“Tasty cosy homecooked”

The Meeting House
Ranked #30 of 243 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$21 - US$41
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
“Tasty cosy homecooked”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Great food see my pics, fab service from when we walked in.Had to wait a while unbeaten courses however we enjoyed this as didn't want to rush, it was busy on a friday night so great cosy atmosphere!The stuffed mushrooms were delicious, the lamb shank tender and yum, they were kind to do dauphinoise with my lamb.Veg portion could be a but bigger but we never said anything as we were still happy, the sticky toffeee wow and the cheeseboard lovely again maybe a but more variety on the cheeses would be good but very tasty anyhow.This restaurant definitely has upped its game from years ago and could be my new fave restaurant in lancaster!However I do think prices need to come down a little bit, I do understand its homecooked food and lovely restaurant but I'm scared that like most restaurants trying,to survive at the minute with it being a slight walk of town I would be wary it will survive.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Heard some great reviews, unfortunately did not live up to the hype”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Booked a table for four people, at 8pm. On arrival we were seated promptly, and handed the menus. I get very excited by food and the menu read well. It took a while to be offered drinks, and with it being fairly quiet couldn't see why. Starters took approx 20mins to arrive, which to me, if you're starting to wonder if they've forgotten your order.. it's too long. A basket of bread would have been a nice compliment for the wait, especially when we're paying between 16 and 20 pounds for a main course. A little goes a long way. The fishcakes were tasty, dry but the chilli sauce was good. The other 3 in the party got the belly pork to start, which the general consensus was again dry but tasty. Once finished we waited for the mains to arrive, which did quite quickly along with a small bowl of uninspiring veg, green beans and carrots. When the waitress was asked if there were any more on the way we got a snotty reply saying we could have if we paid for them. Again, another bowl of veg would not break the bank and would have solved an issue for us, leaving us happy. Her attitude was no good, and to me, either having a bad day or has no customer service skills. I asked for my steak medium and it came rare, was worth 8pounds not 18 and the other meals were disappointing, especially the lamb, that was all bone, I was told. Dessert was delicious in sticky toffee and the house wine was superb and went down a treat. Overall, disappointed on service, overpriced and left dissatisfied.

• Visited May 2014
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Visited this restaurant last night with our children and had a fabulous meal. We arrived at the restaurant and were greeted warmly by the waitress and offered a choice of tables. The restaurant has a lovely ambience and tables were well presented. (no sign of odd cutlery etc as per other reviews). We ordered the special pie, lamb shanks and for my 6 year old son sausages, mash and gravy. The meals were all delicious and perfect sized portions, beautifully presented. My children loved their meals.. .my kids will not eat regular kids trashy food so if thats what you like I wouldn't recommend it as it is quality, homemade food here. Drinks choice was good and the red wine which is available by the glass also was really nice. The restaurant was full but service was fine and we didn't feel rushed at all. A lovely relaxing evening.

london
“Rather disappointing visit”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I passed this restaurant several times and thought how nice it looked. The menu on show had meals at a range of prices and I decided to try it last night.

On entering I was greeted by a young and, I suspect, inexperienced waitress. Perhaps she is a student? Whatever, there was little finesse or poise but I selected a table only to be told it was reserved - the only table in the restaurant to be reserved, she said. On pressing further I was told that it was reserved for 8.00pm. As the time was then just 6.30pm, and I eat quickly, there was clearly no problem there.

One of the dishes I spotted on the outside menu looked tempting - game pie. So after looking at the menu inside I was surprised it was not there. 'Oh, that was a special and isn't on today' I was told.

OK, I thought, sensing things were not well, I shall have the lamb shank, advertised outside for £14.95. But no! On the inside menu, it had magically gone up to £16.00. When challenged, the waitress went to have a look outside and then consulted someone in the kitchens. I was told I could have the dish for the outside, lower, price. Thank you.

The service was reasonably speedy though the waitress seemed to have the whole restaurant to deals with herself and by the time I left it had begun to get busier.

If you decide to go to this restaurant (and the food was pretty good) do check and compare the inside and outside prices and do complain if there is a difference. You too might get a reduction!

• Visited April 2014
Leann S, Manager at The Meeting House, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
You are correct the outside menu didn't quite match the recently changed menu inside. This admittedly was a fault on our part and the menu has been switched. To make out though that our intentions were to lure people in with cheaper prices is ridiculous!

However thankyou for your review, it's these little things we need to be on top of to make our business run better.

Leann
Chef/ manager
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Great food - one of the best in Lancaster”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have been to The Meeting House in Lancaster a few times since it opened and every meal has been very good - we went this week and the sticky toffee pudding was beautiful - will be coming back :)

• Visited April 2014