“It's all gone wrong!”

Ranked #3 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Lancaster, England
“It's all gone wrong!”
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Having been to the Mill many times and even posted a glowing review previously, I feel the need to relay an experience I had there recently.

My partner and I live in Lancaster and have stayed at the Mill for a quick get away previously. We often drive out and dine there. Two weeks ago we drove out to the Mill for the first time in several months. The first thing we noticed was how empty the restaurant was for a friday night. Next we noticed that much of the staff seemed to have changed. We were seated and began our meal.

The menu had changed and therefore we ordered meals different to our usual. The starters came and they were nice. Then the mains came out. I ordered the fish pie which came with a spring of green on top. When it was placed in front of me I noticed something black on the white potato-top. I prodded it and it moved. It was a worm, which had probably dropped off the greenery. Being rather stoic, I queitly called back the barmaid and pointed out the worm. She wisked the plate away and brough me another. It came with a short apology but no other compensation. I tried to eat the new pie but had been put off my food and I am afraid we couldn't face pudding after it.

We went up to the till to pay. I fully expected some sort of money off the bill as we had been offered nothing except a short, curt apology for the worm. Precisely the same bar maid charged me full price for the meal without batting an eyelid.

I will never dine there again, not because they made the mistake of not washing their lettuce thoroughly but because they were so rubbish at customer sservice.

Stayed November 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
England
Reviewed 4 March 2007

The Mill Inn at Conders Green, near Glasson offers a very good alternative to staying in Lancaster. It takes around 10 minutes to get to the centre of Lancaster along the A588.

The Mill Inn is in the converted Thurnham Mill, alongside the Lancaster canal, near the costal village of Glasson. It is in a lovely rural setting, with super views of the surrounding countryside all around. We were lucky enough to see herons, ducks and swans flying past. A bird watcher would be in paradise here as the area abounds with wildlife in the marsh area around the Conder estuary.

Our room was clean and comfortable – and had cast-iron work as a feature. The flat screened TV was wall mounted. Picture quality was excellent and there was an excellent choice of both free and ‘pay’ channels. The bathroom was well appointed – and had a large sink and a decent shower.

Breakfast is taken in part of the pub overlooking the canal lock. Breakfast is more than adequate; however I was a little disappointed that the vegetarian breakfast was the full English, minus the meat! Staff at The Mill were very friendly.

The accommodation is above a popular pub – serving excellent looking meals and a good range of drinks (real ale included!) Despite this we were not aware of any noise from customers while in our room.

The Inn is obviously popular as there were large beer gardens, and a super children’s playground.

A good place to stay in a most interesting area ‘off the beaten track’. I look forward to returning in the Summer!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank lindale
Newcastle
Reviewed 28 July 2006

Spent last week at the Mill. Really looking forward to staying here as the website looked great. Number of problems... The location is not good. Basically it's not Lancaster, in fact it's miles and miles from Lancaster. There are two pubs in the general locality (one being the hotel bar) and that's pretty much it. The taxi's were charging me £8 each way to get into Lancaster and the costs mounted. The hotel is nice. New and tidy. The rooms were very hot and the staff struggled to find me a fan - in fact the staff in general were either aplenty or invisible. This, I think, is still a work in progress - I'm sure the general management will get better. The food was ok but the bar and bar area were excellent. Be warned though - this hotel isn't in Lancaster.

• Liked — The bar
  • Disliked — The location
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go if you're planning to spend most of your time in Lancaster
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank SteveGrafton47
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2006

We spent one night at the Mill Inn while collecting our daughter from Lancaster University, for which it is very well placed. We stayed in a 'recently refurbished' room, and it was satisfactory, but it was a very hot night, we were on the top floor and the window only opened an inch so the room was airless. The bed was comfortable enough but I don't think I've ever spent such a hot uncomfortable night, at least not in this country! A fan would have been good but it didn't occur to us to ask for one and there was no indication that fans were available.

There was no drawer space at all, and a grand total of six coat hangers. It didn't matter to us as we were only there one night but it certainly would have been a problem on a longer stay.

We had driven up from London on a very hot day and arrived hot and tired at 1.30pm, hoping to check in and freshen up before going on to Lancaster to start the onerous job of packing our daughter's belongings up, but the earliest check-in was 2pm and we were told the room wasn't ready, although we were given the key. The place was rather impersonal and the member of staff on Reception (Deputy Manager I think) was not very friendly; no effort was made to make us feel welcome, and we were given no information about breakfast (although there was a notice on the wall). When I booked I was told that we would get £5 each off an evening meal but nothing further was said about this, and we ate elsewhere. Breakfast was OK though, reasonable choice and served promptly.

We booked via internet back in May, and had to pay in full in advance, which is rather unusual - it's more customary to give a credit card number. It did speed up our departure though - there was no-one on Reception so we just dropped the key on the desk and left! Not sure if we'd stay there again - it was fine for one night I suppose but I think they need to work on making visitors feel wanted!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank Violet1981
Winchester, UK
Reviewed 28 June 2006

The Mill Inn is a hotel (not a B&B) and part of a chain run by Mitchells, a local brewery.
We booked on the basis of positive TripAdvisor feedback and weren't disappointed.
The hotel is about 4 miles out of town - in a quiet spot (Conder Green) close to a lock on the historic Lancaster Canal. It is a converted Mill building.
Our room and bathroom were very well fitted out and the beds comfortable. Downstairs is a great bar and restaurant - we enjoyed two evening meals here - both of which were excellent and good value. The staff were particularly friendly.
We arrived at the hotel on a very hot afternoon and found our room (just under the roof) a bit hot and stuffy - but the hotel gave us a fan to use which helped - and by the evening, the room was cool.
We booked the hotel through the Mitchell's central booking service and saved £20 per night over the "walk in" rate (a "Summer Special") - UK Freephone 0800 083 7706

Stayed June 2006
7 Thank Winchester_Guide
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2006

We stayed here after a long and stressful journey up the M1/M6 and what a result. Very recently converted and well up to modern standards, flat screen telly etc, all mod cons, internet etc. Excellent restaurant and bar, great food in the evening and as good again at breakfast. The staff were most helpful and obliging. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank BaddyPurt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
#3 of 7 in Lancaster
The Fleece Inn
The Fleece Inn
#1 of 1 in Dolphinholme

Been to The Mill at Conder Green? Share your experiences!