“Disappointing stay experience - on this occasion.”

Holiday Inn Lancaster
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
Dumfries
“Disappointing stay experience - on this occasion.”
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and after a short wait at reception we checked into an Executive Room on the 3rd floor which had pleasant views overlooking the river.
The hotel was rebranded last year and appeared to have new carpet throughout. The furniture in the bedroom did not appear to have been renewed although large screen televisions are now in place. On the way to our bedroom we passed a trolley in the corridor with leftover room service meals which was a little disappointing to see as it was now 3.15pm.
The hotel is well sited immediately off Junction 34 of the M6 motorway and just minutes from the centre of Lancaster. It is also handily located for touring the South Lakes and the Trough of Bowland and also within easy travelling distance of both Morecambe and Heysham.
Internet access is available in the hotel although chargeable. Ample Free parking is available.
We had Dinner in the hotel restaurant that evening which was quite enjoyable although unusually the tables are only set with a Knife & Fork and a Napkin. This meant that for each of our 3 courses we had changes to our cutlery. Additionally we received separate visits to ask if everything was alright with the meal, do we require any more drinks etc. Over the 3 course dinner if we include the delivery of each course and the removal of plates we had 17 visits from restaurant staff to our table. This appeared to take attentive service to the extreme. The following morning breakfast was also served in the restaurant and a fairly good selection was on offer. Our only criticism would be that when asked if we wanted tea or coffee we received it in a mug with no offer of a teapot.
Checking out of the hotel was also a slow process having to wait for the staff member on reception to finish printing off some paperwork before she attended to us. This gave me time to browse through some leaflets before able to check out.
Throughout the check out process the word "Please" was not used once and only a final "Thank you" as we were handed our receipt.
Our first stay at this hotel was last year just before the hotel was rebranded and proved to be a most enjoyable one. On this occasion our stay experience did not meet our expectations and the hotel seemed to have taken a step backwards in some of its previously good standards.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Stayed here for a 2 day business trip. Ended up having to move midway through the night because of noise from nerby motorway.
The location of your room is vital to avoid noise. Maids made sure that you were up early in the morning with noise outside your room.
Would I stay again, in a word no!

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night at the beginning of May. Check in was quick and the room was reasonable for a Holiday Inn.
Unfortunately we couldn't use the pool as they had a booking system in place, but it looked ok from the restaurant.
The main problem was with breakfast. We were told it was self service for food but that one of the staff would bring us tea or coffee. We waited and nobody served us so we asked a waiter for some tea and were told that he wouldn't get us a hot drink and that we should just make it ourselves using flasks of hot water that they had left out on a table. The water in the flasks was not even hot, so this was really poor. The choice of food at breakfast was also pretty bad - no breads or pastries, no yoghurts etc, and only limited hot food. Breakfast seemed to be totally disorganised and it was as if there was no communication between the staff.
We complained about breakfast at the time and also on check-out and were given an apology, but that doesn't really help when you've paid for Bed & Breakfast and only really get the Bed as the food was not available.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel and we wouldn't stay here again. I have stayed at a lot of Holiday Inn's and this is not one of their best hotels. I certainly wouldn't recommend that you pay for breakfast at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Hoghton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

After reading the other reviews I was sceptical about the hotel. I had booked this as a surprise birthday gift for my husband for a night away.
We will go back.... The hotel was really clean, the staff very friendly and always willing to help. The breakfast was great, plenty of choice, fresh and good quality. I would say to anyone looking to go to Lancaster this hotel would be top of my list. I am planning to take my daughter back soon for a girlie weekend. I will also be sure to recommend this to other members of my family and friends. we have a wedding the in area next year and will definately book. I booked through superbreak but still had a fabulas large room and all the perks that normally come with a holiday inn stay. Please dont let other reviews put you off.

Room Tip: When I booked I requested a quiet room and it was!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mourby
York, England
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in a room with 2 double beds. Very clean and comfortable. We were visiting Lancashire and needed somewhere as a base. The main attractions were the swimming pool and the fact that dogs were allowed (very uncommon in the UK). We booked online and got a very good price but as this didn't include breakfast, we didn't eat at the hotel.
I had read the various critical reviews on TripAdvisor before we went but I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Shropshire
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We are frequent guests at Holiday Inn hotels and are previous visitors to this hotel. Previously we have accepted that this hotel falls short of the normal Holiday Inn standards but this visit will be our last. Yes, it's in a very good location for the Dales or Lakes, but it's just not up to scratch. The bin outside the entrance was overflowing on arrival with many, many cigarette butts on the floor where people just convene outside the hotel entrance. Staff are inattentive or in some cases rude - just not wanting to help. The pool was very cloudy for the first day/night with a poor smell, the jacuzzi was broken and not available. The next day the pool was closed as the pump had broken - I dread to think about the water quality when we were in it the day before! OK, that could happen anytime but the pool area was in poor condition generally - tiles broken and mouldy in places. Sauna and steam room were nice to be fair. Breakfasts were again poor by holiday inn standards - lacking specific items in the hot buffet, cold items were "run out" or just not being replaced quickly enough. Evening meal (we only used this on the first night) was pretty poor quality - kids eat free but they were still hungry - we ordered extra and then asked that it was taken off the bill (which it was). Our children (7&5) are not 'big eaters' not fussy eaters but it was insufficient for them. Staff walk in front of you and don't move to the side. Rooms were fine - clean and comfortable. I was really disappointed with this stay and will not be returning. When we mentioned the above on departure the lady on duty was marginally interested and offered us a £20 reduction on our food bill which we accepted. She told us that the manager will be contacting us to follow this up - 5 days later and I have not heard anything - not losing sleep on this one, but a call would have shown they were at least interested. Cant help but feel that the management should take a drive to Holiday Inn Leeds Brighouse to see how things could and should be run. A pity.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lwshrops

Travellers are raving about these Lancaster hotels

Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2011

on arrival was pleased the coach travel company had chosen this for an overnight stay.Buffet style food.Drinks very expensive.Room very nice. Staff very attentive.
Departed the following morning after a nice breakfast.On arrival at my destination found that I had left something at the hotel.Called them straight away to report this. They as promised did call back,to tell me nothing had been handed in. On arrival back home I did call them again to see if it had come to light.No it had not.My fault for my negligence, BUT they must have a record who cleaned my room after I left. So beware and do check you have all your belongings as by the look of it you wont get them back.

Room Tip: ground floor
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,331 reviews
Pine Lake Resort
Pine Lake Resort
#1 of 9 in Carnforth

Been to Holiday Inn Lancaster? Share your experiences!