“Ideas above its station”

The Mill at Conder Green
Ranked #3 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“Ideas above its station”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Lovely location and our room had a lovely view of the canal. However, I think the quality if this hotel does snot match the price charged. We arrived to find that instead of paying 65 pounds a night we had to pay 81, this was because my OH hadn't selected the 2 person option. To be honest this was not worth 81 quid of anyone's money. The bed was uncomfortable and appeared quite old. The room to my mind was quite basic although it was decorated nicely. There was a good selection of teas and coffees in the room. I rang a few days before our stay to say could we check in early as we had a wedding at Thurnham Hall at 2 and were travelling up that day (check-in is at 1.30) I was told that even though our room might not be ready we would be found somewhere to change. We arrived to be told that check in wasn't until 1.30 but they would see if our room was ready and that other people had been phoning too this morning, I pointed out that I had phoned a few days before so wasn't expecting a problem. As it was the room was ready so crisis averted.

My OH had the cooked breakfast which he said was good, I had smoked haddock which frankly was overcooked and very rubbery.

I feel overall that this hotel is overpriced for what is on offer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Christopher H, Public Relations Manager at The Mill at Conder Green, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Hi chilliexx,

If you read all my TripAdvisor comments you will see I try to be fair. I will admit when we are in the wrong but on this occasion I take exception to most of your comment. We DO NOT offer an early check-in service and NEVER promise this facility. Therefore the reason you phoned first is not relevant. Please understand we have 16 rooms to change around in 2hrs, so on busy occasions we simply cannot help with early arrivals. Don't get me wrong, whenever possible we WILL get rooms ready early, and we will NEVER refuse a guest who arrives early and require a private space to change. Also we cannot be held responsible for you mistakenly booking only one person and discovering on arrival you need to pay a supplement for the extra guest. I firmly believe we offer GREAT value for money. Our weekend rate (before internet deals) for a modern, double en-suite bedroom, with lovely countryside views, flat screen TV's, FREE wifi, plus a home cooked breakfast is £81.50 at weekends. This is great value, as thousands of satisfied customers tell us on checkout every year.

I believe the reasons for your comments were guided my the mistakes you made during your booking process, plus the fact we are sometimes unable to offer early check in.

Thanks
Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
lanark
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We spent a night at Inn at Conder Green to celebrate my birthday last week. Very impressed with the location, right on the banks of the Lancaster canal. From our room we watched a heron stalking a family of ducklings, fortunately no carnage was done. The restaurant menu is varied and interesting. A selection of starters whetted the appetite then the hotpot hit the spot for my partner, I had the mussels and though the sauce was tasty the mussels themselves were a bit dry and tasteless - perhaps because there was no R in the month?? Or they were overcooked! Breakfast was average. Loved the room (room 12), divided into a sleeping area and a seating area with very comfy leather couch and TV. Kingsize bed very comfortable with good pillows (very important!). The velux window made for a bit of a disturbed night when the heavy rain started.... Bathroom spacious and spotlessly clean. Would recommend this hotel. Would have been 5 stars but for the disappointing mussels and a couple of small holes in the bedsheet!

merseyside
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We could not have chosen a better place.
The location is great for a relaxing break. From the minute we checked in the staff could not have been more helpful. Our room was big, bright and spotless.
We booked a table for our evening meal and the food is truly exceptional. Classic dishes with a modern twist.
Breakfast was more than substantial and it was lovely looking out onto the canal.
Already hoping to make a return visit.

Room Tip: We booked the de.-luxe double room which is spacious
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I selected this hotel using the reviews fro this site... Thank you very much.. I rarely give 5 stars as there literally has to be nothing to fault the place under review...If the only fault I could find was my poached egg with the great breakfast was a touch firm then I am becoming picky in the extreme. Restaurant food exceptional and innovative.Simple things presented with flair. Great location and decor. Super staff. Would make a 50 mile detour to visit again.

Room Tip: Book early
1 Thank floppus
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My wife and I with two other couples stayed here to celebrate a my 50th birthday.
We chose The Mill for it's great location and having already dined here knew the food was very good.
At the side of the Lancaster Canal, near to the coast,in lovely countryside with Lancaster just 4 miles away the location is very good.
The all the staff were friendly service thoughout was excellent.
The evening meal and breakfast were excellent using locally sourced products. My wife is a vegetarian and she commented on quality of her main meal in the evening.
The accommodation was up to standard.
Altogether a great weekend at The Mill with no complaints only compliments.

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Was staying for 2 nights over the weekend to visit Leighton Moss nature reserve with the wife. Great location very peaceful and beautiful views no matter what way you look. The hotel is unique and has been restored to a very modern standard.
Had our evening meal both nights of the stay.The chef has great skill and uses very good local produce. The staff are all very friendly and even during a busy dinner service were quick to make sure everything was attended too.
Only let downs were in the lighting of the room and the shower. To save energy the hotel uses led replacement bulbs they take about 5 minutes to heat up to a proper light and give off a horrible, clinical, cold blue hue not very good to relaxing too. The shower also was covered in black mold and was in need to change or a good clean.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We had a weekend here in may rooms spotless food very good staff very good place nice by the side of the canal keep up the good work.The only thing i will add is that the floors in the bedrooms are wood witch makes it a bit loud underfoot

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
Premier Inn Lancaster Hotel
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to The Mill at Conder Green? Share your experiences!