“Lovely pub”

Wagon and Horses
Ranked #6 of 223 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Are you looking for somewhere special to eat in Lancaster? Then you simply have to try the Wagon & Horses, for the last couple of years we have secretly been employing one of the best chefs in the area and creating a menu that will rival (and sometimes surpass) any other establishment in Lancaster. We know it's a cliché but we are the best kept culinary secret in the city. We take great pride in our customer service and make sure the standard of food we serve is always of the highest quality making us increasingly one of the most popular gastropubs to eat at. Wherever possible, we are committed to only buying from local suppliers whether it is Garstang Blue Cheese or Lewis's truly amazing Ice Cream, we truly celebrate and insist on giving our customers a true taste of as many delicious produce that Lancaster & Lancashire can offer.As you may or may not know, our Gastro pub reputation is growing rapidly every week and we are very proud to boast about the quality and freshness of our ingredients and we are delighted to announce the completion of our roof top herb and salad garden where we are growing not just our reputation but a vast array of yummy herb and salad to make our dishes incredibleWe want your dining experience at the Wagon & Horses to be a really special, a day to remember, so we are proud to offer a range of mouth-watering starters that include our legendary Asian Style Mussels & the unique experience of our Wagon & Horses Savoury Tart (it's got Black Pudding in you know). After the lip licking has finished you can then choose from two main menus, the first boasting such delights as roasted monkfish (yummy) and our much acclaimed herb Crusted Lamb Rack, once tried - never forgotten. The Classics menu conjures up somewhat more down to earth fayre such as Cumbrian Beef resident burger and (as our quote informs) possibly the best Beer Battered Fish & Chips in the UK. Both menus are bursting with local and seasonal flavours and all dietary requirements can be catered for with vegetarian options galore, we also provide gluten free options. Don't forget, if you are allergic to something or simply don't like one of the ingredients of a meal, we can cook it to your liking...just ask.
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

The Wagon and Horses is a really nice, cosy pub that has been refurbished recently and the beers are nice.

Date of visit: November 2016

Reviewed 29 October 2016

Went here for a family birthday, as It used to be one of my favourite pubs, this is the third time I've been now and been disappointed. The pubs atmosphere itself , as always , is lovely and welcoming. We ordered starters, sadly it took a while for them to arrive, as the pies kept exploding in the oven, they did apologise for this, but sadly, my mussels came out cold, I don't know if this is because it had been waiting while they attempted to recook another pie. Then we all ordered mains, most our mains were good, but again my chips came out cold. Sadly nobody did a check, to see how our meals were, and when the gentleman collected our food, he said after the meal, how was everything , when I stated my chips were cold, he felt the need to repeat it back to me? Then didn't even apologise. I didn't feel this was acceptable customer service. In all fairness, the land lady did knock the mussels and another meal off the bill as it was inedible, which is all you can expect. I just feel this pubs reputation has always been so good, which is why people return, but sadly for me, it isn't what it once was, and after three disappointing visits, I won't be returning.

Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

The food here is really very impressive. The game pie starter and pheasant special were absolutely delicious. The staff were unbelievably patient and couldn't do too much for us. Every time we come, it seems to improve.

Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

Staff fantastic, food spot on lovely place to stay will definitely be going back. Arrived and the staff could not be more helpful.

Reviewed 24 October 2016

A little bit off the main roads but well worth finding. The service was excellent and the food well cooked and pleasing on the eye as well as the tastebuds. My daughter particularly enjoyed the pistachio brownie dessert.