“Spotless and welcoming accomodation and food to die for”
Review of Wagon and Horses

Wagon and Horses
Ranked #7 of 215 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Are you looking for somewhere special to eat in Lancaster? Then you simply have to try the Wagon & Horses, for the last couple of years we have secretly been employing one of the best chefs in the area and creating a menu that will rival (and sometimes surpass) any other establishment in Lancaster. We know it's a cliché but we are the best kept culinary secret in the city. We take great pride in our customer service and make sure the standard of food we serve is always of the highest quality making us increasingly one of the most popular gastropubs to eat at. Wherever possible, we are committed to only buying from local suppliers whether it is Garstang Blue Cheese or Lewis's truly amazing Ice Cream, we truly celebrate and insist on giving our customers a true taste of as many delicious produce that Lancaster & Lancashire can offer.As you may or may not know, our Gastro pub reputation is growing rapidly every week and we are very proud to boast about the quality and freshness of our ingredients and we are delighted to announce the completion of our roof top herb and salad garden where we are growing not just our reputation but a vast array of yummy herb and salad to make our dishes incredibleWe want your dining experience at the Wagon & Horses to be a really special, a day to remember, so we are proud to offer a range of mouth-watering starters that include our legendary Asian Style Mussels & the unique experience of our Wagon & Horses Savoury Tart (it's got Black Pudding in you know). After the lip licking has finished you can then choose from two main menus, the first boasting such delights as roasted monkfish (yummy) and our much acclaimed herb Crusted Lamb Rack, once tried - never forgotten. The Classics menu conjures up somewhat more down to earth fayre such as Cumbrian Beef resident burger and (as our quote informs) possibly the best Beer Battered Fish & Chips in the UK. Both menus are bursting with local and seasonal flavours and all dietary requirements can be catered for with vegetarian options galore, we also provide gluten free options. Don't forget, if you are allergic to something or simply don't like one of the ingredients of a meal, we can cook it to your liking...just ask.
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here as a couple over the weekend and what a lovely place. The staff were courteous and welcoming, the room if a little bijou was spotless, as was the rest of the property. The power shower was very welcome as was the comfortable bed and spotless amenities.

We decided to stay for dinner and what can I say, I had Goats cheese tartlet followed by Trio or pork and my partner had mussels followed by rump steak. This was some of the best food I have tasted in a long time, the mussels were to die for.

The breakfast in the morning, was great too, only let down by there being no sausage available.

Would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend either to eat or to stay and eat

Well done to the hosts and their staff...perfect

Date of visit: January 2014

Reviewed 12 January 2014

The Wagon and Horses is a wonderful place to stay, I booked in to surprise a friend who was having a birthday meal, the lady that took the booking and greeted us was 1st class, and extremely accommodating and so friendly. The bar and rooms are spotless. The management and staff could not do enough to ensure that our stay for memorable. I generally stay in 4 / 5 star hotels and I can honestly say the Wagon and Horses did deserves this creditation. The evening meal was quality produce and produced by 5 star chefs. The breakfast was outstanding as well. We spoke to a gentleman who I believe was partners to the lady who greeted us, he was delightful and was really pleased we were surprising our friend for his birthday. I would like to say thank you to all your staff for ensuring our stay was perfect. You run a very good and happy pub/restaurant/accommodation. Will definitely recommend and stay with you again, thats if we can get in !!. Thank you.

Date of visit: January 2014
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The Wagon & Horses is located on St. George's Quay, which is slightly out of the way of the main Lancaster circuit, but this should not discourage you from visiting.

This pub has been well decorated and looks very homely, warm and inviting all year round. I have been several times for the food, which is always served in fantastic large portions and the quality has never let us down. The bar has a great selection of drinks, lagers and ale on draught, bottles, spirits etc.

The service is possibly the best in town. The staff are always incredibly friendly, willing to engage in conversation and banter; ready to go the extra mile and actually provide a real table-waiting service; the landlord and landlady are also friendly and engaging, taking time to speak to the customers and have a conversation, willing to listen to feedback without becoming defensive, and again happy to go that extra mile.

There is a small beer garden, which would be nice to sit in during the summer months. Unfortunately it only has two small tables, and it is also where the smoking patrons go to indulge themselves. However, this is a very minor complaint, on what is all-in-all an excellent venue.

Date of visit: October 2013
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Seeing the amazing reviews on this site for The Wagon and Horses, me and a group of my friends got curious and reckoned we should give it a go. I have to say, the whole thing was tremendous! The pub itself is cosy, warm and welcoming with staff you could describe in the same manner. The bar is very extensive and they have a great selection of ales which we were incredibly happy about! The food was out of this world and for such a great price as well, we could hardly believe it. I literally cannot think of any fault with this restaurant, you have to give it a go yourself! Will most certainly be returning!

Date of visit: October 2013
1  Thank jg2892
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Visited here a few weeks ago just for a drink while visiting Lancaster and was very impressed with the decor and feel of the place. Very friendly atmosphere. My husband ordered a real ale, dizzy blonde. He was very impressed with it. We got chatting to the friendly guy behind the bar and asked about the food. He gave us a menu to take with us. Well, after reading it we decided we had to come back and try it. We did this Saturday. I had the rustic chicken pie and my husband Gary had the beef trinchado. Both were delicious! Gary tried the Tom and Berry beer this time and if I hadn't dragged him away he would easily have sat there all day. We enquired about booking a room in January when we visit again and Liam was very helpful. Will definitely return many times in the future.
Gary and Ali