“Brilliant”

Black Country Living Museum
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Dudley
More attraction details
Owner description: Covering 26 acres of former industrial land, Black Country Living Museum is uniquely placed to tell the story of the creation of the world’s first industrial landscape. Over fifty authentic shops, houses and workshops have been carefully reconstructed to preserve the character of the region when its manufacturers bought worldwide fame to Black Country Towns. Take a trip on the tram to explore the canal-side village, where you can meet and chat to the costumed characters. Explore the underground mine and experience the authentic sights, sounds, smells and tastes from the past.
Leeds, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Never knew this place existed - we have stayed in the area a number of times over the years and never heard of it. My husband came across a leaflet when on a training course so we based a weekend around visiting this museum and weren't disappointed. Well organised, staff are very interactive, old fish and chip shop on site, reasonable prices

Well worth a visit

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Comment on the Black Country Museum”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I went on a coach trip to the museum on 11July 2014 . It is very well organised with lots to do and see. Many of the staff and volunteers were dressed in costumes of the period and are very helpful. We were able to wander in and out of the various locations and the staff we encountered were very well informed about life and the living conditions of the period. Some of them even acting in character, especially the schoolteacher in the classroom . You can purchase traditional sweets like apple and lemon bonbons . There are plenty of places to sit down and transport to take you around if you needed it . There are several cafes and restaurants providing food at reasonable prices . I had wonderful fish and chips cooked in the traditional way. All in all it was a great day out and I would recommend it to for families or adults .

Pembrokeshire Wales
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Great Place”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Great place to spend the day. Especially if the have a themed event on. Great attractions. The barge trip worth doing. Oh the fish n chips to die for!!

County Donegal, Ireland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Practically Perfect in Every Way!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently visited the museum with my husband and parent-in-law as they are all from the area. I absolutely loved every minute of it. The buildings are all perfectly put together and you really become engrossed in the experience. I have been to similar museums before but found this to be so much better because it has all the shops to buy sweets and cakes, and even cobs and pints from the pub or fish and chips from the chippy. You really get into the experience and its not just passive. I found most of the people in the various houses and shops to be very nice and friendly and full of information about their setting. The smells, the sounds, the heat of the fires made the whole thing so real, and even the people out on the streets in period dress added to the experience. We also went in the mine barge, but I will review it separately - but definitely worth going on that too.
I had coincidentally just recently watched the three series of the BBC drama 'Land Girls' and was so pleasantly surprised to find that much of it was filmed at the museum! It made the visit even better!
We had pints of Banks's, cheese and onion cobs and pork pies in the pub and that was brilliant! Completely uncomplicated and very tasty! Right up my street!
This is very worth a visit by any one of any age. They had a few school trips visiting when we were there and they were all so engrossed in their visit. There is lots to keep children entertained!
I also noticed loads of portable ramps for wheelchair access into the various shops and houses. I would expect it is not 100% wheelchair accessible, but they seem to have done as much as is physically possible given the nature of the facility.

1 Thank Mary L
Sheffield, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Just one caveat regarding a great outing”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As my title suggests I have a negative comment to an otherwise superb day out; on our way out we pay a car parking fee, the cost us an immaterial amount to what feels like a bit of a money grab. Of course I'm aware of their business module that encapsulates the captive audience expect to pay... Well shame on you. Maybe just give a little back to your appreciative customers, once upon a time we were deemed as visitors. No doubt in my mind that the museums management included parking in the ticket price and had the obvious thought that hey ho we can still take a parking fee.
Nevertheless a rewarding full day out. We couldn't help comparing it to Beamish but had the personal thought that while Black Country offered a similar experience to Beamish it was a more condensed overall site; far more manageable in one visit than Beamish. Extremely knowledgeable volunteer/staff that engage visitors of all ages.