“Hotel looks better on the website...”

Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dudley
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having looked at hotels in the area I thought this would be the best option. I'm clearly wrong - reception service is slow, the rooms are small, with no sound proof to the floors or adjacent rooms. I wouldn't stay here again!! The rooms are hot and stuffy with no air conditioning....it's a very basic hotel the premier inn would have been a better option.

• Stayed: June 2014
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I was sorry to learn of your recent experience in Dudley. PLease email me directly and I will follow up personally (darryl.holdnall@village-hotels.com)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

As we arrived at the hotel having endured a much delayed drive stuck in traffic we were not best pleased to see there was a wedding taking place as previous experiences at other venues meant we would be getting very little sleep. And so it was! We ate in the Victory pub part of the hotel and the food was quite poor clearly having been pre prepared and then micro waved to death but as we were on a tight schedule, didn't have time to complain and get replacement. On our return to the hotel witnessed a punch up between some of the wedding guests so wound our way to the room with some trepidation. The rooms themselves are comfortable, the shower is powerful enough but as so often in these type of chain hotels the towels are not really large enough ( I am a 36inch waist) to wrap around. At about midnight the fire alarm went off and then again about 20 minutes later, no one was moving around so I assume it was guests having a ciggerette, the alarm went off again at about 4am and again at 7am, in between other guests coming back to their rooms were attempting the world record for noise. The walls are paper thin so virtually any conversation especially at the top of someones voice is easily heard. My partner has ear plugs so she got some sleep I just laid there and seethed. On the good side the breakfast is very good with a very good choice of fruit and cereals and the breakfast staff are friendly and helpful. When I checked out I was not asked about the stay nor was there any mention of the fire alarm going off during the night, I can only assume its a regular occurance so not worth mentioning. There is very little choice of hotels in this area but even so I would not stay here again, I would rather drive up from London on the day and drive back again in the evening.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms on the left side back onto the large tesco store so would suffer from the noise em...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Ian - I am sorry to read of your expereince on this particualr occasion. Please email me directly and I will follow up on your comments personally. darryl.holdnall@village-hotels.com

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Thought I was on to a good deal when I saw an offer for £49 for a Village Hotel. Sadly I was very disappointed hp during my stay. The reason for the cheaper room rate was the fact there was a wedding on and the room (207) was above the bar and was noisy until late. Luckily I had ear plugs with me so I could get some sleep. Unfortunately my sleep did not last long as at midnight the fire alarm went off. It was turned off after 1minute or so and no-one left the hotel. I managed to get back to sleep but then at 4am the fire alarm went off twice.

On check out I was not asked if I had a good stay and there was no apology for the fire alarm going off. I am sure the fire alarm going off is a one off event but it impacted on my sleep and comfort of the stay.

The rooms were very smart and looked great but the bathroom needs to be updated. The bed and pillows were comfy and it was very nice to have a fan in the room to keep the air circulating in the small room.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room at the front of the hotel if you want a quiet night sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

CJ - Very sorry to learn of the noise disturbance during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies. Please contcat me directly and I will follow up personally (darryl.holdnall@village-hotels.com)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed in an upper deck room as it was for our wedding anniversary, I have to say room was nice but not as good as I expected, no water in the room not clean found bin to be full and carpet dirty by door and no pinchable toiletries, they knew it was our anniversary but nothing put in extra in the room which was disappointing as we had chocolates the time before but overall had à lovely night bed was to die for and breakfast was good spoilt a little by some very loud guests who wonted everyone to hear their conversation but overall would stay again thank you

• Stayed: June 2014

Lynsey - Thank you for making us aware of your wedding anniversary stay. I am sorry that my team missed an opportunity to create a special experience for you but let me know when you are next staying and I will ensure you are well looked after. Kind regards Darryl

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed for two nights with my mum and sister, booking two Upperdeck rooms and wanted to try to give an objective review of the facilities to help you decide if Upperdeck is for you!

On the marketing for these rooms, you are promised: Starbucks in your room (and I've seen a Starbucks 'card' mentioned elsewhere), pinchable toiletries, Bose speakers, squishy beds and Sky Movies. Unfortunately, the toiletries (whilst nice) are not pinchable, there is not a Starbucks card (what they mean is that rather than 2 kenco sachets, you have 'Starbucks' branded coffee sachets), and the Bose speaker was a little crackly and did not charge your ipod whilst playing (a little disappointing). I think Village need to re-address these promises.

That said, you can sign up to be an 'upperdeck' member, which gives you a couple of discounts from associated companies: an out of date Starbucks offer, £15 off when you spend £40 in the Spa and discounted bedding.

I cannot fault the beds, blinds and standard of room as both my sister and mum had a VERY comfortable night sleep, and the room was quite quiet - aside from the changing of bar barrels waking me up one morning, I was little disturbed. However, having taken a sneaky peak at the standard rooms, they seem about the same size as the rooms - the only difference that I could spot being that upperdeck uses key card rather than door key.

I read a review that the rooms are a little tired, which made me enter with trepidation, but really ours was as you'd expect; a few scratches on the chair and a tired tile or two, but on the whole very good. We also enjoyed the luxury of part of the bathroom mirror being steam resistant!

On check in, we were served by a gentleman called Karl both nights, who was very friendly and very helpful - just want you want from a receptionist. Further, as we were visiting to attend a funeral, I asked reception if there was anyway we could check in at 11:30, and they were able to accommodate this request - extremely helpful and didn't make me feel like a burden as some receptionists might.

We ate in the grill one night and whilst the portions were VERY generous and bread and olives were beautiful, our mains were a little disappointing and bland. My mum had breakfast one of the mornings which cost £6, and she seemed happy with it.

Spa facilities were well maintained, if a little busy but the gym was very quiet for peak time on a Thursday and had plenty equipment to keep me and my sister busy.

On the whole, the hotel was well kept, staff were very friendly and gym/spa facilities were good to have on hand, but I'm not sure it was worth us upgrading to upperdeck on this occasion.

Room Tip: If you stay in any of the 500's, make note that you have to travel up two different lifts to get...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Flisseeby

Wow - Thank you for such a great and comprehensive assessment of your stay. We will take the comments on board where action is needed. Pleased to read your overall stay was a good one and we hope to convince you that Upper Deck is a great upgrade for not very much money. Full sky HD Movies for one, luxury Egyptian Bedding and the member benefits are certainly worth the extra. We will check out the problem you had with the BOSE dock, there are some compatability issues since IPHONE 5 but we have resolved that with bluetooth adaptions. Thanks once again - Darryl

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The check in staff were very friendly and pleasant and it was very smooth. We stayed in a family room which was in need of upgrading the carpets were stained and the walls were marked and dirty. The beds was comfortable and bathroom adequate. However the hotel was very noisey with other guests shouting and bawling all hours of the early morning. The staff in the restaurant at dinner were not very pleasant and very slow at serving us. We ordered two bottles of house wine with our meal and one of the bottles had already be opened and used (this should never of been allowed to happen) The staff were not apologetic at all they just changed the bottle. The meal was okish but not to the usual De Vere standard. The staff at breakfast were much nicer and helpful and the breakfast was fine apart from the fact there was no apple juice for the children. The leisure center was really good with a lovely warm pool and excellent facilities. All in not a very good experience and by far the worst Village hotel we have stayed in. I will not be using it again as there are far better ones in the Dudley area. Have stayed at the Copthorne which was much nicer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I was sorry to learn of your expereince when you stayed with us. Please email me directly when you are next looking to stay in Dudley and I will organise a room for you (darryl.holdnall@village-hotels.com) Regards Darryl

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stay at this hotel once sometimes twice a week and the service is always excellent. The rooms are clean and a decent size, there is a large gym and pool, and a Starbucks by reception. The restaurant food is of a reasonable quality but there are several restaurants within a ten minute walk. I would advise an early breakfast as the quantity and quality declines as its a busy hotel.

Room Tip: There is a section of the hotel with newly refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
dleeh456, Front Office Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

I am delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us at the Village Urban Resort Dudley, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
Katherine Jeffries

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#6 of 7 in Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley? Share your experiences!