV had the necessary connection but wouldn’t work due to some of the settings being altered when they are spec’d for the hotel. I asked reception and they were very quick and helpful to try and resolve the problem which ultimately could not.

I ordered room service one lunch time and it took about 50 mins to arrive, I think the girl was busy and probably only got reminded when I rang down to investigate where it was, she was very apologetic and offered me a complimentary drink which I declined. The food did turn up cold though so I complained and this was deducted from my bill.

The gym and leisure facilities are very good, if anything the gym was a little too hot but had a good selection of equipment to get a decent work out.

The staff are very helpful and friendly and the hotel management and staff should be commended to this end. Breakfast is very good-too good I would say as it was hard to resist having a large breakfast every day when at home I usually only have a small breakfast. I ate in the food works one night having fillet steak which was excellent if arguably a little pricey (but I’m not paying so who cares).

I think next time I’ll request a renovated room if possible, at a student rate of £70 per night this is good value although I don’t know what the normal rate is I think £70 is a fair price in terms of what you get.

Overall I would hesitate in recommending the Lancaster House it is remarkably convenient for the university- it takes me aprox 5 mins to get to the class room, the leisure facilities are very good, and the staff are very friendly.

Slight negatives are dated rooms, and if I were visiting Lancaster for anything other than University I’d probably stay elsewhere as it’s not convenient for the city centre but I know parking is an issue there too (the city centre hotel). The hotel is also much more conveniently located for access off the motorway than city centre hotels-the traffic can be bad if you catch it at the wrong time.

I’d probably have given 5/5 if the room was a bit more updated.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

Thank you so much for the positive review.

I was glad to hear that overall you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I would particularly like to thank you for your very kind comments about the team here. They truly are committed to making everyone's stay comfortable. Every service provider makes mistakes every now and again, but it is what the team is prepared to do about it that sets them apart from the rest I'm sure you will agree.

You will be pleased to know that we are undergoing a rolling modernisation programme of our bedrooms here and I will of course be delighted to accommodate you in one of these rooms on your next visit. Perhaps if you would like to contact me personally, then I can arrange this for you.

Along with a large number already completed, we will be refurbishing another 30 bedrooms in 2010.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon

Tim Bell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed 2 March 2010

Stayed here for one night and was very impressed.

Room clean, if a bit dated, service excellent, buffet breakfast was excellent, bar nice and warm and relaxing. Not far from Jct 33 of the M6 and only a 5/10 minute drive from Lancaster City Centre, plus as the university is right behind the hotel there are frequent buses from campus in to the city and Morecambe/Heysham (plus buses along the A6 to Garstang and Preston), so if you don't have car it's easy enough to get around the local area.

My only criticism would be that the room has seen better days and perhaps a refurbishment is in order, especially if higher prices are charged, but it was clean and functional, so can't complain. Another criticism is that I ordered for a newspaper which was never delivered, but that's a mild annoyance and didn't get charged for it thankfully.

Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo

Thank you so much for the positive review

I was delighted to learn that overall, you enjoyed your recent stay with us

Your kind comments will, of course, be passed on to all the team here at Lancaster House who always welcome the feedback we receive.

You will be pleased to know that we are currently undergoing a rolling modernisation programme of our classic bedrooms here at Lancaster House and we are committed to doing another 30 bedrooms this year.

Thank you once again and please don't hesitate to contact me when you are planning your next visit to Lancaster and I will ensure that you have another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 15 February 2010

Having stayed at a few 4 star and 5 star hotels and even B&Bs in the UK I knew what to expect from the facilities at the Lancaster house hotel , and saw amazing pictures of the food court restaurant and foyer, so I booked it as it even had high reviews, for this valentine gone 14.02.2010, the entrance and facilities were what is expected, they were lovely, the double room I requested with a king size bed was horrific, the painted borders looked like they’d been done by a 5 year old, the netting on the curtains were falling off their window, and the king or double I requested was two single beds pushed together, at £147 a room that was discussing, it was outdated and mishmashes , I’ve stayed in travel lodges with nicer rooms, the bathroom was small, and the bath with the basic shower was 15mm in length not even the average size bath, I will be posting the pictures I took on the net and will write to every website I know about this, the service was horrific too, but I would have put up with that if only the room I’d prayed for was acceptable, breakfast was a basic full English Buffet , and service was bad, the tables were a mess, the staff couldn’t keep up with the cleaning up, there was orange juice on the floor , food, and when they came around with the coffee flask the metal paint on the flask was chipping off it, I couldn’t believe it, the worse place I’ve ever stayed in, I’m not even going to mention the changing rooms at swimming or the key band that they have and how outdated it was, it’s the same type they give at a local leisure centre, I was so heart broken and disappointed as it was my surprise for my partner, I was so disappointed

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Baroun
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

Thank you for your review and your constructive comments.

I do welcome all feedback from our guests and I appreciate that everyone of our customer's will have their own individual perception of our hotel and the services we provide. I am a realist hotelier, and I know we simply cannot meet the needs, wants and expectations of every single customer, although it is our aim to do so. After so much positive feedback from Valentine's weekend, I was surprised to learn that we had not met your expectations.

You raise a number of points in your review and rest assured I will investigate the ones that I deem as "genuine" service failures. Virtually every hotel on T.A will have both positive and negative feedback, but it is what the hotel is prepared to do about the latter type that will set it apart from the rest.

Our hotel and our team are highly praised in virtually all feedback we receive, as the majority of our tripadvisor reviews will highlight, and the testament to this is the sheer number of repeat customers we have here at Lancaster House. On this occasion however, we have clearly failed to meet your expectations and I apologise sincerely for the shortfalls you experienced.

I would like to say that upon the initial investigation in to your comments, the receptionist who spoke to you confirmed that you had no complaints on check out when asked as to the enjoyment of your stay.

So for your benefit and for all future guests, I would like to emphasise that if we can do anything to improve your stay when with us, please don’t keep it bottled up. We don’t pretend to be perfect, we are human after all. But we are truly committed to making everyone's stay enjoyable. So, if for some reason we haven’t met your expectations, let one of the team know straight away and we will always do our utmost to put it right for you, there and then.

As you may have read from some earlier reviews, we are currently undergoing a rolling refurbishment of our Classic Rooms, and I can only presume that you were allocated one that had not been updated to our current new specification.

Once again, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Tim Bell

Reviewed 15 February 2010

Spent a solitary,but much needed,night at the Lancaster and was extremely impressed.
The decor,once inside, is traditional enough with a welcoming log fire and very efficient reception staff.Indeed,amongst many pluses,the attitude of the staff team shone like a beacon.They actually want you to enjoy yourself!This must be down to the standards set by this hotel group and,particularly,the manager.
Room was clean,warm,pleasantly furnished - free water is a nice touch.
The restaurant is a triumph with it's inventive fusion of traditional and more modern dishes and you won't leave hungry! Equally,breakfast was a first class start to the day.Interesting ine list as well (though not for breakfast!)Leisure centre was fully functional,spotless,and we encountered a member who was still able to talk,endlessly,whilst in the extremey efficient steam room - a rare gift! Thanks to all at the hotel for helping to make our short stay so memorable.We'll be back.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

I was delighted to learn that you both enjoyed your recent one night stay with us and that we will probably have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future. You must try and make it 2 nights next time, then you can truly relax.

Thank you once again for keeping us the number one choice in Lancaster and we hope to welcome you both back very soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2010

Returning to Ayrshire after a short stay in Surrey attending a birthday party, we decided to break up the journey with an overnight in Lancaster.

After 3 depressing nights in the Camberley Travelodge, anything would have been an improvement, but we could not believe our luck in having booked 2 rooms at the Lancaster House Hotel.

Although the Hotel was purpose built in only 1991, it has fantastic character with a huge log fire in the reception/lounge area, a fabulous restaurant with stunning interior design, a skilfully designed lounge bar and great leisure facilities, including an immaculate swimming pool.

The bedrooms were extremely comfortable with huge beds, pristine bathrooms, complementary bottles of spring water, generous high quality toiletries and free WiFi. They even had one of my favourite room facilities - an ice bucket with ice machine conveniently located in the corridor.

The staff were fantastic and evidently very well trained. Of particular note were the young man who continually ensured the log fire was topped up whilst we relaxed with a couple of bottles of wine, the receptionist who 'googled' local antique shops and provided a list for my mother who has an insatiable desire to spend hours looking at old china plates, the friendly maid from Aberdeen who extolled the quality of the hotel and, not forgetting, the waiting staff who served us in the lounge bar and restaurant with an obvious commitment to customer service.

Given the (surely) award winning interior design of the restaurant, I was a little concerned that something had to give (as it often does in some restaurants) and that the food would let it down. This concern was entirely unfounded as the food was top notch - prepared by someone who is clearly talented using high quality ingredients. Despite the quality of ingredients, the portion size was unusually generous, which suited us Scots very well!

We all retired to bed stuffed with delicious food, a bit too much wine and, after the best night's sleep in days, woke to a mouth-watering breakfast.

Well done Lancaster House!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the wonderful review!

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us en-route back to Scotland and I have to say, I don't blame you for breaking up your journey from Surrey. That must be some drive!

Your wonderful comments will, of course, be passed on to all the team here at Lancaster House who always welcome the feedback we receive. The hotel would be nothing without our team, and we invest so much in their training and development to ensure that you, our customers, have a great experience

Thank you once again and please don't hesitate to contact me when you are potentially passing by Lancaster again and I will ensure that you have another enjoyable stay.

Thank you once again for becoming one of our "Raving Fans" and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2010

Just returned from a 2 night midweek break at the Lancaster House Hotel.
This is the second time we've stayed there but this time was much better than the last,although last time was excellent.
We stayed in one of the new studio suites(Rm 211).
What a great room,the bathroom alone was as big as some bedrooms I've stayed in elsewhere!
The Leisure facilities are 1st class.Could not fault a thing.
Even the steam room was working this time,Fab!!!
The food is very good,Wonderful breakfasts with plenty of different choices.
Dinner was very good last night( I recommend the loin of lancashire pork,superb!)
We will definately recommend this hotel to our family & friends if they are ever in the lancaster region.
Thank you Tim.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the fantastic review

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your second stay with us.

Your fantastic comments will, of course, be passed on to all the team here at Lancaster House who always welcome the feedback we receive. The team really do embrace the customer care ethos and are conscious that without you, our loyal guests, there would be no hotel.

I'm glad that you also enjoyed your meals with us in the Foodworks. It's hard to beat a good piece of Pork Loin I must say.

Thank you once again and please don't hesitate to contact me if you are ever planning another visit back to Lancaster and I will ensure that you have another enjoyable stay.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2010

We booked a number of rooms for my sister's wedding. Many of her friends went for the standard rooms but the main family members opted for the deluxe rooms in the annexe. These were very roomy and had excellent facilities. The breakfast room was pleasant and the food/beverage selection reasonable. The style is very much a modern 4 star hotel but there was very little in this hotel to make it feel particularly 'special' which was a shame. The hotel staff were welcoming and attentive but again nothing in particular would make it stand out to mean that this is somewhere that we would go out of our way to re-visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2010

Thank you so much for the positive review.

I was delighted to learn that on the whole, you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you particularly enjoyed our Luxury Studio Suites.

Your comments will, of course, be passed on to all the team here at Lancaster House who always welcome the feedback we receive.

I am sorry that you didn't feel that Lancaster House had that "special" touch you were looking for. That is very much an individual and personal perception I would say, and whilst we are not trying to be something "out of this world" and at the pinnacle of luxury, I would say that judging by the majority of our feedback, we do create a warm, friendly, comfortable hotel environment in which our guests feel relaxed, and that to me is what we as a 4-star Hotel catering for business and leisure guests should be aiming for.

Thank you once again for keeping us the number one choice in Lancaster and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
2 mi away
3 mi away
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#6 of 6 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!