“Excellent hotel and area, highly recommend”
Review of Toll House Inn

Toll House Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The hotel and its staff were superb for the whole weekend. All restuarant service was excellent and very friendly. Hotel was immaculate and staff were happy to help with everything we needed. Rooms were clean and modern.
The area around the hotel was full of bars, shops, resturants, all within easy walking distance.
Would highly recommend this hotel for city breaks.

Room Tip: We had an end room on the second floor, overlooking the canal. Heard no noise from any other rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Inns-of-Character, General Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

I’m so glad that we were able to make your stay at Penny Street Bridge such an enjoyable one! I shall pass on your comments to all the staff who will also be delighted.
I hope we can welcome you back to Penny Street Bridge again soon.

Paul and all the team

Reviewed 29 August 2011

My mum stayed for one night in February 2011, and she thoroughly enjoyed her visit. When I visited the room I found it to be well furbished, modern, very clean and more spacious than I had imagined. The bathroom was especially lovely. An added bonus that breakfast is included (which was delicious). The staff here are very friendly and helpful. I would highly reccommend.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

I’m delighted that your mother enjoyed her stay here at Penny Street Bridge and that you enjoyed visiting.

We look forward to welcoming you both back.

Paul and the team

Reviewed 20 August 2011

I visited last year and wrote a review then but have recently been back. I was positive previously and am glad to report further improvements. I had a good room overlooking the canal and found it comfortable. The large flat screen TV on the wall was good, and I particularly liked the modernised bathroom, especially the shower. Glad to see that the room rate now includes breakfast - however I would recommend giving the eggs benedict a miss: first time round my eggs were close to raw, and the sauce was a very lurid yellow colour. The availability of free wifi is a plus, but they really need to tweak it so that it is more reliable for rooms on the second floor.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Many thanks for your review – I’m glad to see that you think we have improved as a hotel. We have definitely taken your comments on board and works are ongoing with regards to the wi-fi.
We look forward to seeing you again with hopefully, further improvements next visit.

Paul and all the team

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We had a brilliant one night stay at PSB. Very easy booking just phoned and got a room confirmation by txt. Great service, fantastic room and good food. Parking the car with ease.
I only wish there were more PSB across the UK.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Inns-of-Character, General Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thank you for your kind comments – I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are part of a small collection of inns called Thwaites inns of character - all are uniquely different inns located right in the heart of thriving local communities across the country.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon or maybe one of our sister inns can accommodate you.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

My friend and I decided on a get-a-way for the night. We wanted to be close to the Castle and Town Centre and this place had it all. The rooms were finished to a high standard and the beds were extremely comfortable. I just wish other visitors had consideration at 4am and didnt bang their doors when getting in. The staff were all very helpful and clearly at least one member was doing too many hours but remained smiling throughout. Breakfast was the best I've had in ages and dont be afraid to ask for that extra egg or sausage, you get what you want and its delicious and set us up for the day ahead. All in all a lovely hotel and we would certainly recommend it for anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 8, lovely big windows, but make sure you close those curtains or you will be blind...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay at Penny Street Bridge and I will most definitely pass on your wonderful comments to all the staff.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Friendly staff, lovely room, superb food, brilliant

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay - let’s hope your fourth visit will be just as enjoyable.

Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stay at this hotel frequently whilst on business trips to The University of Cumbria. The hotel is ideally located, 10-15 minutes’ walk from the university and a 5 minute walk to the main town centre. The train station is about 30 minute walk and as I am always laden with baggage when I travel to Lancaster, I prefer to take a taxi. I must also point out that taxis in Lancaster are a LOT cheaper than anywhere else I’ve been in the UK!!
The staff are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and modern. There is air-conditioning in all the rooms, unusual for a UK hotel but very welcoming. The rooms are always kitted out with extra pillows and extra towels and a great selection of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. The bathrooms are very modern and clean and have the most amazingly powerful rain showers. The only problem I have with the rooms are that the Wi-Fi signal cannot reach the rooms on floor 2, which can be a pain if you have lots of work to do in the evening. I get round this by always requesting a 1st floor room, or sitting in the bar to study. The bar is pretty quiet mid-week and has comfortable chairs and plugs to charge a lap top.

The breakfast consists of all the continental usual’s plus the option of a cooked breakfast. The chefs seem eager to please and I’m pretty sure they would conger up anything asked for. I highly recommend the eggs benedict. The breakfast waiter is a bit slow, perhaps he was new when I first started using this hotel, he seems to be getting marginally quicker; I will forgive him as he is just a young boy. Quite often I’ve had to ask for orange juice or butter as there is none set out.
The evening meals are lovely, although with it being Lancashire, you wouldn’t want to be a vegetarian eating here. Everything on the menu is very ‘brown’….pie, battered fish, beef, hot pot. Make sure you leave room for pudding. And a shovel to eat them with as I’m pretty much sure the bread and butter pudding contains a whole loaf of bread. The sticky toffee pudding isn’t much smaller. You could probably share one pudding s between four people!!
I’ve never had any problem with the service. The staff are always happy, friendly and chatty (except for the nervous breakfast waiter). I have found getting a taxi from the hotel in the morning a bother and I would recommend phoning well in advance. I will continue to stay at this hotel on my visits to Lancaster.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Inns-of-Character, General Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Thank you for your kind comments and observations regarding your stay at Penny Street. I will pass them on to all the team who will appreciate them greatly.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Best wishes,
Paul & all the team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
Premier Inn Lancaster Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Toll House Inn? Share your experiences!