“Very Impressed”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very Impressed”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We went to the Lime last Saturday as a result of a suggestion from my daughter. She been there and was very impressed but I was mindful that she’s a tikka masalla person.

To be honest I wasn’t overly keen on going as I didn’t have a great experience when it was the former chilli n crème. I was wondering if the new name was just part of a facelift but as I wanted somewhere different and close we took the plunge - and how pleased am I that we did.

They have done an impressive job on the refurb, it’s contemporary but not cold and apparently there is still a little more to be done.
It was about half full on the night, and the first thing I noticed after the décor was the abundance of staff, all of whom seemed happy in their work. This gave off a friendly vibe that we liked.
The restaurant is also slightly unusual in as much that although it is licensed they are more than happy for you to take in your own alcohol.

The menu choice is slightly more “specials” based than some restaurants and this is often a concern of mine as some places like to charge a lot extra for what is often extremely similar food to the standard menu. Although our waiter did push the specials, their prices were actually very reasonable so we decided to give them a try in lieu of the more usual.

The popadoms and chutney tray were standard fare with generous dips and a littler cheaper than some places we’ve recently been to.
The wife was cutting down so unfortunately only the one starter to comment on which was my Korai kebab. It was excellent too, a stir fry sheek kebab with onions & peppers that was very tasty with a little heat - I couldn’t fault it.

We have had a few disappointments with some main courses recently as we have found them to be lacking in taste. We opted for the specials of garlic chilli bahar and the lime pot chicken as we thought would suit our taste preferences better.
It’s not very often that the wife and I are completely happy with the mains but this night was an exception. The bahar reminded me of one I had 25 years ago, that one was so nice that the memory has stayed with me this long. It was reddish in colour, very, very tasty, with a hint of heat and sweetness which was perfect for my palette. When the wife’s lime pot was unveiled it had quite a dark appearance which reflected the amount of spices in it. There was a slight concern as she not keen on chilli but the dish was indeed medium in heat as promised. She liked it so much that she insisted I had to have a taste, and yes it was that good.
The main courses were so good that it made the sundries almost immaterial but just to confirm that the fried rice and garlic & coriander naan were very good whilst the chips standard fare.

The portions throughout were generous and as a result we had no room for a dessert. I’m not a fan of those standard dessert lists but we have a look and I noticed they had a few others e.g., a banana fritter for good measure.

Service was pleasant throughout, attentive but not over bearing and the timing between courses was just right for us.

It’s not perfect; the music at first I didn’t think was in keeping and it was later changed to something more appropriate. A table warmer would have been nice, I prefer home made chips and the dessert prices (especially the kids’ choice) were a bit high compared to some.
I mention these to be fair and balanced and also I would have to break my duck and give it a 5 Star rating which to me is perfection. Even I think only 4 stars is unfair considering it’s the best night I have had for a long time but where do you go there?

Sedgely is well blessed in the quality of its Indian Restaurants. I’m not sitting on the fence but I would be happy to go to any of them and when I noticed that Chilli & Crème had gone and the Lime had taken over I must admit to thinking that I doubt that it would last long. Based on my admittedly one off experience they have thrown down a challenge to others. It really is very very good and I’m sure will build up a following. It’s well worth a visit and I can’t wait to go back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible service and poor food!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Went in with a couple of friends, we go to another restaurant regularly nearby but this was new so we decided to try it. It was a disappointment, the restaurant looked nice but the food was terrible alongside the service!! The waiters kept on hassling us asking us every minute if we would like anything, this kept on distracting us from or meal. The curries we ordered looked and tasted the same, only the onions were cut in different sizes. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

1 Thank ReshA123
Dudley, United Kingdom
“love the changes”
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

been several times since change. great food great staff love the decor. added bonus although licensed can take your own drinks. all round great place to eat and socialise.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Wow food is absoluty beautiful and the new decor is grand well done lad's done yourselves proud. Defo recommend.

West Midlands
“Nice new takeaway”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Had a takeaway and food was lovely, good size portions and friendly staff when we went to collect our meal.

Visited July 2013